Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Once Rauch left in early 1983, Allen Potter and writers Dorothy Ann Purser and Robert Soderberg cleaned up the mess Rauch left pretty quickly.  Potter continued with Gary Tomlin and Richard Culliton as writers in 1984 and the show was good.  Had Potter not retired at the end of 1984, we would not have had all the nonsense with EP Stephen Schenkel in 1985 - Rachel’s amnesia, Larry and the Miami Vice storyline, La Soliel, the Egyptian treasure, the urn with the poison dust, etc.

• Members

Aside from the show's creators, I would list the following as Another World's most influential head-writers:  

#1 Harding Lemay (both eras).  In his first stint, Lemay tightened the show's focus on social-class differences and created Iris, Mac, Clarice, the Frame siblings (aside from Steve), and many other long running characters.  He also paired Rachel with Mac (AW's longest running love story).  During Lemay's second period as head-writer, he brought back Iris and Vivien, is given credit for the return of Sharlene, Josie, and Russ, and made Felicia a believable living, breathing human (rather than a cartoon character).  So Lemay changed AW forever two different times.

#2 Agnes Nixon. Nixon gave Another World it's first real success in the ratings, while creating Ada, Rachel, Sam and Lahoma, the adult Russ Matthews, Steve Frame, and Lenore Curtain among others.  She did all this while still keeping the Matthews family firmly at the center of the show.  She continued the tortured romance of Bill and Missy (AW's first super-couple), and created AW's blockbuster romantic triangle -- Alice/Steve/Rachel.   Nixon changed Another World forever.   

#3 (Writer's name unknown to me) Whichever head-writer created Cass Winthrop, Felicia Gallant, and Donna Love. The period from 1979 (post-Lemay) to 1983 saw dozens of new characters come and go, yet none of them had any staying power (with the possible exception of Sandy Cory).  That bad karma ended with three new characters who lasted until the end -- Cass, Felicia, and Donna. So this head-writer changed AW forever.  And if Cass, Felicia, and Donna were not all created by the same head-writer, then I will give this credit to whichever writer created two out of the three characters.  

My opinions only.