ATWT: March Discussion Thread

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awww....I used to love General Mobspital. He shared my Maura love!

But I don't like Julie Pinson. I don't understand the hard on ATWT has for ex-ABC actors. Other than Cady McClain, it's hard to recall one I could stand for any length of time.

• Members

I think there are about a dozen characters I'd rather see written off than Luke. Dusty should be dead; bringing him back brought NOTHING to the show. Paul's character is practically unrecognizable-- he's been "dead" for some time now. Brad and Katie are boring as hell, and I don't see much chemistry between them... and I haven't come across many Bratie fans. Vienna and Henry are hard to take seriously 99% of the time. And although Noelle's a sweetheart, Lily is just not Lily anymore.

I find myself not really caring about the characters anymore. I do love Luke and Noah... throw tomatoes or whatever for that; but I feel like they have a lot of chemistry and have been unfortunate to be placed in some really awful storylines. This next one shows promise...

Besides Nuke, I like Craig and Carly, and I of course love Holden and the vets. But, besides that... I don't even know why I try anymore. Jack is such an [!@#$%^&*]; I'm finding it so hard to like him at all anymore, although the tough love he gave to Parker last week had me applauding.

• Members

Okay; I agree As the World Turns' storytelling as of late has been less than eloquent; but they should be ashamed? Really? :huh:

ATWT is the first American soap in history to show a loving gay couple on screen. Whether or not they've told it in all the best ways (they clearly haven't), the fact is that they have. They had the balls to take it on and haven't "turned" Luke or Noah bi or straight because they got scared. The AFA protested the relationship for months and they lost. In no way should they be ashamed of themselves. :blink:

• Members

Not to belabor the point, and while I respect a fan's like to like what they like (well, most of the time, unless I'm on a tear about Craig....) the fact that ATWT has "the first loving gay couple" doesn't really excuse the shoddy writing of said couple. If that was a hetero couple, I got a feeling a lot of people would roll their eyes at the earnest, well-meaning but boring and predictable "romance" they shared.

If ATWT really had balls, they'd give Luke and Noah some challenging material (of any kind) and not a continual stream of six week bad Scooby-doo* like plots.

*bad as in the later years including Scrappy-doo, just so's we're clear. I don't wish to besmirch the original classic. ;)

• Members

I respectfully disagree. When you write shitty story after shitty story, you should be ashamed. I respect the opinion of the so-called "Nuke nation" that ATWT should be commended for going there and putting two gay characters on the screen, but for many of us, Nuke is just not what we hoped for in daytime's first major gay male couple.

...or this.

The whole show is a continual stream of bad six-week plots, with villains of the month, couples of the month, etc. I don't see why Nuke's bad six-week plots and villains of the month should be excused just because they're gay. IMO, that's just ridiculous, and it goes against what the ultimate goal should be. They think they can give us any old storyline, as long as Luke and Noah kiss and hug and all that good stuff. No. I like substance on soaps. The rest of the show doesn't have much of it, and you can be damn sure Nuke doesn't.

• Members

I love your posts. Cause it's SOO freaking true. They've reduced Luke and Noah to this, and now we're stuck with them because of the freakout that would occur if they broke them up or gawd forbid, shipped them off.

Yea, ATWT has their fair amount of WTF stories these days, but it's the Noah and Luke I find insulting.

• Members

Well, ATWT kind of made their bed in that respect, whoring Nuke as a predestined couple before Jake Silbermann even showed up on set.

At least if they're going to pimp them (as they did with Willen for example) you'd think they'd pimp them hard, and at least try and get some of those fans watching the entire show, not youtube.

As a long-time viewer, I hate the way they villianized Damian to further Luke's gayness. And now it looks like we're in for round two of that. UGH.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. It was the hasty publicity that did it, I think. By the time Noah appeared onscreen, no one wanted to wait for the story to slowly develop anymore. I mean, damn....Luke quite literally "fell for" Noah simply because Noah helped him pick up a stack of videotapes! You can think somebody's hot in a moment like that, but most people don't get a crush on someone just because of that!

I just don't get it, which is sad, because as someone who doesn't feel the need to label his sexual orientation, this couple is supposed to be the couple that I love more than anything else. Some of the biggest Nuke fans admit that there have been major flaws in the stories...and it just irritates me that instead of pulling together a huge campaign to get better writing for Nuke, they got together a whole campaign just because they wanted to see Nuke kiss. "No, ATWT, no, you can write shitty stories for Nuke if you want to. As long as we see lots of kissing from them and some after-the-fact sex, we can deal with the crappy, preachy storylines."

P&G has proven time and time again that they're invested in this story for publicity and publicity only. I'm not completely sure they're even getting the ratings bumps that Nuke supposedly gives them. They can trot out their statements about how well-received the story has been, but ugh....sometimes I like to watch the little YouTube videos, especially the ones between Luke and Noah's first meeting and "the kiss." I just don't get it! Luke came out to Noah and Noah's reaction should have been a DEAD GIVEAWAY that he was gay. But nope. Even Will's reaction was less nonchalant.

• Members

A campaign to ask for better stories wouldn't have worked, because most of the stories on ATWT are poorly written. Compared to much of what is on ATWT, Nuke probably have had better writing than some of their other couples of the past few years.

The reason for the protest over kissing was because people were annoyed at a conservative mindset which was preventing ATWT from letting the characters do what any normal couple would do. On most programs, gay men still don't exist as anything beyond villains or idiotic comic relief, or the tragic guest star of the week. The protest was about more than just ATWT, it was about gay couples on daytime, or even on all of TV, since I think letting the ban stand would have just convinced other shows to cave to pressure groups even more than they already do.

As for Damian, supposedly, according to Paolo,

• Members

I know the "official" reason for the campaign. I think thinking it was about "all" gay couples on tv is a bit of an overstatement.

And I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. "According to Paolo" means nothing, when it comes to the story arc. That may be what TIIC told him. It may just be from his perspective. Doesn't mean that's the way it'll play out. I doubt Cady McClain would have come back if they'd pitched her the Paul/Meg/Craig/Ro mess. The story pitched to Paul Leyden for his last return wasn't how it played out.

• Members

You're right, PJ. I was giving my opinion more than a statement from any group. I was more concerned about what a ban would do for the already pathetic representation gay couples have on TV than about Nuke itself, because I have no faith in ATWT to give quality writing now.

There were some other things, like his reintroduction (falsely believed to have hurt Luke and needing to prove himself), that Noah gets along with him, and that he's supposedly staying around for a while and getting a love interest. I guess I'm just grasping at straws, because Damian was one of my favorite characters in the 90s and I'd hoped they might have realized what a big asset he is to the show when he's not simply the evil/deadbeat father.

• Members

I am not going to say that Nuke had been well written, for the most part, but neither has the rest of the show. What I heard was 'ATWT should be ashamed of Nuke.' If we're going to be looking at this from a writing perspective, ATWT should be ashamed of 98% of what they've given us in recent years.

People DO roll their eyes at the crap they are given. The murder mystery storyline? I HATED that crap. But I see real chemistry between them and do like the journey they've taken together. With all the couples on the show, I only really believe that they, and Jack and Carly who aren't even together anymore, are truly in love. Lilden isn't even believable anymore with NuLily. It's sad.

• Members

I hope Damian squashes the Nuke romance. I cant stand Luke's hollier than thou attitude.

Poor Jack..I really felt sorry for him. Carly..Ugh...for the first time I hated her today. Parker must Die!! What an [!@#$%^&*] for a son. Parker is totally ruined for me. NO turning back....the character must die...LOL

Archived