Nelson Branco on Ellen Wheeler

• Members

HUMOUR

IMAGINARY CONVERSATIONS — Strange encounters in my subconscious

With GL’s executive producer Ellen Wheeler

The Economist: Is GL still on the air?

Ellen Wheeler: Not if I can help it.

TeleNext Publicity: [interjecting] What she meant to say is GL is the best soap opera on air. And Nelson Branco is a communist.

EW: What he said.

The Economist: You invented a new production module, but you sacrificed story. Some would say that’s career suicide.

EW: I build houses — freak, freak, freak, freaking freak — in New Orleans. I can do whatever I want.

The Economist: And they're better-looking sets than GL has.

EW: Barbara Bloom. Barbara Bloom. [begins weeping before Telenext PR gives her another pill]

The Economist: Why are your actors leaving in droves?

EW: The devil is inside them! Only Ellen, er, love can save the world. [begins laughing like the Joker in Batman.]

The Economist: Cheque, please!

Telenext: And here's your cheque for doing this story. I'll write it myself and you can print it. Ciao!

--

The New York Times: It's nice to met you, Ellen.

Ellen Wheeler: [breaks down in tears]

The New York Times: Are you going through menopause?

EW: [flings herself on the floor, and continues to weep] I feeeel things.

--

People: So Ellen, you're going to save soaps....

Ellen Wheeler: [accepts a pill from a TeleNext PR rep] Gulp! [mutters] Nelson Branco should die! Die! Die! Die! [begins crying and strangling herself]

People: This is so Lindsay Lohan!

EW: [stops crying] Do you think we can get her on our show?

People: [laughs] It's a possibility!

EW: She's so hot... [checks herself mentally] I'm not gay, you know. [touches her breast and begins weeping] Not. Gay. Mormon. Save. World. Heroes. Guiding. Light. Ricky. Beth. I'm. Not. Crazy. Booga, Booga. Babba.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I admit, I giggled but c'mon... He then complains when shows don't accept his interview requests? You don't need ot be a suck up (and I agree too much of the soap press is) but you don't go mocking someone (and think you can get away with it by calling it a humour column) and then expect to be welcomed to their set lol

• Members

I usually enjoy Nelson and his column but, woah. How forced and unfunny was that? It was like something Soaptown's self-styled "hilarious" B&B columnist would produce.

And really, Ellen Wheeler and GL? That's like kicking a rabid dog just before it is about to be put down.

• Members

I get the feeling he thinks cuz he labeled it Humour, has the "cute" lead that it's crazy conversations in his subconscious, and gives it a high concept comedy glisten by basing each one on a different publications' interview styles (which I don't really see but, no matter) Nelson thinks he can get away with it.

• Members

I am sorry but IMO that was the most immature and unfunny thing I have seen. First of all Ellen Wheeler being a mormon and trashing her for that is totally uncalled for. Anything that has to do with Wheeler's religion should be off limits. It really shows what he is an unfunny, unreliable, and just trashy source. I am sorry but when you go toward someone's religion it is no longer funny anymore. I do not care what anyone thinks about EW it is just unprofessional. That is why Nelson is known as not reputable at all in this industry. If you want class then go to Marlena DeLaCroix who is a professional and who actually knows most of all the head writers/executive producers in the biz and who has worked in the industry for years with class. God how I miss the Mimi Torchin's in this biz because we get the unfunny Nelson Branco in place. I can totally understand why Barbara Bloom has thrown him out of events/anything to do with CBS. I have noticed the less interviews he has gotten lately which means maybe soap nets are boycotting their actors from speaking to Nelson. I now can totally understand Bloom's position here. Little does Nelson realize Bloom loves Wheeler, so these little jabs will just be a total boycott of any of CBS actors/actresses talking to Nelson. Also he keeps praising Y&R like it is so amazing. I found the show better then under Latham but not great. The show is okay but nothing like the dynasty of Bill Bell. Maria Arena Belll/Sheffer doing okay but it still lacks and is kind of boring.

• Members

Branco continues to show his usual amount of class and respect. He's become the tabloid reporter of the soap world. The Days story involving Scott was waaay blown out of proportion, and only half reported. Then he goes and takes on Wheeler, thinking overwhelming fan sentiment against her means he can write this classless, and horrendously written "script". I LOVE GL. The early 90's were great on that show, and I do think that Wheeler has destroyed it, as do many. She has trashed the show and what vision she has for GL is not healthy for the drama, or the soap world in general. I think most people feel that Wheeler has taken Daytimes oldest soap, a true crown jewel, and butchered it. BUT, that write up is inexcusable for any commentator or journalist. Harsh isn't the word. Classless, arrogant, silly, tripe...those words seem to fit. One thing it isn't is surprising.

• Members

Gray this is a sad thing for me though when the industry is deviod of the class it used to have. OMG BRING BACK MIMI TORCHIN and offer her the moon, sun and stars to return to daytime anywhere. That woman is pure class and treated the industry like it was gold. OMG SOW before the SOD minions took it over was all about treating the industry like it was the golden standard in the industry. I still get my fix with Marlena who I used to love every single article of hers in SOW. Gray what has happened to the days of intelligent, wonderful, honest great soap journalism. I can understand Bloom's position to boycott Nelson. Who the hell is Nelson to take on Barbara Bloom? Bloom is the CBS daytime prexy and Nelson is just known as some seedy journalist. The thing about is we have freedom of speech in this country. When it comes down to mocking someone's religion like Nelson did it makes him look so bad not only in front of internet community, his peers but to the TPTB in the industry. Daysfanatic I am not a big Wheeler fan for GL. I think she needs work but I am not going to say she has zero talent. She was an amazing actress in the industry. OMG Cindy dying of AIDS was so sad. As I have said though Wheeler really had no choice with this format, it was either this or GL was canned. Anyways not many actresses get elevated behind the scenes in the community and she is the only real daytime actress since Francesca James who has been an executive producer. Anyways my thing is trash the show and trash her vision that is fine but to trash the woman's religion. Her being a mormon should have nothing to do with the state of the show. That is discrimination against someone's religion. Bloom loves Wheeler, so she sees this I would not be surprised that she boycotts anyone CBS from having anything to do with Nelson.

Archived