The Politics Thread

• Members

Everyone who's ever seen Munich (or looked up the Eichmann trials) knows how Israeli intelligence rolls. There is no endgame for this which doesn't end in key principals dead, Mossad won't rest. The horror is what the much larger-scale military assault will do to innocent Palestinian civilians.

On a lighter note:

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^ Oh yeah. The leaders are billionaires sitting in safety and luxury. Most of it stolen aid money, it's disgusting. I saw Khaled Mashel on Arabic TV and it was just chilling. He was talking about other countries that lost millions of people to get there land back. They don't care how many Palestinians die. The Israelis have vowed to hunt them down one by one like Black September no matter how long it takes. I hope it happens because the leaders are the ones that deserve to die. I actually have some sympathy for some of these boys who have been brainwashed since childhood, but its way too late for the ones that are already terrorists.

Why have two million people been left to rot and radicalize in Gaza for decades? Does anyone really believe Israel will ever give that land up? It will never happen, but you have these groups in the west acting like "decolonization" 

Please register in order to view this content

is possible. Do they even know that nearly 25% of the population of Israel is Arabic (of various religions, including Judiasim)? They have their own agendas and I don't believe they care about the lives actual Palestinians have to live.

I don't see a lot of hope in this situation either. Radical Islam (Iran) will not allow a peace process. I'd say Iran has probably succeeded in radicalizing a good portion of Israeli society after these brutal murders, mass rapes and kidnappings. I don't agree that BiBi (he is awful and a criminal though) is a warmonger.  He's been trying to avoid a ground war forever. We'll see if he has what it takes to finish it this time. By which I mean make a real dent in Hamas by going in there and rooting them out of their tunnels (while avoiding as many civilian casualties as possible). I won't be that surprised if he buckles.

• Members

Someone will need to talk Hezbollah down, so this war between Israelis and Hamas doesn’t escalate to a regional war.

Normally, I take what the NYT writes with a grain of salt, particularly as it concerns the Caribbean and Latin America (and Africa as well) but I think it’s funny in this particular case because it was so predictable that they’d get it wrong. 

https://archive.ph/eeoNs

Just last week, the New York Times made the prediction that Milei would either win the election outright or, he would lead by a healthy margin even if the election went to a runoff. And now? A runoff, except he’s not the candidate in the lead. 

• Members

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/politics/mike-johnson-gay-sex-criminalization-kfile/index.html

Election denier, climate skeptic, anti-abortion: seven beliefs of new US House speaker Mike Johnson | Mike Johnson | The Guardian

https://newrepublic.com/post/176437/new-house-speaker-johnson-blamed-abortions-social-security-medicare-cuts

The new House Speaker. When the press tells you what a consensus builder he is because "moderate" and "sensible" Republicans supported him, and when they chastise you for daring to be upset, this is the man they adore.

• Members

Unfortunately you're not alone. You might be further along down that slippery slope, but we're heading in the same direction. Our current government is dependent on support from the right-wing Sweden Democrat party, which has its roots in neo-nazism. And they're using their influence to move the political discourse inch by inch in their preferred direction. They've been rather subtle about it before, but with their new position of power they're becoming increasingly more bold. 

• Members

What happened to this “adopted” son was the first question that I had. I find the entire situation highly disturbing, almost as disturbing is the lack of probing into this.  Hopefully there is some type of deep investigating reportage going on that we’re currently not privy to.

• Members

Report from Ohio.

I voted this morning and I can't remember the last time I felt this hopeful about an election. Doors opened at 8 and I got there around 8:30. Between the people showing up to vote in person and the ones dropping off mail ballots, it looked like Cavs traffic. The energy inside was off the charts and it was 70-80 percent women. I saw mothers there with their daughters. I saw friends showing up to vote together.

It was the absolute opposite of the narrative we're seeing on social media and cable news. 

• Members

Thank God. The lunatics on the right just keep going farther into Christofacisim in an effort to out crazy each other, while the Susan Sarandon's of this world keep vowing not to vote for Biden. The Squad and their ilk have no sense of proportion when it comes to the level of pain someone like Trump or even Nikki Haley can bring to the US and a good chunk of the world. We need people to come out and stop this madness.

I did read that Mike Jordan's "son" wants nothing to do with him, but I would love to see an interview as well.