Marlena De Lacroix's "Only the Bests" List 2008

• Members

I'm sure Marlena is thrilled that her thread has become all about me. Given all of this it seems appropriate for me to write some kind of statement.

I willingly admit that I don't watch the show. But I did watch for almost 20 years and out of my lingering loyalty to certain actors I have watched clips of certain stories and scenes. I think it's been clear in my commentary when I have watched a particular scene. BTW, I still tape AMC but I don't watch that every day either. And sometime I don't watch the show all the way through. I'm not sure when and how I'm supposed to clear my viewership habits but there they are for evaluation.

Now, I need to issue some apologies. First for my allowing myself to be baited into a fight and taking this thread in a direction it never should have gone. Secondly, I will take credit/blame for coining the term "Disciples of Ron", "Church of Ron", "Holy Tabernacle of Carlvati". I will refrain from using it again. Thirdly, my apologies to those of you who are now taking abuse for defending me. That is unfair.

But here's what I'm not sorry for. I'm not sorry for expressing my opinion that Ron just isn't that good. My chief complaint has been and still is that he's fixated on the past. Did I need to watch everyday of Natalie in the secret room in order to think it was derivative? That's up to each of you to decide.

I can handle being called out for my opinion. I've gotten into spirited debates with most of the people in this thread about one thing or another be it OLTL, AMC, ratings, the state of the genre, etc... But let me point something out, I didn't comment on Ron for the first few pages of this thread. Nelson Branco, yes but not Ron. I don't post in the daily/weekly discussion. I didn't post in the "Thoughts on RC" thread. Only when I saw people feeling that they needed to "defend" Jess did I really get in this.(And boy did I get in it!) One of the reasons I've liked this board is because its a good place to talk about the genre as a whole. Am I supposed to watch all of the soaps in order to do that?

I don't know how we got here. But it's been a long, strange trip.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have the right to be offended if someone is attacking your show and they don't watch it. It's like when people who didnt know President Elect Obama were spreading rumors about him, or rumors about anyone in general. If you arent down with it currently, you dont know all the strings to be able to talk about it presently. I feel you Range. :)

• Members

Just think of me as a FOR...a Friend of Ron, but I'm a friend who recognizes that he's not God, and he a little stuck on the past. He wants to re-write stories that he saw with a 2008 spin. I know that for a fact. ;)

It doesnt take someone who watches the show every day to know that Ron is a little past struck. All you have to do is look at a promo, or read some spoilers. Marceline, we can't take that away from you.

I'm glad we are here. It's been good.

• Members

Now, I need to issue some apologies. First for my allowing myself to be baited into a fight and taking this thread in a direction it never should have gone. Secondly, I will take credit/blame for coining the term "Disciples of Ron", "Church of Ron", "Holy Tabernacle of Carlvati". I will refrain from using it again. Thirdly, my apologies to those of you who are now taking abuse for defending me. That is unfair.

++I have no issues with you Marceline, I had no idea from your posts that you didn't watch OLTL. I always find them pretty intelligent and fair, I have noticed the Disciples of Ron comments but they never bothered me because I never found you to have some sh-t stirring agenda++

But here's what I'm not sorry for. I'm not sorry for expressing my opinion that Ron just isn't that good. My chief complaint has been and still is that he's fixated on the past. Did I need to watch everyday of Natalie in the secret room in order to think it was derivative? That's up to each of you to decide.

++HE DOES fixate on the past too much, no arguments here. But I hate Melissa Archer so anything involving Natalie I hate LOLLLLL++++ But I think Ron is a great writer +++ To each his/her own.

I don't know how we got here. But it's been a long, strange trip.

++Its kinda fun! Its better than kissing Y&R's ass post after post after post LOLLLLLLLL :)

• Members

I KNOW IT! I was gonna PM you! lolllll

We obviously understand Ron's weaknesses, and he has many.

But to me, OLTL could not be any luckier to have him. HE LOVES THE SHOW and you can see it everyday. And I have gonme on record saying that he could use a good co head writer, a female one.

OLTL is not flawless like Y&R (gags) but it has a kind of TURBULENT BRILLIANCE to it (to quote Shirley McCaine about Debra Winger in her Oscar speech)

I just wish the haters who talk with us here, still watched the show.. Its like talking to a blind man about how blue the sky is today.

• Members

NO, it goes alittle something like this:

Channeling Chris Crocker- "Leave Ronnie alone!!!(cries uncontrollably) How can anyone make fun of Ron after all he's been through!!!AHH!! He's given us Go Red Balls, he survived the writer's strike, he's written a rapemance; and all you people care about is ratings, and viewers, and controversy. AHHH!!"

:P

• Members

Ha ha. Honestly, and someone might want to take my head off after I say this, but Ron would be very lucky to have Shelley Altman as his Co- Head Writer. Shelley is Ron's closest confidant on the OLTL team. They wrote breakdowns together for years. I say they give her the promotion. She is a storyteller.

• Members

Oh Marceline, your not getting your butt kicked. Only Vee wants your blood. Nelson HATED OLTL for the last 2-3 months. His latest pet is Y&R- like everyone else's. He would actually agree with alot of your views on it. I even agree with alot of your views.

(I do trash Y&R too much lately- I really do LOVE the show but find it seriously overrated- Its good, solid, SAFE soap opera and beautiful to look at- Its like comparing "Australia" with "Apocalypse Now" as far as OLTL and Y&R are concerned

lol. A few of us have decided to move to Guyana and start the Temple of Carlivati.

Archived