DAYS: Resurrecting a dead topic....

• Members

Don't get me wrong, the first part of Melaswen sucked. When Roman and Abe were showing Marlena around New Salem in their hawaii shirts while Jack and Jennifer were hanging over a cliff for three weeks. But I kinda liked the second part when John, Bo, Brady, Tek and Nicole came to the island and Tony (ehh Andre) was revealed as the mastermind.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh... bad memories... bad memories... But for some reason, I even stuck through this storyline... probably because I was younger and had more patience with soaps back then.. If this were to happen today, I would have probably dropped it from my watching schedule the moment Marlena's casket started falling through the ground...

And yeah, I remember the interview where Corday said that this story had 4 chapters or something like that. I used to have that on my computer, but it got lost when my computer crashed... :P

• Members

The SSK was the one and ONLY time I watched Days. The beggining and up through the holidays was dark, sinister, scary...and then it became Reilly camp crap when Marlena was revealed to be the killer. Even after that it was craptastic, I can't believe I am watching this..like an Ed Wood movie, bad writing, worse acting, silly situations, (Tigers running loose in Salem, a sloppy killer who would leave tons of evidence behind in her wake..but somehow no one could catch on, and of course, Dee Halls immovable botoxed face frozen through the whole thing.)

What could have been a good storyline...two families targeted by a killer who was actaully one of their own, even with the supernatural stuff (it could have been a Stephen King novel turned soap, normal people having to confront a completely abnormal event) with the characters suspecting each other,and the heightened grief and tension making them do things they wouldnt do...was ruined, around Christmas, it started being played for laughs and NO ONE actually grieved, or seemed to be the least bit concerned that there was a killer loose targeting the ones they loved. 90 year old Alice Horton told her family she was going for a walk to the cemetary..even though not only a killer was loose but an escaped Tiger was on the prowl!?!!?!? When Alice was "killed," and it was played competely for laughs, and not one character had a realistic reaction to the killing, it made soap history as the most exploitative, cynical storyline ever created.

If they had kept it serious, and kept it a real mystery, and limited the number of victims (it became like a Jason movie, one disposable character after another) and tightened the pace it could have been a classic. I even liked the island .well, except for the over the top recreation of Salem.) Is stuck it out, thinking, "Hey there has to be some big ass pay off," and there was none, even the explanation made abolutley no sense as it contradicted everything we saw before (an unfortunate precedent was set, as other soaps, specifically GL, followed suit, and what we saw on one day, was contradicted the next to suit a lazy writer.)

It would have been interesting to see what Reilly had originally planned. Maybe he wanted to keep it dark and the network (I know the president didnt want the characters to grieve too much, it would be "depressing,") forced his hand, so he said, what the hell, I will make it outrageously campy. There was a definate change in atmosphere and tone a third of the way into it. However I cant believe that it would have been Marlena..no way would they loose the stone faced Dee Hall.

I will however, miss watching (and laughing) at the devine Celeste, reading her tarot cards ( "Oh my God, NOOOOOO....Spirtis of the Night, tell me its not true!") and running around town, warning everyone (in between changing hairstyles ) "EVIL is loose in Salem!!!"

Archived