AMC: Uncasting Spoiler

xtr

• Members

I don't think so. The only AMC story that will get recognition will probably be the Hubbard story. AMC can't buy an acting nomination with this new nomination process.

To be honest this is kind of a relief. This is so much better then watching my favorite character deteriorate into a slow suffering death at the hands of Baker's performance. It's like Babe had a lobotomy once she took over the roll. This is an improvement. I would rather Babe died at the hands of the Satin Slayer then deal with Baker's rendition of "Babe Carey".

I'm glad that she turned them down. Her and Justin seem to be adapting well in L.A.

He lost Babe when Alexa exited the role. Baker has no chemistry with any of the people Babe is supposed to have chemistry with. She also looks nothing like Vincent at ALL and the scenes with Baker and Vincent will be down right painful to sit threw.

Word. At long last this watered down version Babe Carey will be laid to rest.

Babe without a personality. Babe without charisma. Babe without conviction, ect. et al.

I am saddened that the character is dying but to be honest she has been dying a slow death since Havins exited the role. She is what made Babe special to begin with. Without Havins the role is virtually nothing. It's a non-entity that walks, talks and pushes plot. I will say that I am sorry for Little Adam. He will have to grow up without a mother and I think that's a horriable thing to face. However it looks like JR is actually pulling himself together and is becoming somewhat respectable so I think he might end up half way normal. I just hate to think that Little Adam won't remember his mother or will only remember fleeting memories of her. I feel bad for Alexa's Babe because I truely felt the true love and care that Alexa devoted to creating the mother/son bond with Jared. I don't feel even a fraction of unconditional love Havin's Babe has for LA that Baker's Babe has for LA.

That being said Emily's death on GH was much worse just due to the fact of all the history Emily had with Zander and Nicholas as well as Lucky, Elizabeth and Jason. She was part of the Quatermain legacy and she had ties to the community, ect. Babe is important to the family unit of Jabe and Krystal but beyond that she is so completely cut off from everything else in PV. Yeah she has "friends" like Annie, Amanda, ect. but they aren't "real" friends or even real fleshed out realtionships that AH's Babe had in the past (this is mostly due to the writing) Babe hasn't really connected with anyone in such a LONG time that her death will be a profound event but it won't be crippling.

If Babe still had strong relationships with Bianca, Josh, Jaime, Amanda, Zoe, ect. then it would be much more poignant and heartfelt.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because Emmy buzz, let alone Emmy wins should be the least of their concerns. Sure Emmys feel nice, but what do they really do for shows (GL??), and is winning awards what they're in this for? Things like this are distractions from what should be the focus which is excellent storytelling. When an actor does a scene, his/her objective shouldn't be "to turn out an Emmy-worthy performance." I mean, what does that even mean really?

I don't want to overreact, afterall it was just a short blurb, but I just find the idea of a$$ kissers circling Jacob Young telling him that he's SO gonna win an Emmy, well, disgusting. And if the idea of him and others getting nominations or even winning is what's getting TIIC's rocks off right now, well they really need to get their priorities straight.

And although I wasn't referring to Babe, I do find it a little unsettling to see people rooting for even a character's death having very recently lost a few loved ones. I don't think fans had this much vitriol for Ray Gardner and Todd Manning. :P

• Members

I highly doubt AMC is investing this much money into the tornado just for Emmys. Yeah, I'm sure Emmys are on their mind (as an added bonus) and why not? GH wins plenty of Emmys for their Disasters-of-the-week.

But, namely, I think AMC is doing this in an attempt to boost the ratings, and to bring some buzz back to the show. After the long dark periods of McTavish/B&E, this show desperately needs some good old fashioned positive word of mouth. And unlike other half-assed attempts to spark some buzz (like the Mardi Gras Ball... the excitement with that lasted for exactly one five-minute scene -- the explosion itself; or how about Crash, which was exciting for two weeks tops), I think Pratt is making a serious effort to get not only get the storylines and characters moving in a way they haven't before, but I think he's actually going to BUILD upon the ramifications of the tornado and spawn (excuse the pun) some pretty darned interesting story out of it. I think the stories that are going to come out of this will be great. I think the way the current stories will be changed will be great. David's return was good enough for me, but now we have Bianca and her new girlfriend arriving post-tornado as well? AND BABE DIES!?!?!? Wow, now it's clear that they are invested in this 'event' way beyond just the few days of CGI they are going to churn out. For once, I'm actually looking forward to something on AMC.

• Members

Me too Khan, and I'm all for the show trying to better itself, I think all of that is great! When creating compelling story is the first priority, I'm with them 100%. I'm just saying let's focus on that, Emmy's for the actors are just icing and let's not even be distracted by the prospects of them right now. Just the idea of people inflating JY's head with Emmy gold at the end of this storyline rainbow (rainbows, tornados, I'm mixing my metaphors) just seems superfluous to me.

• Members

I'd say that Bobbie Eakes will run with this material moreso than Jacob Young. She's the real one to watch for. She made it in before with a lot less meatier material, and so I could see her scoring a nod easily for this story.

But I still don't see what the heck the big deal is about what Nelson Branco reported. An unnamed "setsider" (which could be anyone -- or hell, Nelson could be making up his own quotes) told him that this will be great Emmy material. It's not as if Julie Hanan Carruthers is running around saying, "We're killing Babe, but the best part is that Jacob's gonna get Emmy material! Woo!!!1"

• Members

As I said in a previous post, I don't mean to blow that little blurb out of proportion. It just struck a chord with me... a pet peeve. I work in theatre/television, and hearing people talk about awards even in passing when we should be busy just trying to do good work is something that's always bugged the hell out of me. It makes me question the true motives of the so-called "artistes" around me. And when you couple that with an actor who I think already has big enough of a head, well perhaps you can understand my reaction/reasoning. ;)

And I agree with what you said about Bobbie Eakes. A mother losing her child will certainly yield beefy stuff, and it's the beef I'm interested in, not the gold. :D

Archived