ATWT: March Discussion Thread

• Members

I love polls, love when someone I like gets in them...but c'mon...there's a reason Van has dominated them for the past year. It's the result of an organized effort, pimped every freakin' day on Van's site. If they could figure out a way to vote for two men, Jake would be right up there with him. I love Liz Hubbard...but do you really think that her year-long ride (just recently ended) named as the top ATWT female performer on SOD's list was because of her performance? She's barely been on for most of that time.

I won't say he doesn't deserve pre-noms, but I think there are a lot of factors for him getting nom'd. Previous years, his age factored in to it---ATWT isn't overrun with younger actors who could compete for the pre-nom. And now, I think it would be hard for the cast NOT to nominate him. He and Nuke are arguably ATWT's biggest publicity machine.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This year, however, he is in the pre-noms for Best Supporting Actor. :) He's 27 and too old to be in the pre-noms for Best Younger Performer. Also, Jake has not made the pre-noms. Not that I don't think he doesn't deserve it, but I don't think they're not getting nominated just because they play gay characters.

• Members

And Jake is barely more than a day player. I don't know his age, so I'm not sure if he'd be eligible for the category this year. Even if he was, I don't think he deserved a pre-nom over Hazen or Magnussen, who both really had lots of story last year.

I know Van's too old for the younger category now, but is the cast going to nominate someone like Austin Peck (who I swear was pre-nom'd last year, but I'm not looking it up) with his rather ordinary storyline and decreased air time over the year, over press-darling Van?

Yes, it's all a matter of taste...but I'd have trouble recalling one scene of Van's from last year I didn't end up rolling my eyes through...because even when he hits an emotional note, he goes and ruins it by OVERreacting, IMO.

• Members

And it looks like they might have won the GLADD award (photo of them in the press room holding an award but I refuse to look farther) which means we are just going to be stuck with more of the same crap.

Word on the polls--these days, that can't be an argument of popularity at all, just well organized and in front of the computer a lot.

Van's popularity with the cast/previous nominations IMO played more into this year than his actual work.

Ok back to the actual show---random question to pose---do you think Carly's developed a drinking problem? CBS SID (I know, I need to consider the source) has their message board pages about Carly's drinking problem. While yea, she's been drinking but it didn't seem like they are going there. Or I missed the subtle message on that story (too bad they can't balance the subtle with Nuke's over the topness)

• Members

I do think that's where it's going. I kind of doubt that was the original plan, but I think it's due to Maura's pregnancy. I have to admit I was kind of shocked that they'd go there with Carly. You can actually see it escalating, which for this show lately is extraordinary. (What would be a miracle is them digging out actual clips of her drinking through the years when stressed...but then again, I'm sure we won't get that...)

Yeah, I think there's been "messages" that she's using alcohol to cope. First it was with Jack's marriage...then it was about creating "Midnight Sun"...now it's about Parker. Lately, she's never without a glass in her hand, ordering wine with lunch. She can't bed Craig without being soaked in vodka (which is probably the best way.... :rolleyes:;) )

• Members

Luke: I was able to [charm you], so it can't be that hard.

Noah: It wasn't the charm *wink wink, nudge nudge*

What was it, huh, Noah? Was it Luke's pissy attitude towards you? Was it the way he beat you over the head with "You want me!!!" over and over again?

And I'm so glad Kim went back to her old hairstyle. The one she was rocking for most of 2008 wasn't a fave.

• Members

The month is now about over and I have to admit I haven't watched a full episode of ATWT in that muich time and more. I have been a fan almost all my life and have kept up with it over 35 years. It is sad what this show has become.

I read the boards,especially SON to keep up.

I figure when Ron,a fellow old school fan,PJ a fellow CarJack/Maura fan and Dusty a fellow Martha/realLiliden fan posts a positive post about ATWT then it will be time to check in again.

I am afraid I am going to be reading the boards and magazines to get my ATWT info for a long time to come,LOL!

• Members

It's pretty bad. In the past, even when the show had horrible storylines, I could still watch an episode all the way through here and there and fully enjoy it...but now, it's just not possible. Everything moves so fast, it's hard to feel anything for anyone. Luke was hit by a car, and within five minutes of airtime, he was in a bed at the hospital, conscious, and explaining everything that happened. Come on, now. Really? That doesn't even happen in primetime.

• Members

I thought all the Luke and Noah stuff today was just plain silly. The gay couples I hang around never act that way. Is there a point to Nuke anymore? I wish they would just go away.

The whole month has been filled with bad writng. I don't care at all for the Katie/Vienna/Henry/Brad pregnancy storyine. It's been done so many times by Jean. Plus I dont care for the characters involved in the story. Besides that we've had Puberty full force again. Parker acting like a total brat. Liberty having no brain at all and letting Parker live her life. A judge deciding they can get married. Another judge deciding Craig should be in charge of Parker's trust fund. Really?? In what universe??

The acting by West and Park still shines. But the story is getting tiring and so repetitve.

Finally, we've had Nuke and its gay rights. A total snoozefest of a story. The only bright spot is seeing Damian. The soap is in hot water. Last week's 1.8 in the ratings is no fluke. Goutman and Passanante truly deserve that number.

• Members

Talk about stretching the imagination---after years of bumping uglies with Henry all over the place without getting pregnant, now all it takes is the thought of being a surrogate for Katie and voila-- fertilization or sexx/results /sonogram all taking place in what seemed like 48 hours.

Could this be the reason why Lucy is acting so strange. Who is she working with??

• Members

Hey, homey, so that's where you've been. I can't even imagine this summer, bein' Maura free for months. I might need some kind of rehab myself.

UGH...shows like today's suck the ol' chum bucket. Why bring Damian back for this claptrap?? And the entire Bratie/HenV mess is so utterly ridiculous it makes my teeth hurt. WHO on earth would think a story of two people giving up their child to two emotional DIPSTICKS like Brad and Katie would be must see tv????

• Members

..... add to that the constant Dusty/Meg/Paul merry -go -around and Parker and Liberty. Must see TV indeed!

When I look at Paolo Seganti I think of Martha Byrne not only because they playwd well together but they are personal friends IRL and she has been responsible for many of his returns. I can't invest in NB.

When I think of Cady and the way Goutman keeps bringing her back just to fire her I realize Goutman is channeling Bradley Bell.

Speaking of Bell Y&R is a show that knows how to use their vets and their history. ATWT has more vets and even more history that could be weaved in to Vienna and Liberty etc,etc!

• Members

I honestly don't know why they even bothered recasting the role. Yes...Lily used to be a touchstone for a lot of viewers. But I think the Carly/Holden affair was much more detrimental to the show than the loss of Martha. IMO, that was "drama" used to distract. And in the end, I don't think anyone cared. Lily's so far on the backburner, it's not funny. They trot her out to support Luke's story. BIG WHOOP.

Today, Noelle kind of flipped her hair and high-fived Holden when she one-upped Damian. WTH?? That's not Lily---that's a trailer-trash move ala Janet.

Archived