AMC: What is with all the character deaths?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Want to talk about Pratt killing people look at Megan McTavish.....

Killed...

Dixie

Simone

Michael Cambius

Ethan

Edmund

Greg

Megan is worse then Pratt. With Pratt at least he hasn't killed off anyone with that much history with AMC. (Except Greenlee)

• Members

Here's a partial list of some major core characters Pratt killed during his GH tenure:

Rick Webber

Stefan Cassadine

AJ Quartermaine

Tony Jones

Zander Smith

Courtney Matthews

Granted, he was working with Guza (who has committed far worse sins - Alan and Emily come to mind), but Pratt thinks killing off major characters will grab ratings.

• Members

I know she killed a lot of characters, but wasn't that over a four year period?

I don't mind a soap killing a character off so much as I mind when characters are killed off to get attention, and there's no real point to their deaths. That's what most of the Pratt killings have felt like to me.

• Members

To tell you the honest truth for the last 3 writers that is what it has been all about for them except for "the writer" who I felt with Trevor was just trying to get back at the powers that be for writing a story she never wanted in the first place so why not kill off one of the members of a couple she never wanted.

The others by Pratt, MMT, and B&E have been about attention. How else can you explain the deaths of Dixie, Julia and so many others. They were all ratings stunts and attention getters. They were ridiculous and unnecessary.

I agree that Pratt has had some unnecessary deaths, but to just pin that on him when this started with MMT and has continued. The problem is a lot bigger on AMC than just Pratt.

• Members

I wasn't trying to single Pratt out, I was only trying to say why his method of killing characters bothers me even though I know B&E and McTavish also went heavy on the murder. McTavish started killing people for no good reason. Trevor, Edmund, later Dixie, among many others. Early in her run, I thought she used death more sparingly, like Michael Cambias's murder, which helped push years of story. B&E were horrible writers and extremely lazy, such as making Hannah a psycho to make sure she was no longer in Zach's story, or slaughtering Julia so that Tad could easily claim his daughter.

The recent deaths have been at times completely random, like Di, or not greeted with any real grieving or a service, or more than a few days of reaction, like Josh. Now Greenlee's dead and while I'm sure there will be some angst for Ryan and Kendall, there was such little buildup and these characters have already dealt with so much over the top drama in the past few years, I'm not sure if this will be anything but an anticlimax.

I've seen so much killing on AMC but this is the first time I've felt like death is always the default option. It's just a strange feeling, whoever is responsible, and I see it as cheapening death to the point where viewers may be more likely to react with a yawn than a tear.

Archived