Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wasn't suggesting that McGovern or Dole were perceived as likeable (instead, I was suggesting that the perceptions of them being unlikeable are incorrect). Because many thought he was way too far to the left, McGovern was about the only politician viewed as even more unlikeable than Nixon, which is a huge reason why he lost 49 states. As a person, McGovern had likeable qualities, though the general public was way too scared of him to take notice.

Bob Dole was also viewed in a highly unfavorable manner, but not because of any Nixon association (at least in recent times). (With all due respect, I am mystified why you would think that Dole and Nixon come from the same flock; while there political views may be similar, Dole has never been accused of criminal activity.) In 1996, Dole's albatross was that Democrats were always tying him at the hip with Gingrich. (Nixon had long ceased to be relevant to swing voters.) They basically accused him of being a Newt's twin brother (which wasn't hard to do, because they were the two leaders of Congress), though in reality the two were never close (and also Gingrich is way more conservative than Dole).

Dole can be extremely funny and self-depreciating, but these likeable characteristics were seldom on display on the campaign trail. Even if Bob never gave "boring" speeches and Newt never existed, the GOP would still have lost in 1996 because of the booming economy.

Edited by Max

• Members

I hadn't noticed a resemblance to Anthony Herrera but I will look again.

Max, I agree with you that Ryan was probably Romney's best bet at this point - the talk I've heard at sites like TNR is that he probably would have chosen a "safe" VP if he was doing better in the polls.

I loathe Tim Pawlenty and have for almost a decade so I'm thrilled he's not going to be VP, especially since he has been Romney's lackey for most of the campaign. Ha ha.

What do you think of Romney basically disavowing Ryan's entire plan? It kind of makes picking him less important.

• Members

I don't recall Dole ever being perceived as the meanest man in DC (but I'll take your word for it), but I am well aware of the "hatchet man" moniker he got after the nastiness he displayed in the 1976 VP debate. Certainly, the man wasn't perfect, but he is far less partisan compared to today's standards. The consequent damage done to his reputation was repaired, as Dole became skilled at making friends across the aisle following the 1976 campaign. When he left the Senate in 1996, his colleagues on both sides of the aisle had huge praise for him as a human being (regardless of how they felt about his politics).

Carl, I don't think that Romney disavowed Ryan's entire plan; it's just that he is putting forth his own plan, which happens to have many similarities to Ryan's plan. From what I have read, the biggest difference between the two budgets is that Ryan's lowers individual income tax rates more than Romney's does. Some may feel this isn't the smartest political move on Romney's part to make such a statement, but then again he is at the top of the ticket and (I feel) needs to have his own plan (as opposed to completely adopting someone else's).

While I respect and understand the criticism that Romney is getting for somewhat distancing himself from Ryan's budget, I do feel that there is a blatant double standard that exists (because of the perception of Romney being much too wishy washy). For instance, I fail to recall anyone criticizing Obama for not sharing Biden's view on Iraq (after choosing him). (Biden originally supported that war, and a big reason why Obama defeated Hillary was because she voted for that war as well.) Likewise, Reagan never adopted the economic philosophy of GHWB after selecting him, despite the fact that the elder Bush trashed supply-side economics as "voodoo economics."

Edited by Max

• Members

I'm astounded by the attempts at voter suppression. Is there anything less American than trying to keep people from the polls? I'm just waiting for the court to set the dates for the arguments in OFA v. Husted (the case where "Obama is trying to suppress the military vote!!1!1" rolleyes.gif ) I'm planning on going to the hearing and I won't be alone.

No matter what I suspect that election day in Ohio is going to make the 2004 voting circus look like an episode of The Martha Stewart Show.

• Members

Interesting election result, although you won't hear about it, since Joe Biden speaking the truth is much more shocking and heinous.

Cliff Stearns, who has spent the last few years trying to make himself a big hero for his investigations against the Obama administration, was defeated in his primary, in a huge upset. Guess how much he had sitting in his campaign account? $2 million.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/article1246033.ece

• Members

Dr. Beth Stevenson, an obstetrician-gynecologist, told CBS News, "We are going under the assumption that this isn't going to be harmful for mother or unborn child."

Oof. Don't like the sound of that at all.

But this seems to be getting serious, so I don't know that I can disagree.

Tells you a lot about how shallow our media is that the damn page is plastered with "news" on a man who died 35 years ago.