Y&R - I want to see more storylines of the younger characters

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I can understand you identifying with the teen scene if you are a teen

but GH just garnered a 1.9 with their tween scene (twenty somethings)

I like teen characters, tween characters, thirty forty, etc somethings

I have been seeing storylines with these young players the thing is they can't

stand alone in story and while the old guard may bore you the teen scene

will bore others it has to be a good mix for me to find a show interesting

"a balance"

I don't want to turn on a soap to see High School Musical

OLTL tried it not sure if it was well received but but they have a teen scene.

• Members

I don't mean this in an offensive way to you moila, but it is posts like these that give younger viewers such a bad name.

Honestly, when I was growing up watching GL, do you think I loved Marah? Shayne? Tony? Sandy? Tammy? NO! I hated them, partly because they all SUCKED as actors and had little depth as characters. Because regardless of what pop media makes it out to be, adolescence is just plain boring. Most teens do not go through the kind of angst that is portrayed on tv. Not to mention that teens are so much more complex than they are shown on tv (Example: Why did it take Troy Bolton THREE MOVIES to figure out that he could do basketball *and* acting!? You have to choose a major at college and sports ain't one of them unless you want to be in management you dolt!).

Plus, had I wanted to watch myself, I'd have looked in a mirror and not on a soap. Older characters have the kind of life experiences and knowledge (or lack thereof) that just make them more fascinating to watch IMO. Most young people don't want to be thought of as young people. They are growing up fast and all they want is for their childhood to be over faster still. I would think that they would be more connected to the older characters, whose lives they want to lead someday.

In the end, I just want (and have always wanted) to be entertained by a good story, regardless of the age, ethnicity, or gender of the characters. I hate it when TPTB think that younger people are too stupid or immature to appreciate complex and intelligent storytelling. This is why one of my pet peeves is when they attempt to dumb down storytelling to fit the almighty 18-49 demo. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person thank you. I can get it. The OC was an interesting show for what it was and Y&R is an interesting show for what IT is. But it is comparing apples and oranges.

• Members

If you want wall-to-wall teens, watch The CW. Or better yet, watch "Friday Night Lights" because that's a damn good show that can use some ratings love.

I kinda disagree and agree. Adolescence, at least the one I've had, can be far from boring. But like you said, the lives of teens are much much more complex than what we see on TV and in movies, and the mistake is not following on that. If someone would just write and produce a teen drama and didn't saddle the characters with serious uber-adult stories and instead, gave them stories that are actually unique and common for teenagers, I think there could be a lot of quality there. I'm the type who can see a story in just about anything, and all throughout high school, there were so many situations and events that I thought would make for interesting stories, but those types of things have really yet to appear in television or movies. Take "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." Chick gets knocked up at band camp. Yet over two whole seasons, I don't think we've ever seen her play a note or march a step. But we have a 15-year-old boy who wants to marry a girl who is pregnant for another guy's child. Really?!

Other shows have this one scheming against that one, and this one sleeping with that one's boyfriend, and blah blah blah. No. These are teens. We don't spend 95% of our time scheming and plotting against our friends and stealing their boyfriends. We do like to have fun from time to time. Sometimes it's mundane, but like I said, I can see a story in anything.

• Members

I'd like to see more SLs for fetuses. For example, I think the Ash-Tache fetus would bring a lot to the show. I think we should also fire the baby that plays Cordelia as she is no longer a fetus and, consequently, WAY too old. And old = major SUCK.

• Members

I have to say, when I started watching DAYS and Y&R, teens were dominating both shows. And I loved both groups. I loved Mac, Billy, Raul, Rianna etc on Y&R. But I would never not watch anything with Jill, Kay, Nikki, Victor etc... They were also amazing! Same with DAYS...

I never thought my age had anything to do with characters I liked.

Now, I am 25. And I still love all the characters, as long as their actors are good and the story is good.

• Members

OMG!

This post had me rolling...... :lol:

You know what they say about opinions? If you don't google will fill in the blanks.

For every person that likes the people you do there many more who like the people you don't.

If you want a soap that showcases the age range your looking for then check out Days, they got rid of almost all of their vets so there are only a few people who are middle aged and older still left.

• Members

The ageism that has crept into most soaps is of course one of the reasons they are where they are in the first place.

The other reason is that the PTBs foolishly underestimated the intelligence of their supposed target demographic, who instead tunes out in droves because they insult their intelligence. The real problem with the teen/adolescent characters isn't having them on air, rather the stories being written. Y&R has always had a great multigenerational canvas in which the generations interact, and ATWT was also very good in this particularly during the Marland years.

Days got into it with the whole "Salem High" thingy from 1999 onwards. Sally Sussman-Morrina and Lorraine Broderick each wanted to phase them in gradually, but Langan wanted to throw them in our faces and he won out, to the detriment of the show ever since.

Archived