DAYS: Resurrecting a dead topic....

• Members

I know that this was discussed ages ago but can't remember if anyone ever had an answer.

Back in 2004-2005 when the Salem Stalker storyline was playing out I think everyone pretty much agreed that the storyline did not play out the way it was originally intended. Does anyone know or have an idea as to how it was suppose to have played out?

I remember an article in late 2004 where Ken Corday or JER was quoted as saying the storyline had 4 parts to it and that the final part was suppose to be Marlena going on trial for all the murders. Of course that never happened and the storyline came to it's absolutely absurd conclusion after summer 2005.

Would be curious if anyone has any insider knowledge about JER's original story plans and if the dead characters were suppose to stay dead originally.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ I remember reading about that.

It's obvious that the victims up until Doug were supposed to really die and stay dead, that being Abe, Jack, Maggie, Cassie, Caroline, Roman and Tony. When Bill Hayes and Susah Seaforth Hayes agreed to return as Doug and Julie in the beginning of 2004, they asked Corday if they were only being brought back in order for their characters to be killed. Corday told them no and a month later, Doug was killed by Marlena. However, at this point, I'm sure that Corday knew all of the victims would turn up alive due to fan outcry, so he wasn't really lying to the Hayeses. Doug would be killed, but Bill Hayes wouldn't be out of a job for a long as Doug would turn up alive months later.

• Members

Somehow, somewhere, someone got cold feet on this story. And I bet it had to do with all the vets leaving the canvas.

NBC would have been kidding themselves if they expected anyone would watch the new Days. Ya, sure, they would have saved a boatload of money by not having the vets on but the ratings probably would have approached Passions' levels (and consider at the height of all this insanity, Days nearly hit what, a 4.5?)

The Hortons would have been decimated. The Bradys would have been toast. In their place would have been a bunch of disjointed characters and stories led by Bo and Hope.

I am sooooo glad someone changed their minds. Maybe it was Reilly. Maybe it was Corday. Whatever the case, thanks for giving us back the Days we enjoyed (well, at least all the characters we enjoyed... lol)

• Members

Marlena going to trial for all those murders could have been FANTASTIC. But, I agree: The long-term potential of killing off all those vets would have been possibly devastating for the show.

Aw, the SS Storyline.... so crappy, so wonderful. :lol:

• Members

I understand in some ways what some of you are saying about the characters, but to tell you the honest truth not one of them has really had any meaninful story since they returned.

For awhile Maggie fought with Bonnie over Mickey and then nothing.

Jack was soon written out again.

Roman is still doing the same old things he always did. Abe pretty much the same. Cassie came back and disappeared. Caroline had a brief flirtation with Victor and then nothing. Tony has had a little to do but the meat of the story he played went to Andre and the rest of the time he just floats in the background pretty much.

I mean not one of them have been used in any way that was worthy of paying to get them back. It is just another way that Days continues to waste money.

I don't get this big outcry from fans who just want their characters alive and as long as they are alive great. It's the same as the fanbases who cry put my faves on 5 days a week. Just give them some kind of story and let them appear. I'm happy just as long as they are on.

I could appreciate Days plight more if they put some of these actors they just use as background on recurring instead of consistently paying them and not using them to fully benefit story.

And I have always understood why the Hayes' would ask that question of Corday. He has always been rumored to be the main one behind their firings in 1984. In the SOD article about them he is the only one that spoke out about their firings and the anger that both felt toward Days at the time.

• Members

That story got me tuning in. In horror. It hurt, to see each of them die...not just die, but so BRUTALLY. I would have been less negative about it if it had been a sudden nuclear explosion or something fast and painless. (I realize that wouldn't have been dramatic).

When Alice Horton was choked to death with a donut, that was the last straw. Not only to kill her, but for LAUGHS. In addition, it was just such a horrible, terrifying way to die.

I think a lot of fans actually could have lived with the deaths...and the promise of a whole new "angelic corps". It would have moved Days into the Passions realm but...what the heck.

Steve Frame nails it. Days didn't commit one way or another. They didn't commit to housecleaning. They also didn't commit to USING their vets. So, we ended up with a lackluster product that left fans feeling either shocked (at the horror of the murders) and the disrespect it implied for the vets, OR betrayed (in the sense that it was all a horrid fakeout).

Many shows are guilty of criminal neglect of vets. Days is particularly egregious...because they are all on canvas...but pointless.

• Members

If I recall correctly I remeber reading something in both TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly saying that the SSK would have eventually envolved Stefano and witchcraft and that JER was planning a supernatural spin-off of Days...this was back in the spring of 2004 around the same time of the big reveal.

• Members

I remember that too! All those angels were going to show up in a new show. We couldn't have imagined this :-).

Now, I wanna also acknowledge that this story actually got me interested and engaged in the show. I watched regularly. (Could it already have been on Soapnet? I'm thinking yes...or that means I actually started RECORDING it...which would be unprecedented). Regardless, as horrified and disgusted as I was by what they were doing, it was also compelling drama. When Marlena was revealed as the killer, and shouted "Olly, Olly, Oxen Free" or whatever to Mrs. Horton...well, I was riveted.

I remember being riveted by Celeste's psychic visions. (This is NOT my genre...but the actors were really BRINGING it). When Marlena died, and her coffin started RACING (it seemed) to the underworld....just fascinating.

I EVEN didn't mind the the MELASWEN idea. The thing that was WRONG about it was that it all became Andre's ruse. It would have been far more interesting if that had been some "new dimension".

• Members

To tell you the truth, I think I'm permanently poisoned on this story because of my dislike for James Reilly. This story cemented for me that he had to go (never mind it was his first story back!! lol)

This story will be forever debated. I hope someone from Days opens their mouth eventually, like Matt Ashford, so we can find out just what the hell happened.

• Administrator

My speculation - the dead are alive revelation was suppose to be the huge Olympic cliffhanger but Ken Corday pushed up to May, thus eliminating what Reilly planned. I think Melaswen was suppose to be a little different and Tony was not suppose to be the mastermind.

I don't remember that. :huh:

I don't remember this either! LOL

Anyone have these articles?

You did!!?? :o Melaswen was horrible!! The SSK was awesome to watch. :)

What would Matt Ashford know?

The person to ask is Jim Reilly! Michael Logan needs to do an in depth interview with his buddy!

Didn't he have trouble remembering lines?

• Members

I remember reading that his commute to the studio was getting to be a hassle since they were giving him a much heavier storyline, plus he tried to offer having his character be killed off instead of Suzanne Rogers'. I'm guessing if the storyline never happened and Mickey had stayed being just the town lawyer, John Clarke wouldn't have a problem putting in an appearance once or twice a month.

• Members

I disagree.

I dont think someone got cold feet, i think someone got cocky. Thought they could change the entire story halfway into it and that fans wouldnt care that theyw ere played for fools and treated like idiots.

I also disagree about days not being able to go on. Because honestly, yes all those people had a history but none really had a story. Days could have gone on with Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Sami, & the gang.

No. He was unable to work anylonger. The reason he wanted Mickey killed off instead of maggie was because he knew he couldnt do it any longer. And of course to save Suzanne.

Archived