CBS Television: New daytime show with Leah Remini

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 14 2008, 10:38 AM)
Ya know, Mark, Bloom is a real genuine fan of GL. And, Bloom doesn't want to be the one to pull the plug on it, so there are factors & then there are factors.

And, not that it matters much in terms of GL's soaps, but I can't get past the Scientology either. She's not THAT good.

The support of a VP like Bloom, sadly, to me means little. LEST THERE BE ANY DOUBT, I do not want GL cancelled. I want it to survive and thrive. But execs can be easily replaced.

I was in GRADUATE SCHOOL when JP was in diapers. So, old fart is a relative term. On this board, I feel quite ancient, which is why I am delighted DonnaB is joining in the fun :).

Exactly. Corporate, CBS makes MORE money if an affiliate doesn't run GL and replaces it with Leah Remini (or whatever...I can't believe I just typed that horrible scenario!). Affiliates also usually keep more of the ad revenue from syndicated shows, right (albeit at higher up front cost).

In the end, my cynicism is a bracing response. I am waiting for "when", not "if" (on all eight remaining shows). So, each beat of the drum causes another shudder.

Then the optimistic side to me says: 7.5 open daytime hours?? Yippee!! Lots of programming needed!! Someone will create a re-invented drama for the new era!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is just my little thought/opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't the networks aren't going to do daytime talk shows any more than they'll do daytime soaps anymore. "The View" is popular, but it's ratings aren't that entirely much higher than that of soaps. Game shows and talk shows are thriving much, much better in syndication than they are in network daytime. To be honest with you, I truly think that whenever soaps disappear from the networks' daytime schedules (whenever that'll be, be it five years, ten years, or fifty years from now), networks just won't program daytime anymore...they'll do their morning shows and give the rest of the day back to affiliates. It makes no never mind to me...most of the game shows in syndication that air here come on in the daytime at least once, and I sometimes forget that they're all syndicated shows and not network shows. Same with the talk shows (meaning celebrity guest-themed shows like Martha, Ellen, Rachael, etc).

• Members

That's if this Leah R. show even takes off. She's hardly a big name for a talk show like this (okay, she did KOQ, but outside of that, what do people know her for? A few episodes of "Saved by the Bell" over 15 years ago?), so I don't see many affiliates taking off GL to accommodate her show. I'd put her on the same level or maybe even a rung lower than Bonnie Hunt, who has a new show debuting in syndication this fall. It'll either be a moderate hit or it'll just crash and burn, and that goes for both Leah next year and Bonnie this year. Of course, there's always the very possible chance that their shows can be big hits, and I'm no expert at anything, so I won't make a prediction and call it the gospel of daytime television.

• Members

LINE OF THE DAY!!!!!

Totally correct point! There is much risk (high probability, I would say) that these talk shows do WORSE than the soaps they replace. But, if the investment in the talk shows is low...it can still save them $$.

I'd like to see one of these "reinventions" have someone like Remini do a comedy, with serial elements, during the daytime. Not another talk show, but something more interesting.

That said, I'd watch Bonnie Hunt in a heartbeat. She is droll.

• Members

Affiliates are not going to drop a soap opera for a talk show, if they are going to drop GL it will be for other reasons, but not to make room for something else. New talk shows are a hard sale to viewers and it's not really worth it to drop anything to make room for them.

• Members

Oh my God, dude, you have absolutely NO IDEA how much I would LOVE for there to be a "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"-like show syndicated for daytime. Hell, they could just do a remake of MHMH, if they had the right people running it. I would absolutely ADORE it...I can't even explain to you how much I would love it. And we're in a period where TV comedy is sort of that sly, you-have-to-be-a-little-nutso-to-get-it humor, so it would work perfectly. Hell, a network could run the show in a late night timeslot (FOX doesn't have one of those dull late night talk shows yet, right?) and maybe air week-behind episodes in the daytime/late afternoon. It'd be something completely new for this time, so they'd have to stand behind it and give it at least a year to take off. But good God, I'd be ALL OVER it. "Mary Hartman" makes me cry sometimes when I think about how much I love that fricken show.

ITA. Especially if Leah's show is going to be yet another show cut from that same Rosie/Ellen cloth. "Oh look, she's a bubbly, fun gal to host a talk show! Isn't this show fun?! The guests are having such a great time! It's so fun! Oh my God, she's giving away prizes! Fun show! Look at her dance! This show is so fun!"

It's exactly why I love "The View" and will love it until the day I die. Them bitches is real.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 14 2008, 02:55 PM)
You do know how long CBS Daytime was run, fairly incompetently, by Lucy Johnson, right? (Of course, it's not as long as NBC stuck with Susan Lee.)

And, I love Bonnie Hunt. But, not Mark Derwin. Furthermore, I'm not an old fart. I'm too young thinking for that!

Oh my goodness yes, you are one of the most engaging, youngest (as in flexible, live and let live [except vis-a-vis Scientology]) people I have "met".

Archived