CBS vs ABC Daytime

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would agree with that. Just think of B&B and DAYS' top stars that aren't that good. For B&B, it's Ronn Moss, Katherine Kelly Lang, Hunter Tylo and Jeninfer Garies. For DAYS, it would be Alison Sweeney, Bryan Dattilo and Drake Hogestyn. They're all hugely popular, but not they're really not that great actors.

• Members

B&B was once one of the tightest shows on daytime (in terms of focus) It knew what it was and it did it very, very well.

People keep saying OLTL is like Passions. HAVE YOU PEOPLE WATCHED B&B??? HONEY COVERED PEOPLE BEING FED TO BEARS. THE WONDER YEARS MOTHER LETTING SNAKES LOOSE?

I cannot believe that Patrick Mulcahey slums it on that show and that the once fantastic whatshername (from Y&R, Bill's coheadwriter) oh yes- Kay Alden- is writing this garbage. B&B's cast is weak enough, they need some new storylines. The entire show needs to be overhauled. I came this close to saying something on the B&B discussion thread but I was afraid I would be tarred and feathered. You see comments like "The show is really improving"...

Are these people watching the same show I am??? Did anyone watch B&B in the mid nineties? It was a great, entertaining, campy- to a point- but in a good way.

I think B&B is the worst show on daytime by a mile right now, Ahead of GL even.

I only watched DOOL during the Kristen/Mary Moira/et al storyline so I cannot judge.

Sorry- I went off track.

Now- It is a joke.

• Members

Wasn't trying to be rude- it's just when you say "reads her lines" I think you mean "not acting." I wasn't sure if you were really implying that she can't act.

B&B is always been that telenovela for the Americans- but it's only 30 minutes.....OLTL used to be much smarter than Passions even in its campy days.

• Members

I think B&B is the new Passions, not OLTL (despite its complete hit or miss storylines and campiness since the summer- Mendorra, little David Vickers, ect)..

I think B&B is horrible from 60% of the cast to the the completely terrible writing and storylines. I am VERY surprised that it has not been taken to task yet here or by critics. "Oh its really improving". OH NO its NOT. And the Wonder Years mom should be ashamed. She is HORRIBLE. Truly horrible. I watch it with my mouth agape.

• Members

Dead serious. People in the B&B thread were like

"Oh my god the show is SO GOOD"..... "B&B hasn't been THIS GOOD in along time".. I could not believe it.

Wonder Years Mom wiped honey all over Grace Turner from Y&R and tried to feed her to a bear. It was neither suspenseful or funny. It was DUMB.

They also dress Wonder Years Mom in Army fatigues and binoculars- She looks like a cross between Yogi Bear and a man.

You have Taylor sexing up her former stepson...

You have the endless Ridge/Taylor/Brooke triangle which is really just comedy now. Its so ridiculous.

For real, I was once a big B&B fan- The show sickens me as far as what it has become.

An iffy cast cannot overcome terrible storytelling. The show, and Bill Bell- deserve better.

• Members

Three things:

1-I do think B&B is tolerable because I find it entertaining. Not moving, not powerful, not deep, but entertaining.

2-Kay Alden ain't in the driver's seat. If you believe she is then you must also believe that Brad Bell wasn't the HW during the strike, which of course he was and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, he did what he had to do for his show.

3-B&B has always been the campiest, OTT soap on the air. The difference is that it used to be fashion focused and now it isn't focused at all. It needs to get back to fashion and I'm hearing that it is.

• Members

The thing with the CBS shows with me is that even when they're telling horrible stories and are dreadfully boring on most days, there are still days where they can pop out a really awesome episode, where everything seems to click. Specifically, I'm talking about ATWT. I stopped watching regularly over a year ago, but even over the last year, there have been a good bit of episodes that I've seen that I really, really enjoyed. B&B is very much the same way, and even GL is at times. Y&R, on the other hand.......not so much.

When I dropped AMC from my regular viewing in mid 2006, I probably went maybe five or six months before watching a whole episode again. When that show is bad, it is bad. I can never sit through any episodes, and it's the same with OLTL.

DAYS? lmao. It's been at least three years since I've seen an entire episode. Not missing it. At all.

• Members

I have gone SO OFF TOPIC, but again- I truly believe the CBS vs. ABC casting competition started with Roger Howarth's leaving OLTL for ATWT.

If I remember correctly, the network was shocked. And then he goes to a direct timeslot competitor...

It was a big deal at the time.

When was it, 2002-2003?

• Members

It was campy. But it was GOOD. And god it was never deep. lollll

The show completely needs to go back to the fashion element that made it work so well.

Really, the show to me now is a bad comedy. It is no longer campy. It is simply bad.

Who is writing the show? Is Brad still writing it?

I have no idea how a brilliant scriptwriter like Patrick Mulcahey can work on this show. I really do not. Why OLTL or ATWT has not tried to snatch him up is beyond me..

• Members

I remember that- but I bet PG&E are regretting that now that they're stuck with Paul and Meg...

Truth be told- I don't know why the networks haven't been more competitive in the past...Especially if you're competing for the same time slot....If I were ATWT I would want to pick up anything popular OLTL dumped out....OLTL has always let the good one's go- why not profit off their bad decisions. Same for AMC and B&B- if B&B isn't hitting it, then show 'em how it's done. It's business.

Archived