Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He also replaced Peter Simon as Scott on SFT for a while before Scott and Kathy were written out.Peter had played Scott for so many years and was so identified with the role that Ratray never stood a chance.

i wonder if he hoped for a long stint on a soap but never lucked out.

• Members

Aww, thanks for posting that Carl. I just LOVE her. I was devastated and at a loss when AW let her go. It's a shame she hasn't done much since. I don't care how many years Judi Evans played the part and how popular defining she became- Cali Timmins will always be the true Paulina to me, much like Deb Adair is still my Kate, despite Koslow having played her for like 14 years.

• Members

I like Judi Evans, although it's still a tough adjustment for me when I see her in the earlier episodes - she's a bit tough, and the vulnerability isn't quite as on the surface - but there's something so ethereal about Cali's work as Paulina, so fragile, yet tough too, when she has to be.

At the time you were watching these did you think they were pairing up Pauline/Jamie? I did wonder when they had Jamie worrying so much about Paulina, holding her in her room on her wedding day, then didn't Marley become convinced they were involved?

Do you think the show should have gone there?

I know I mentioned this a while back but I found that Digest with Tom Eplin and Ellen Wheeler on the cover, I'll try to scan some of it soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

On this terribly boring Saturday off for me for whatever reason why looking through the thread on Courtney's passing from January but here's this for an anecdote and some juicy gossip. In the late 90s a person on the old Jump the Shark website commented they stopped watching the show after an encounter with Victoria Wyndham. Appearantly, Wyndham went to an ice cream shop in I believe it was in Connecticut or Rhode Island and created a scene, being quite nasty to the person's mother who owned the shop or something over the service. The poster vowed not to watch AW again.

An interesting anecdote considering I've always thought VW to be a gracious woman off-screen with perhaps a few diva quirks here and there.

• Members

I've heard that a few times (the story I mean). VW always seemed to have some craziness in her performance so I wasn't too surprised if that translated to real life, although I don't think we ever heard about any bad behavior onset or with other actors.

I remember on the old Jump the Shark site, the entry for My Three Sons, the woman who played Dody came on to try to say something about all the attacks against her.

This isn't the same thing but in one of the old magazines I was reading that they initially did not plan to kill off John Randolph, and it was only the delay in the debut of the 90 minute episodes that they decided to kill him, because they wanted to shock viewers. This cavalier attitude towards veteran characters is a good reason why ratings fell so hard at that time...

Something else I have always wondered about with AW is Lahoma. Ann Wedgworth is so unlike most who were ever on AW (although she might have worked as a Frame) and was so unique to soaps in general. I've always wondered how she became so popular, if it was gradual. Did she start out as a small player?

I wish I could see more of Lucas too. Jordan Charney seemed to struggle outside of that role. I wonder if the show made enough of an effort when they brought him back after Somerset.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

LOL, I also read that anecdote, I believe on both JTS and WoST and I believe I've even repeated it on here. :P I mean, I wasn't there so I really shouldn't judge and I doubt VW's losing sleep (or money) over this, but it goes to show how an alleged incident of bad behaviour from a celeb can just live on and on. ^_^

• Members

JTS was a website that has definitely jumped the shark to where it is now...owned by TV Guide and yes that is very LOL worthy. Oddly enough SFK it was one of your posts that reminded me of it. Go back to the RIP Jacqueline Courtney thread in the DTS section. I had recanted a WOST poster's anecdote of a reaction to Wesley Ann Pfenning taking over from Susan Harney. When you said Kelly, all of those fascinating tales of soaps in the 70s and 80s came flowing back. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just bumping this thread to say Richard Bekins (the definitive Jamie Frame) has a small role in the new Bradley Cooper movie, "Limitless." He doesn't look so good, but that's part of the plot. And his character's wife is played by Patricia Kalember (Loving's Merrill).