CBS Brings Diversity to Daytime TV

• Members

Initiative to make roles more accessible to young actors of color

By Mariel Bird -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/6/2008 5:35:00 PM

CBS Diversity Institute and Casting has announced an initiative that will enhance the opportunities for actors of color in the hopes of creating a more accessible talent pool to daytime TV shows including The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

“Diversity requires action and we see this as a very intentional way of bringing attention to actors of color and continuing to open doors to the most successful daytime franchises in history with this new and additional avenue of access,” Josie Thomas, CBS Senior VP, Diversity said in a statement.

CBS' past showcases for a variety of different programs had resulted in 200 roles by the end of 2007, according to CBS' most recent social responsibility annual report. Those have inluded showcases for Native American actors, Asian Pacific Americans, and African Americans.

An extension of CBS Diversity’s ongoing talent showcase initiative, actors will be pre-screened by network casting directors in December and auditioned once again for specific programs starting in January.

“With our daytime dramas on the air year-round, this is a remarkable opportunity for new talent to be seen by the highest number of people possible in this medium,” said Barbara Bloom, Senior Vice President, Daytime Programs, CBS.

Actors of color wishing to participate in the program can submit resumes and photos electronically by logging onto www.breakdownexpress.com by the Nov. 28, 2008 deadline.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...ndustryid=47168

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Their heart is in the right place, but I don't really understand - wouldn't it make more sense for the HW/EP's to CREATE characters of color first with story potential? It's not like casting directors don't already have stacks of headshots of minority actors to choose from. Seems like this is backwards.

• Members

Yeah, but isn't this the method that has failed forever? Characters of color have NOT been created.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. This will just be more network and corporate interference ("create a story for this newbie"). Since these are all persons of color, for the most part they cannot be easily woven into history. (Although, much as I hate B&B these days, kudos to them for seamlessly weaving Texas Battle into the action).

The REAL solution, of course, is to get diversity at EVERY level...including behind the scenes. Here's hoping....

• Members

ABC used to do this in the 80's. I think it was called a talent development program. That's where Emma Samms and Arsenio Hall came from. They found the talent first and then placed them around as the various projects came up. I think that all CBS will be doing is getting the screen testing and pre-interviewing/screening out of the way, decide on who they want and then when roles come up, they call those people first. Maybe parts are being written as we speak for characters to be on those shows 6 to 9 months from now.

• Members

ABC still does this, I can think of about seven people I know who've done the showcase over the past few years. They've all had varying degrees of success, but I've never seen any of them on an ABC show. Other industry reps must be in attendance. I still think it's a great thing that they do, something is better than nothing and "you never know." But yes, the proof is in the pudding. And I agree with the earlier poster, daytime needs more color behind the camera. That's the only way the flavor of our country will truly be represented onscreen. You can't just throw people of color on these shows with no point of view, being a Persian in Beverly Hills is not the same as being a WASPy blonde in Brentwood.

• Members

What do they want, a medal? :lol: You know some bright spark over at Television City sent some memo around saying "You guys. Obama might actually win. Do you think there is some kind of demo we should be appealing to?"

Daytime. 20 years behind Primetime -- which, in turn, is 20 years behind where America actually is in terms of racial representation.

• Members

I always think it is ironic that in this land of faux-doctors, there have been very asian characters where in real life many people in the medical field are asian. If we are talking about an under-represented group not only in daytime, but tv in general, it has to be the asian minority.

• Members

I think this letter is more intent on addressing the questions many have been asking in the past few years. I didn't see this as an announcement that belongs in the Coming and Going section. AT least they're addressing the audience, unlike many other networks that pretend nothing is wrong.....

AS much as would like to think this is HW situation, it doesn't matter if none of these characters are kept long enough for people to invest in them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think this might be a partial response to the shot Victoria Rowell sent over the bough of Barbara Bloom's private yacht a few months ago. That interview caused QUITE the stir in the black community, although it was patently false on many fronts. I was stunned to hear her carping about how Y&R was more comfortable casting mixed race actors, rather than black actors.... when BEFORE she came on the show, Y&R had no less than 7 black actors in the cast, and not ONE of them were of mixed race.... Stephanie Williams, Brock Peters, John St. Elwood, Fay Hauser, Phil Morris, Nathan Purdee, and Marguerite Ray

• Members

Surely with him being Donna's son, and a non Forrester (i.e. no incestuous possiblities except from Brooke and Katie...and Bridget) he'll be able to stick around. Marcus and Steffy were being touted as the next young couple a while back, although I get that B&B plows through romantic pairings faster than ATWT plows through storylines. Still, it would be nice for B&B to have a new Sally Spectra type character, an African American woman, maybe a single mother, who has a daughter who could be a love interest for Thomas or something.

Archived