CBS vs ABC Daytime

• Members

just wondering where did this animosity come from when it come's to the on going rivalry between CBS and ABC? is it more between Brian Fronz (ABC) and Barbra Bloom (CBS) or is it just pure competition. I don't think their is any animosity with NBC. maybe Toups could help

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a big difference in the way both channels do and handle their soaps.

ABC: Too stylized, too shock-oriented, too youth-oriented, too fast paced, too many "supercouples"

CBS: Too conservative, too character-driven, too old-centered, too slow-paced, too serious.

Of course, CBS is trying to copy the style of the ABC soaps--because those are doing so well.

• Members

GH has the best overall cast in daytime, IMO. However they just don't use their cast effectively. Yes they have a few over the top scenery chewers like Laura Wright and Brandon Barash, but other than that, Mark Teschner is the be all and end all of soap opera casting. The other two ABC soaps are either piss-poor or all over the place when it comes to casting.

CBS soaps are generally all over the place in terms of casting. Though, up until Latham, Y&R was very solid in terms of casting, and GL was very good as well up until a few years ago. B&B and ATWT's casting have always been deeply polarizing to me.

In terms of overrated fanbases, the ABC actors win hands down. CBS has some fanbases, but it's not on the scale as the ABC soaps and especially DAYS. There's the saying that ABC soaps have rabid fans, DAYS has even more rabid fans, and CBS soaps have viewers, and I think that generally holds true.

• Members

Y&R's longtime domination in the male demos has always interested me, and I know not all of those men watching are gay. I mean, the ABC soaps try so hard with their stunts and violence (well, GH at least) to get that male demographic, and they never do. Y&R's always been strong with male viewers for some reason.

Archived