Y&R: Role recast

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, yeah... back on topic...

I actually really like the actress playing NuEden. She was a little grating on the Gilmore Girls, but now that I get what they're going for the character, it makes more sense. I wondered when Hogan was going to come up with his "geek love" story (Adam/Abi on ATWT, Nick/Chelsea on DOOL), and here it is. She's not Alex Chando - she's MUCH quirkier and dorky (in a cute way).

It's definitely going to be a different kind of soap teen love story, for better or worse, with this actress.

ETA: Sorry, Faulkner - I read your post too fast and thought you meant Chando as Eden. I just realized you wrote "Colleen", and TOTALLY - I couldn't agree more.

• Members

Vanessa is actually a brilliant recast. She played Lisa Kudrow's stepdaughter onthe awesome "The Comeback" on HBO about 3 years ago. She was a fantastic comic actress. And I was one of the few people who liked her on Gilmore Girls She also guest starred on the Sarah Silverman show. I wonder if they are going to give this new Eden a comic edge... Nice work Y&R.

• Members

I was not a fan of Eden from day one but as someone who lives in this really crazy h-wood town, you guys should know that actors DO really read alot about theirselves online. ESPECIALLY daytime actors. I just think getting fired is so hard and to see people gloating and laughing about one losing their job just rubs me the wrong way - esp in this exconomy (doesn't every sentence end in that phrase now?). It's america and we can say what we want to but it changed my mind when I was talking to an agent friend of mine who said that actors litterlly cry their eyes out when they read stuff like this. Not sayin not to discuss it - but the glee? The squeals (yes SQUEALS) of delight? Erin - girl, i pray you didn't read this thread, or that you have an ashram you can go pray at and find some peace.

A lot of actors who were on soaps were hated on and then went on to find big success. Laura Bell Bundy comes to mind. So if u are reading this - chin up girl!

• Members

I think that the first thing a manager should tell any "actor" they work with is not to read about themselves on the Internet. Hearing that someone had their feelings hurt does not garner much sympathy from me. Maybe if they read about themselves, and it is mostly negative, they should get a clue and find a career they are more talented at.

Another example of someone who was hated but has gone on to great success is Eva Longoria. The best thing that ever happened to her was being let go from Y&R.

• Members

I don't get all of the fighting over a certain chick. SHE IS NEVER ON!

I am surprised they recast Erin's role at all.

I guess this confirms the show's committment to the Fishers.

ughhhhhhhhhh.

Has there ever been a more unappealing or downright creepy family on daytime?

I do kinda like the Kevin angle right now surprisingly.

• Members

I like the Baldwin clan and especially since they have developed more of the back story of the abuse that lead to Kevin and Michael being the way they were when they first showed up. I also like that both have become better people through the friendships and relationships they've developed. Soaps are boring when everyone is sweetness and light.

• Members

Baldwins = Addams Family of daytime (which is not a bad thing)

Or maybe, to better reflect the kind of complexity, it is like the Capwells of SB, or the Quartermaines of GH, or the Chandlers of AMC. EXCEPT...a big contrast from these families...is that the Baldwins come from humble (tortured, abused) roots. That makes them somewhat more interesting (to me) because (unlike the aforementioned families) their dysfunction MAKES SENSE. They're not just spoiled people, but "survivors" who have become warped by their bad starts.

Now, with the ROOT of their dysfunction being addressed (River's abandonment, and Gloria's turn to the dark side in the service of survival), it becomes interesting to see where they go from here. It could be healing...especially for Gloria.

• Members

No, that IS a bad thing...

No, that would be The Abbotts, maybe evn The Newmans. NOT the Baldwin/Fishers

Intersting? More like a huge borew. Thios family had ate his show alive and is one of the biggest issues that NEEDS to be adressed. GLoria sucks, Kevin is a bore, Michael lost everything that once made himg reat. Eden is.. ugh. River needs to go, Jeffrey needs to go. Tomw as awful. No good has come from this family and they need to GO!

• Members

OMG, I'm so pissed I missed the rant on the certain rotting, smelly lesions who should've been fired a hell of a lot faster than this actress. Oh well. It's time to move on, I guess. It's just a shame that Y&R is doing so well in all other circumstances.

IA with what everyone said about liking Eden only when she was with Noah. Totally.

And that Kevin has fit into Noah's role so perfectly. I really like how realistic the writers have made him. So much more realistic than they wrote the teens over the last few years. I haven't seen teens this real on Y&R since Cassie died.

Everyone grew up real quickly. It's a real shame. Half are basically college-aged but acting like they're in their late twenties already. The writers should play up their struggles with adulthood more or make them more ambitious. All the rich kids are so damn lazy with absolutely nothing to prove. And it's sad because Victoria and Nick were just as young and rich and spoiled but worked so hard to prove they were capable of running Newman. These twenty-somethings have absolutely no direction. NO AMBITION. Lily's not gonna model. No idea what the heck Colleen's gonna do. Will Chloe run a magazine? I don't think so! Is Amber gonna start her own line? I don't think so! Only Daniel might end up somewhere with his art. And Devon is so dull that it doesn't matter what he does. Is he gonna be the next Neil? Jesus. Kevin's a fully-realized miscreant in the making. Everyone is so aimless. I even forgot about Jana because she's never even declared any goals for herself other than killing Kevin and Colleen and looked how well that worked out for her.

These writers better think of some long-term goals for these folks or else we'll be stuck with triangles and baby-mama drama for twenty years. ICK!

Anyway, I'm glad the producers are being more ergonomic now with their cast. Thus far, they've handled poor casting choices like illegitimate children they've recently found and are now overcompensating for abandoning them in the past.

• Members

IA that Kevin Schmidt has won over the fans with his acting. He has actually made me forget all about Hunter Allan. I really didn't care for Erin Sanders when she first came onto the scene especially with CLB. Was she trying to be just as theatrical as he is? If so, it sure the hell backfired on her. I thought she was decent in her scenes with TB. Oh well, she wasn't on long enough for me to get attached to her. Wish her well though.

Archived