CBS vs ABC Daytime

• Members

I think it is because when I turn on a show i like to see the same actors and actresses like a prime time show that is what the Y&R does best they keep their core of characters the same unlike all the other shows.

plus they have lots of business storylines which is also a reason i watch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ronn Moss. LOLLLLLL

Yeah, B&B sure has an amazing feature film level cast... (Susan Flannery is AMAZING though)

I have to agree that Y&R has the best adult cast on daytime. OLTL is a close second. (OLTL has the WEAKEST younger cast on daytime.. Archer...Boulding.....Fumero.....the girl who plays Starr.... and the screenhog Williamson who would not understand the meaning of nuance or subtext if it hit her over the head.

I think GH's cast is overrated. Although that new LoCicero chick is great. I think GH's younger cast is top notch.

• Members

B&B is very hit and miss. You have one side that has SF, Heather Tom, and Lesli Kay. (And if you use "primetime" standards, Patrick Duffy was in primetime, lol) And then you have Ron Moss, Texas Battle, and John McCook. (I won't say that any of them are horrible, but they just aren't the strongest, lol).

• Members

Lisa LoCicero has been an amazing addition to the GH cast. Her acting is flawless and her character is just so likeable, if only they could write for Carly this way... I hope she continues to become a major player at GH, although they do tend to introduce female characters strong, sassy and likeable before reducing them to pathetic, whiny shrews a few months later (Claudia, Kate, Lulu)

• Members

As someone who has watched shows from both networks, I've gotta say that CBS wins the acting contest hands down. It never really hit me until I saw AMC and ATWT on the same day. I(t was night and day. The hamminess and the scenery-chewing that passes for acting on ABC is unbelievable. I think Y&R and ATWT have the best actors. The worst performers can be found on AMC and , of course, NBC's Days of our Lives.

• Members

Yeah, I go back and forth between both networks- but I trust CBS soaps because half of them are still run by the people who created them- If Agnes still consulted or more for her shows I don't think there would be any comparison because OLTL and AMC would have more focus....But ushering her in for their anniversaries tells me she's long gone from these shows and that's too bad because they really need her these days.

Y&R has always had a strong cast- but they really invest in their characters and don't have the revolving door many ABC shows have....BUt OLTL has the cast with the best potential..however unrealized and unfulfilled.

• Members

I think the only actors on AMC that are truly awful are the girl who plays Randi and the girl who plays Colby (sorry, can’t remember their names). They pretty much suck acting-wise on all levels.

Cameron Mathison is over-the-top, but can sometimes deliver. The same goes for Alicia Minshew; she’s laughably awful in dramatic scenes, a la hammy Bette Davis (grand gestures and shrieking voice). Aiden Turner is pretty wooden and I don’t think has very much range.

Other than them (mainly ''Randi'' & ''Colby''), I think AMC’s cast is good -- no worse than OLTL or GH, and certainly better than DOOL's.

• Members

From a production standpoint, barring the travesty that is GL, the CBS soaps are much better produced aesthetically than the ABC soaps. The Bell soaps have always had great production, but ATWT is a much better looking show than AMC, and probably on par with OLTL. I find AMC and GH horribly produced and insanely cheap looking. GH and AMC have some good directors though, but I think the film look and choppy editing on AMC takes a good deal away from the show's look.

• Members

GH doesn't have the best cast. The majority of the cast is lazy as hell. I won't lie though, I think CBS collectively has the better actors. That's because ABC hires too many of the same actors. There was some time ago when AMC was HORRIBLE with nearly every female looking and acting the same. I used to think OLTL had the best supporting cast, but these days, not anymore.

• Members

Oh God...you forgot Farah Fath. She is really hard to take. I have tried and failed to get myself interested in OLTL again, and she's one of the major reasons I've given up on the show.

And Kristin Alderson has sort of become a very whiny, drippy actress as she ages.

I agree that Y&R has the best cast now, followed by ATWT (although Goutman has weakened it and has inexplicably made the mediocre Marie Wilson a leading actress). AMC is very hit-and-miss. GH has potential to be a very well-acted soap, but the writing appeals to some of the actors' worst, laziest habits (Maurice Benard's bad Pacino impression, for example). B&B is hilariously all-over-the-place as people have pointed out, with daytime's best (Flannery, Kay, Tom, Alley Mills) and worst (Ronn Moss) talents. GL and DAYS aren't even on my radar right now...

• Members

Word.

I've yet to see this "improvement" in Fath's acting since her transition from DAYS to OLTL. It also doesn't help that Carlivati has a hard-on for the Gigi character and pimps her as much as he can.

It's a soap opera, you're supposed to be a dramatic actor/actress. However, Fath's acting kills every "dramatic" scene she's in.

• Members

It sucks because I really enjoyed Fath during the on the run storyline with Marcie, and her relationship with Viki. I guess better actors elevates her abilities, or she's just better at lighter stuff. I'm also getting tired off JPL (Rex), but that's mainly because of the light they've put him in with Gigi. I feel sorry for Kristen Alderson, because she used to be good, but now she's just playing herself it seems, and has lost the true essence of Starr Manning. The only actors on General Hospital who truly captivate me or Nancy Lee Grahn, Ric Hearst, and Jane Elliot. Unfortunately, the writing is unbearable for all three actors (albeit some amazing monologues here and there), and there characters have become so unlikeable. IMHO those three actors are le creme a la crop, when it comes to daytime, and General Hospital. I used to love Lesli Charleson and Jacklyn Zeman, but the botched cosmetic surgery has turned me off completely from there "acting." As for All My Children, I just find there cast to be boring and generic, with a few standouts. They really cut loose a lot of amazing talent over the years, because they used to have one of THE top casts IMO. Then again, a lot of the cast these days have been trimmed in terms of talent.

• Members

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I agree completely.

I have NEVER been able to watch AMC due to the fact that I find it completely cheap and tacky looking with completely unimaginative production. I didn't even watch during its late 80's (when I was completely insane for OLTL and GH). And the film "look" is a disaster.

How GH can look this cheap and completely GRAY with that flat dark lighting is beyond me. And I LOVE dark lighting- Y&R and OLTL have dark lighting but the shows are filled with color and depth and shadows... Say what you will about JFP, her shows generally look outstanding.... GH is completely visually flat. It boggles me how ABC lets its crown jewel look so terrible.

OLTL is ABC's best looking show by far, minus some completely TACKY sets that would give a Y&R set designer a heart attack- Roxie's hotel and Marcie's apartment come to mind..

Y&R is and will always be the best looking soap on the air. Paul, don't change the lighting.

Archived