Y&R: Week of April 27, 2009

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh my. No, I'll agree to disagree tonight, because I still have to finish writing an exam for my class tomorrow.

I'll simply say this: I'm never bored when Judith is on the screen. I'd trade a Gloria (and a Gloria scene) for every Lily, Colleen, Tyra, Victoria, etc. scene. I'd even trade Gloria for Jana.

She entertains me, she's able sometimes to get me angry, compassionate, or laughing. She has a lot of range, and I don't care if she chews some scenery...it goes with her character.

But for as long as she graces our screens, I win :)

• Members

I thought she was at her best as a character during the HIV scare she had when Nathan cheated with Keesha. After his death the show seemed to have no idea where to go with her.

I also liked the story where she carried Nate even though she was battling a potentially fatal soap illness.

• Members

I always thought Olivia was one of those "everyday characters" so I always had a soft spot for her, and still do. Plus, TLW is so gorgeous and insanely talented, beyond just acting.

No Chipmunk talk today? LoL. That scary little rodent actually cracked me up today. "You and me Kevin, best buddies."

• Members

It's over. I'm glad.

When all was said and done, the Chipmunk (post-arrest, in Kevin's head) only amounted to something like seven episodes. Not exactly the Story That Swallowed a Whole Show. Still, it should have only been one or two. But seven is not the end of the world. It's not even really a story. Just a mini-arc.

• Members

This is what I liked about Olivia. No soap needs a full slate of over the top, crazy characters. She seemed very real. Where she lost me was when she became this long continuous nag to Dru, and when they stuck her with Neil and Malcolm.

• Members

The voice actress said it was only 6 episodes.

You know, even now, the problem I have with it is the chipmunk...not the duration.

(I have a secondary problem...which is that "boxing for your mental freedom" is something Michael and Kevin did -- sublimely and to Emmy success -- under Jack Smith's pen. So I'm not sure why that was repeated).

As someone said (Khan?), had the Chipmunk been Terrible Tom (who was just ON...so we know he could be gotten), the whole story would have actually been gripping, rather than...silly.

I'd kill to know why they went with the chipmunk, and it really was meant for within-writer's-group entertainment (how fun to write about chipmunks in breakdowns and talk about chipmunks in conferences). But a potentially great story was squandered, somewhat, at the feet of this silly symbol.

Archived