Y&R: Week of April 27, 2009

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Copying this over from the older thread, since this is really about this week.

Why does Gloria NEED to sincerely atone? Why can't she be the reckless bad girl who consistently makes wrong choices?

For me, part of Gloria's charm has been her inability to acknowledge her wrongness. Most of the time, she feels justified. That capacity for self-delusion is fascinating.

Indeed, that is why I am concerned if she starts confessing. Because then she loses the protective envelope of "I felt justified".

Oh well, it doesn't matter. Gloria could turn into the GC serial killer and, if JC plays her, I'd likely give her a pass.

Actually, that last sentence is a trigger for me: I see why the Baldwin boys give her a pass, because I am similarly enchanted by her.

• Members

The fact is that we don't want to see either of the four trying to fix their crimes again. But we all know it's going to happen in the near future. As soon as they all becoming normal, people start rambling that they've lost their charm.

• Members

Glo never seriously atones for anything and she is the only person deluded into thinking that she has. She is the ultimate grifter and her sense of justification fits right into that profile. Her sons forgive her because of some perceived past injustice that has been heaped upon her by River, Tom or who ever.

I can see TIIC changing her back story to "having been abandoned and given away by her mother upteen years ago", instead of letting her be. This of course would be a shame because every good series needs a villian who creates mayhem--just because.

• Members

I think that's the problem too. That they never own up to it. And it would be so much more of a pleasure to watch if they never owned up to it in a sinister way, as if they were doing evil and saying, "Yeah, I'm a bada** mofo. I got my lawyer and no one can touch me," instead of, "Woe is me. I can't help but be greedy. It's an addiction, like alcohol. But it's a good thing I got my son to intervene whenever I fall off the 'Gecco' wagon."

I don't want to feel sorry for villains; especially ones who never learn. And if they never learn, have them commit crimes over something they really can't help (like avenging a rape or a murder) or commit crimes that aren't felonies for once?

Darn it.

• Members

At the end of the day, Gloria and her "little helpers" are way better than various characters on that show, IMO, which I won't name just because today I'm tired of writing their name down.

Archived