Dark Shadows

• Members

Bennett once acknowledged that she had signed a long-term contract at the beginning of DS, with a guarantee of three episodes per week. I have no idea if the show later downgraded that, but I tend to think as the (nominal, at least) star of the show, she might have been the exception rather than the rule, and still been paid even during times when her on-screen appearances were rare.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The same thing is true for David Henesy.  He is seen in the 1840 storyline, but I do not think that he was in the 1840 parallel time storyline.  

A number of other performers were not seen during that time:  Virginia Vestoff (except for one episode), Donna Wandrey, James Storm, Terry Crawford, Hubert Humbert Astredo, Gene Lindsey, Clarice Blackburn (last seen during the future episodes).

Keith Prentiss and Michael McQuire were added.  Jerry Lacy returned.  Tom Happer was in there somewhere, and I think that it was during the last part.

When Joan Bennett disappeared during the Laura Collins storyline and then when Judith Collins Trask was deceased, she was using the vacation clauses of her contract.      

Erica Slezak had a similiar clause at One Life to Live; she did not work during the month of August.

• Members

Joan also had time off for a play during the Cassandra story, which led the show to create the story of Cassandra/Angelique sending Liz into a living death.

I think Vestoff went to work on the film version of 1776. It was nice she at least got that brief spot in the 1841PT but it was disappointing she never appeared after that one episode. 

There were long periods of Karlen barely appearing - he was only in the 1897 story for a few weeks, then somewhat infrequently appeared as Willie near the end of the Leviathan story and off and on in 1970PT (to give a reason why Barnabas couldn't be there, then he was killed off not too long after the filming for House of Dark Shadows wrapped up). I can't remember if Willie was in the Daphne/Gerard haunting story at all. Roger Davis was originally meant to play the role Karlen played in 1840 - that was his first quasi-leading man part and romantic part on DS, and I guess he did well enough to where they had him do the same in 1841PT. I wish they'd given him that opportunity earlier on.

I can't remember whether it's true or not but I swear I read David Henesy left the show and he and his family moved to California in the middle of the 1840 story. That would make sense, as recreating the Quentin/Beth haunting story with David and Hallie Stokes in pivotal roles quickly fizzled out once they got to 1840. Hallie/Carrie then had some airtime with Tom Happer - he was the son of a Thayer David character (Mordecai Grimes) who was some sort of farmer or something, and the two had a romance. Bless her heart, Kathy Cody could not act, and her airtime was very limited. I think in 1841PT they had her 1840 character's double as having psychic powers, which at least gave her something different to do.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I thought a lot of Summer 1970 worked when it shouldn't have as a retread because of the dread held over from the terrifying 1995 short-term interlude - I remember the episodes with the prophecised summer eclipse, or whatever. I liked Donna Wandrey as the other Roxanne, and more Chris Pennock always made me happy. But I also haven't seen it in maybe 20 years.

• Members

That was the Sebastian Shaw character, wasn't it (I wonder if Claremont had any inspiration...). I remember the first episode back being very tense, with Roger being in a central role and such a sense of foreboding. I think Roger left not long after...

One of my favorite parts of the Leviathan saga was seeing Roger finally wake up to terrible things happening around him and taking a major part in the action. The perpetually clueless present day Collinwood denizens were always too much for me to suspend in disbelief terms in those last few years.

• Members

Yes, that was Sebastian Shaw. I liked him.

I've always liked Leviathans more than most. There was a real kitchen sink quality - anything could happen. Angelique's role was great; Roger changed. Little Michael Maitland was such a hoot and I wish he could've hung around. A lot of fun stuff.

• Members

RIP Malcolm Marmorstein.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/malcolm-marmorstein-dead-obituary-screenwriter-petes-dragon-dark-shadows-barnabas-collins-was-92-1234621513/

I'm confused over his claim that Barnabas never would have killed innocents, as that was exactly who early Barnabas was, but I never had any interest in that film so who am I to complain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The original Phoenix story had some very powerful moments, and Diana Millay gave the role of Laura the proper enigmatic qualities - the stories she would tell of the Phoenix, or the way she would sit at the fire to work her magic. The return didn't really work, but I did enjoy her faceoffs with Angelique. 

All Dark Shadows fans owe her a debt of gratitude, as it was the Laura story that kept the show on the air.

• Members

I liked both of her stints.

Her 1st stint, she started off sympathetic...and everything about that story was strong.  Including the final show off between Vicki and Laura..where David chooses Vicki over his mom.

The 2nd stint was uneventful except for the scenes with Angelique.