Y&R: Has Kristoff St John (Neil) Benefited Most from MAB and HS?

• Members

During August, Kristoff St. John (Neil) was in the Top 5 episode count. He was featured in 15 out of 21 episodes. This is a major jump even from July when he was featured in only 7 episodes and was ranked at #28.

Do you think that Maria A. Bell and Hogan Sheffer are going to continue having Neil on the frontburner, or will he soon go back to mostly the backburner? What do you want to written for Neil?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure this was only due to Ana's paternity reveal. They'll probably backburn him after this. They seem to refuse to write ONLY for Neil and Karen.

But he may be a little bit more involved due to all the Newman Enterprises stuff.

• Members

MAB has said that Tyra and Ana aren't gone for good, so their presence might still be felt in Neil's life still as he copes with them being gone, and that would let them still have a Tyra/Neil/Karen story without even having Tyra on screen.

And he might also get airtime in the Chloe/Kate-Cane-Lily story, too, since he won't want Lily involved with Cane as long as Cane's the father of that baby, no matter what Chloe's real name is.

• Members

What I like is that Neil has been pretty important in three distinct storylines: Lane-Chloe; Devon-Ana; Victor's death and the NE power shift. I don't care so much about front burner storylines...Y&R always understood that supporting roles didn't mean you were only seen once a week. Neil proves that he can be front and center in visibility, and be strong as a character, even if he is not personally driving a front-burner storyline.

The long-term spectre of Dru is strong enough that they need to move slowly with him. Think about Rowell's last extended absences....romantically, Neil always ended up with fairly little to do as a front burner character. That didn't really diminish Neil.

Could the whole Winters clan have stronger stories? Yeah. Could Lily be played by a stronger acress? Yeah. But is the situation bad now? Not at all. I have a clear sense of who Neil is. For example, when Devon said he was going back to school, my heart brighted right along with Neil's. We know him well enough to know that this is absolutely the course Neil would value.

• Members

IMO, I like getting Neil in small doses. I think Kristoff is a gread actor, but Neil is just so boring to me. I still like him in those supporting roles (a husband, a Newman employee, a father......). I always thought Neil was the most boring one out the Winters/Barber clan. I loved Dru, Olivia and Malcolm more than I did Neil.

• Members

I think the actor is great, but I'm with you, there was something about the safety of his s/l that always bugged me- front burner or back burner. His greatest work came from the entire Dru/Lily/Malcolm reveal from a year ago, but I don't think he earned my sympathy once they turned him self-righteous.

I also think giving him the new club was one of Y&R's best moves, because it provided him with some night time conflict without making him someone's side kick.

I think Y&R should explore the night club s/l for Neil. Get him involved with Victor as his investor and throw him into the dynamics that have fueled the show. Didn't Victor invest in the club? I don't want to see the Neil/Victor bond broken- but explored.

I think Lily could benefit from her aunt Olivia- whatever happened to Nate Junior?

• Members

Kristoff St. John is amazingly talented, but Neil Winters is not a front burner character. He's not a leading character. Kristoff could certainly pull off a leading role, but Neil is not that role. Neil has always been pretty much a supporting character, always. And for me, that works.

For me, I'd rather see Neil in everyone's storylines, supporting them, rather than having his own story, because as others have said, Neil isn't that interesting of a character and is rather boring. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either. That's just who the character of Neil Winters is and always has been.

• Members

Was Sheffer on the writing staff when Tyra and Ana arrived and Karen returned? If so, then yes - KSJ has benefited from the Bell/Sheffer combo. That said, I would rather have Dru than Tyra as Karen's rival.

I admit that CK isn't the strongest actress, but she is still very good and she suits the role. But while she may not be Meryl Streep, she IS Lily Winters. She practically grew up on the show. It would be like replacing Camryn Grimes.

• Members

Was there a point in which he turned Self Righteous? I always remember him being that way from the beginning. It started with telling Dru that modeling wasn't a legitimate career like her sister Olivia had being a doctor. The way I see it, he is a very insecure man who only finds security in finding the inferiority in other people.

• Members

He has more screentime, but I still don't see any passion for his character. Kristoff needs someone to come in and be in love with him or Neil. He doesn't need Victoria Rowell, as many people think, he's very talented just in need of the right new direction. Unfortunately, his status as a black man hurts him, IMO. As a leading man on the show as long as he has been, his character should've been utilized better by now. Watch. If Victoria Rowell returns they won't put Dru with someone else, it'll be Neil and Dru all over again. Until she returns it'll be a revolving door of minorities love interests regardless of chemistry. Why not try him with Sharon, Victoria, Lauren, etc.? Or I dunno...cast a proper love interest for him? If it were Peter Bergman or even Don Diamont you know they wouldn't throw him with Eva or Nia when the chemistry is so lacking.

Archived