Marlena De Lacroix's "Only the Bests" List 2008

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gosh. Malone and Griffith. WHAT HAPPENED? That was so sad to me.

I remember their first week back. The change in the show was immediate. Wasn't it some big snow storm or something? I personally like it when you can tell the change in writers... I was so excited to have them back.

Joey was a priest (granted the actor gave off a HUGE gay vibe to me so I was so excited that Joey was going to be gay- I was wrong loll)

And within 4 weeks or so it was obvious that it was an unmitigated disaster.

That was a weird time.

• Members

I'll admit to being the biggest Evangeline fan- not fanatic , but she bored me to tears on many occassions. There are some scenes I couldn't help but roll my eyes, or worse, woke up hours later with nothing done. As for John McBain...we won't go there. IN the last 5 years I was barely hanging onto anything- not the stories, the characters, not the couplings....Malone was....rusty.

But DH made me feel desperate. A level of masochism I only enjoy when watching Passions. Ron helped me turn the tv off and play with my kids- j/k..I don't have kids. Which is why I don't lay too much blame at his alter, the show just was not well maintained. His beginning tenure was very disturbing because I kept wondering- "why don't I enjoy this show like everyone else?" Which is why I welcome articulate heretics of any kind who can express two sides of a coin. I spent much of this year trying to give the show a chance to dazzle me

Y&R was getting there, but thankfully I didn't have to sit through LML for long.

• Members

Now you're just toying with me. Or trying to make it look like you CAN shift your opinion. I'm not falling for it. ;)

I think maybe you fell into the trap that a lot of viewers did. Seems you formed your opinion of Evangeline about the same time you lost your affection for Natalie. Common denominator there is Jawn. Hmmmm!

• Members

Do you know something, Jawn certainly did not help?

No really, I DID like Natalie, but that was 2001 or something. I have not thought about Gary Tomlin's era in awhile.

Does anybody have Youtube of Archer from then? SHE WAS A GREAT BITCH. For real.

You asked me to actually think. So I thought back to Natalie's beginning... And I honestly liked her then. I had totally forgotten.

Evangeline- Oh man. Every Emmy nomination I was like- YOU HAVE GOTO TO BE KIDDING ME.

But again, I only saw her occasionally on Youtube after I stopped watching.. I just remember OLTL being so bland. No identity at all.

• Members

My thirst for blood is sated. I appreciate the apology. I stand by my opinion that it's futile to debate the show (or any) with someone who hasn't really cared to give it the time of day, save to load up on ammunition - and that isn't just any one poster, actually, but any number of people. As for RC being "lost in the past," yes, it's clear he loves OLTL's past, and yes he does take it too far sometimes - the Lee/Janet connection,

was a random add-on that did not serve a purpose during a dismal story. But rarely do I think a story has suffered because of the linkage to the past; when a story is lacking, it's generally because its own current structure (Tarty, etc) is already flawed. And I submit that I find longing for the halcyon days of almost two years ago, under the hellish regime of Dena Higley, to be far more "stuck in the past." Today we have several genuinely popular new couples and storylines, and none of them predate 2007. That's the future. There is no future in an American soap that jettisons its past, its core families and its veteran leads in a quixotic quest for "the New," instead of integrating new people properly. Ellen Wheeler's Guiding Light proves that, that's why it's dying of exposure in Peapack, New Jersey.

• Members

Evangeline was like my worst ironic nightmare: OLTL finally had a black leading lady like I'd always longed for, but she was absolutely fuckin' insufferable and not that good an actress. It was like the end of a Twilight Zone episode for me - "Oh no! Time enough at last to read, but my glasses are broken! Oh no! The aliens are here "to serve man, " but it's a cookbook!"

Archived