ABC soaps... new homepages

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Spinnelli became popular for one reason and one reason alone. In the world of soap hunks who all seem cut out of the same cloth he was original. And people latched on to that.

It goes back to what I have said happened to the soaps in the 80's. All the soaps except for 1 in the 80's worked to emulate GH. Y&R was the only one that stayed true to itself and original and it rose to the top.

Spinnelli is a throw back to old soaps and old soap writers like Agnes Nixon who took some of the most ordinary looking actors and turned them into fan faves. Her characters were not run of the mill and they were unique often. Same with Days when they created the role of Eugene Bradford who became very popular. They rose to the top back then - even when not all the hunks were cut out of the same cloth.

today all the soap heroes are the same and all played by an actor who looks like he is fresh off the pages of GQ.

I like Spinnelli. What I don't like is that other soaps are trying to create new Spinnelli nerd like characters like Days did with Nick and AMC is with Petey - even going as far now as trying to capture the popularity of Spinnelli & Maxie with a rip off of Petey & Colby. It kind of detroys the uniqueness of it.

• Members

No, I love the IDEA of a character like Spinnelli - one that is not the cookie-cutter hot guy. I guess I should have said the actor who plays him annoys the heck outta me and the writing for him drives me crazy sometimes - granted this was last year, I haven't watched in quite awhile.

I agree about the Petey/Spinnelli comparison. I could tell that from day 1. But to me, Petey is much more likeable and not as annoying as Spinnelli. It's the way you work the non-hunk character.

But even still, I'm surprised a character like Spinnelli is on the banner as one of the main 5 characters for GH. I understand he's popular, but to take off Geary for him? Is he really on the same level as Sonny (who I despise, but he makes sense to be there), Jason (again, same thing...), Geary? Heck, I'm surprised he even beat out Robin (and maybe Patrick) for the spot.

• Members

Robin was on the header before, but they replaced her with that other girl. I don't remember Geary ever being on the header, even before the sites were changed.

I don't watch the show, but I doubt Geary is on enough to be a leading character, unlike Susan Lucci, who's on once a week at least.

• Members

i

I TOTALLY agree with you here, these are my exact same sentiments that I have expressed in other threads. I too love the idea of Spinelli, but I don't know how the actor can stand himself. That oh-so predictable stammer and speech pattern, IMO, everything he says is one long strung together blur. I can't get to the remote fast enough. There's this promo they've been showing the last two weeks or so with this closeup of Spinelli looking all wounded and in love and it just makes me want to puke. It's to the point where he doesn't even have to say anything and his silent head is obnoxious. To me, Spinelli: annoying, Petey: endearing. Petey has had his annoying moments too, but what can I say, minus the frying pan over the head glasses and bow ties, he hasn't been saddled with this totally annoying manner of talking.

• Members

I'm with y'all. The idea of Spinelli is great. A leading man who isn't the status quo, the underdog who comes from left field to center field. But Spinelli himself is annoying. as. hell. Everything about him aggravates me, but nothing aggravates more than the damn nicknames. Maximista, the Jackal, Stone Cold, Valkyrie, blah blah blah UGH IT BUGS. The way he talks, the way he's on almost every single day. It totally bugs. It seems anytime I decide to casually stick around after OLTL to see the teaser of GH, he's always right there.

• Members

I love Spinelli on GH because he isnt a model, he is a geek, he is an outsider. he is pretty much by normal social standards a loser. He smokes pot, he lives on the internet. he loves organe soda and chips. but there is sooooo much more to him that. and pairing him with maxie has showen that. sure hes part of the mob, but he isnt a bad guy. hes just who he is.... and thats rare to see on tv let alone soaps.

petey on amc? hes a cheap spinelli rip off. At least Days made Nick interesting.

• Members

I think you hit it on the head in the Spinelli/Petey comparison when talking about authenticity. When Petey was first announced as coming back, he was described as a "Spinelli-like" character.

The difference? I know kids just like Petey, who grew up on the PA Main Line, who were socially awkward because of their years at Phillip Exeter's Academy, who looks like a J.Crew magazine threw up on them. I saw these kids every day at school, at my preppy University, heck... I feel like I am very much like Petey.

The simplicity of Daniel Kennedy's acting turns Petey from a caricature like Spinelli (larger than life, over the top, cartoon like), to something that soaps today have forgotten about, the boy next door.

Petey has quickly become my favorite character. I only hope he is on contract soon.

Archived