NY Daily News: Bianca/Reese...

• Members

The interesting part first:

Comings and goings: Word has it Thorsten Kaye, who plays the aforementioned Zach, has reached an impasse in his contract talks with "AMC." Elsewhere, "One Life to Live" has let BethAnn Bonner go, so Talia will make a dramatic exit.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t..._by_a_kiss.html

Soap's 1st gay nups unsealed by a kiss

By Carolyn Hinsey

"All My Children's" Bianca and Reese wed this week in daytime's first gay wedding, but the honeymoon is over next week when one of the brides takes a hike.

"It only lasts a day," says Eden Riegel, who plays Bianca. "Reese kissed Bianca's brother-in-law [Zach]. Not only kissed, but made out! It's devastating."

Today, Bianca tells Reese she doesn't love her.

"She says, 'I think I made you up. Everything I assumed to be true about you was a lie.'"

Including the fact that Reese is gay?

"No, Reese knows she's a lesbian," says Riegel. "And Bianca is the love of her life. But people do dumb things when trying to come to terms with who they are. Reese has a lot of growing up to do."

She'll have to do it without Bianca, who takes their daughters and heads back to Paris.

"Kendall wants Bianca and Reese out of her face and away from her husband," says Riegel. "Bianca agrees to her sister's terms because she sees Kendall needs space. But Reese decides to stay in Pine Valley, where everybody hates her - go figure. She thinks, 'If I can get Erica and Kendall to believe that my love for Bianca is real, maybe Bianca will give me another chance.' It doesn't make a lot of sense."

It does when you consider that Riegel had a shorter term contract than Tamara Braun (Reese).

"I am committed to coming back and finishing this story," says Riegel.

Indeed, when Bianca lets Reese say goodbye to Gabrielle (their daughter fathered by Zach), it's clear these women still have strong feelings for each other.

"We bawled our eyes out in those scenes," says Riegel. "Bianca is not certain that leaving is the right thing. It is quite obvious this love story isn't over."

As for criticism that soaps' first gay married couple couldn't last 24 hours, Riegel responds, "Gay couples have problems like everybody else. This is a soap opera. Ultimately, the audience will be rooting for these two to get back together, just like a straight couple."

And if Braun decides to stay and Riegel doesn't?

"Maybe Reese will go for Annie," Riegel says. "Or Kendall!"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmmm --- I could dig an Annie/Reese pairing :P

Ok, well its nice to know Bianca is coming back to finish the story at least. Makes more sense now to keep Reese around...

I agree that gay couples have just as many problems as straight couples, but c'mon, 24 hours is all the groundbreaking marriage lasted? They could have waited a few weeks before the breakup...but whatever, its a soap opera and if this happened to a straight couple we wouldn't be as crazed about it.

Oh and Zach can leave - I'm so over him. I need a break.

• Members

I've watched soaps for about 20 years now, a lot of heterosexual couples. I don't think in all that time I've ever seen a wedding break up because one half of the couple was confused about their sexuality to the point of making out homosexually. Same old story Bianca's always had, except with a farce marriage thrown in.

Sigh, missed opportunities, lol.

• Members

No, sexuality confusion aside, I mean if it were a straight couple getting married...and one of them kissed someone else the night before, or had cheated weeks before the marriage...and then the secret came out right afterwards and then they broke up...it wouldn't be this big "OMG, HOW COULD THEY?" thing (except for that couple's diehard fans, but they would have been outraged at the first sign of cheating anyway).

• Members

I've never seen anything like that with a straight couple either. There's a very obvious double standard with Bianca's stories. They keep giving her sexually confused love interests and throwing men into the picture and act like its so groundbreaking because there are few new elements thrown in.

• Members

meh! I don't really care about any of the main three anymore. Kendall, Ryan, or Zach. If they pair up Rendall than they are just in scenes together. Frees up so much time for the others in PV. I am so sick of AMC lately.

OT:

Thanks. I really miss Kelli. Not only that I am still furious that they didn't even acknowledge that Di & Aidan had a relationship. He just rushed to Greenlee as if Di never existed. They had some hot scenes together.

• Members

I get that Zach is hated by many but I can't believe any rational person would think TK walking would be good for the show, given its precarious state. He is extremely popular and, for better or worse, has basically been at the center of the show for five years. For alot of viewers who have only started watching in the 2000s, it's all they know!

It's the same thing when I see people say that if they took over AMC they would immediately kill off Ryan, or if they were in charge at GH they would get rid of Sonny and Jason. I have to think "then you're no smarter than the current idiots in charge". I despise those characters but there's an entire segment of the audience, possibly the largest segment of the audience (I think, among offliners, those characters are more popular than not because they more passively buy what the writers sell them- e.g. Ryan is Jesus, Jason is a "good" mobster) that would stop watching without them.

Anyways...

I wonder if TK is will head back to OLTL. I believe it was SOD that was reporting a major character from Marty's past would be returning and that everyone on the show had been sworn to secrecy.

• Members

Probably not. I think Zach would have too be killed off if TK leaves. Probably in a way that leaves things open for a return. He has too many ties for him to just leave without looking like a jerk.

I have a feeling they would destroy the character even more if the role were recast. TPTB often use recasts as an excuse to do that.

• Members

Will take with a grain of salt, I find it hard to believe none of the soap mags haven't reported anything about this, heck even Nelson Branco posts stuff about actor contracts

Standard soap contracts are 3 years NOT 2

LMAO and the propping will get even worse, people so better be careful what they wish for, it tends to bite people in the ass

Archived