Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/chuck-cooper-solicitor-general-withdraws-consideration-234869

Really? Why???

Chuck Cooper, the conservative Supreme Court litigator, is withdrawing his name from consideration to be the next solicitor general, opening the door for the husband of Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway to be appointed to the role.

• Members

Agree.

I watched the "American Experience" documentary on the OKC bombing and it was...scary.  The far-right, extremist, white nationalist militia movement that sprang from Ruby Ridge and Waco -- made up of people who are essentially anti-government and pro-guns and who believe body counts are the only way to get people's attention -- is essentially Trump Nation today.  

Agree.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've had it up to HERE with "change."  From ALL sides.  If what we're living through now is the result of people (allegedly) wanting "change," then I want a candidate who promises normalcy and "politics as usual."  

Bill Clinton (at least, I think it was Bill Clinton) said it best: "It's the economy, stupid!".  Whoever runs in 2020 needs to remember that.

• Members

the identity politics didn't work this time around. the economy is what voters really want details about. they feel they everything comes from that. we'll see....but I am no longer holding my breath at what the Democrats do. right now, I honestly don't think they're listening...and some still think that all they have to do is give the people someone to vote against instead of giving us someone to vote FOR. Obama understood this...which is why he had two terms. NOW....he sure didn't always do his best, and had some nice F ups there (like any POTUS has over 8 years), but he understood bottom line politics. Dems didn't even want him campaigning for them....and they lost the House 4 years ago. and because of Wasserman Schultz, Brazille and many others feeling as though the Democratic elite stool the nom. from BS (which, even though I do dig him, had nothing concrete to grasp onto IMPO) and took it out on the party. We'll see what they'll do here coming up. 

• Members

I disagree. Identity politics is why the GOP won. I agree that the Dems screwed up royally during the midterms. I was so furious by the timidity that I stopped donating but let's not pretend that Trump's win wasn't about identity politics. It just that the identity of his voters is considerd the default in America.

Hillary got 3 million more votes so clearly something about the message resonated. This wasn't a close election like Bush v. Gore. Trump lost the popular vote decisively even with help from the Russians and Comey and only the EC saved him. He won by 70,000 votes in the right states. Think about that. Trump's margin of win wouldn't even fill the Rose Bowl.

There's a saying that "the left falls in love while the right falls in line." One big problem on the left is that our voters need to be inspired to vote instead of realizing that voting is the maintenance we perform on a democracy. Where we're at now is basically the result of people who didn't bother to change the batteries in the smoke alarm and now they're sitting here watching the house burn down and screaming at the rest of us to put the flames out with a garden hose. 

Edited by marceline