If ABC cancelled All My Children, would CBS acquire it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hell no. CBS would never buy AMC .

First of all, OLTL will be cancelled before AMC. My guess is around 2013- 2015.

The only two soaps left in 2015 will be Y&R and B&B- they do well worldwide.

Maybe soaps will live on in some other format or something...

I look at Days relatively healthy demos - higher than AMC and OLTL, and usually B&B and sometimes GH- and I think- Why was this show's budget not gotten under control sooner??? How can this show not be extremely profitable?? If Days gets cancelled in 1-2 years- AMC and OLTL are next...

I hate even thinking about this. I don't have many positive feelings needless to say.

• Members

2 or three years ago I thought OLTL would definitely be the first cancelled but now with it's budget being about 30% less then AMC's and then being underbudget. OLTL has made ABC money whereas AMC has not. The hard thing is is AMC used not just be the crown jewel of ABC but crown jewel of daytime. It is sad it almost came close to cancellation.

• Members

Do you have a detailed budget report from ABC to compare AMC and OLTL's budget? Where are you getting this 30% less figure from?

The cancellation reports have been unconfirmed rumours thus far, I've found nothing really concrete in any of them. ABC owns the show, if they want to get rid of it, they will.

• Members

Yeah, the only thing we know for certain (from Agnes Nixon's own mouth) is some of the vets had to take considerable paycuts.....AMC actually was one of what two soaps in 2008 to not actually shrink its audience..... so hopefully that means something.

• Members

IA- if they wanted them gone, they would cancel them. And CBS isn't going to pick up anyone's dirty laundry. They would sooner come up with a brand new show.

If cancelled, I wonder if ABC would move all their daytime programming back one hour to close the gap between talk shows and daytime drama?

• Members

I love how the predictions of when there will only be two soaps on the air have just changed from year to year. Five or six years ago, it was 2008 and 2009. And then it was 2009-2010, and then 2011-2012. And it goes on and on. Soaps have been five years away from death for at least ten years.

And as far as one network picking up another network's soaps? No. That's only happened twice before, and those were at times when soaps were still very much alive. Why would they even bother now?

• Members

I agree. Plus, AMC is taped at studios owned by ABC. I doubt that ABC would allow another network to continue to use their studios to produce a soap they cancelled. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see this being one of them.

Archived