Nelson Report

• Members

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/The+Nelson...lson.htm?isfa=1

<<REWIND: MASTER CLASS ACHIEVEMENTS

ATWT: The Punk and the Tramp

Don’t ever doubt the Zenk-ster, biatches! Last month, the beautiful, glamorous, and divine Colleen Zenk-Pinter (Babs) teased me — unsolicited, mind you — at the Creative Arts Emmys with a proclamation that was so outrageous that it had to be true… and it turns out she was right: Douglas Marland would probably be impressed with As The World Turns in July. High praise, indeed.

In what is sure to be named one of the top storylines of 2008, Emily and Casey’s breakout romance was finally exposed when Margo found lingerie model and part-time hooker, her nemesis, Emily practically naked in her kitchen after a roll in the hay with her son, Casey. Livid, Margo whipped out a gun, and at that moment, ATWT hit their story target. Ellen Dolan (Margo) and Kelley Menighan Hensley (Emily) have never been better in the acting department as their decade-long rivalry climaxed in a suspenseful and dramatic scene soaps used to master back in the day. Scott Holmes and Billy Magnussen were equally as riveting, as Tom and Casey found themselves dodging bullets figuratively and literally.

And the kicker? When Margo learned Casey already knew Emily moonlighted as a hooker, she demanded to know: “Omigod, Casey — you’re not paying her, are you?” Immediately, I had to pause the show to catch my breath. Margo’s dig will surely go down as one of the best insults in daytime history.

It’s just a shame ATWT chose to include that insipid Paul-Meg-Mike drivel in the same episode. Coupled with Martha Byrne’s (the only Lily) last air day and this surprising diva smackdown, Christopher Goutman and Jean Passanante already impressively boast two dynamic Emmy reels for best writing at the mid-year point.

Yep, this storyline is by far the most engaging and visceral material I’ve seen thus far this year (The Young and the Restless will probably contest this premature honour next month). In fact, with the exception of the dynamic and explosive Starr-Todd-Cole scenes this past February, nothing OLTL scribe Ron Carlivati has written, since then, can compete with ATWT’s aforementioned writing triumphs.

ATWT’s gift to Ellen Dolan and Scott Holmes on Tom and Margo’s historic 25th anniversary was the best kind: a juicy storyline mined in history that will have ramifications for months to come, especially if Tom sues Emily for custody of their son, Daniel. Bring it on!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't watched any of the story on ATWT so far, but I did read what Nelson said about it earlier this morning. Is it really that good?

I think Casey and Emily are absolutely disgusting. Casey is her son's brother. Casey was a child when Emily was with Tom.

That would be like Billie sleeping with Shawn on DAYS. It just should never happen.

• Members

I used to feel the same way Drew.....but on the scale of things, it's no worse than some of what the other soaps have done. There's a lot of internal conflict here due to the history and I think it plays off well.

Victoria slept with, married and almost had kids with Brad...the same man who banged her mother and almost married her.

Jack was Nick's stepfather, and now Jack is married to Nick's ex-wife, while Nick is banging Jack's former flame Phyllis (Phick :wub: )

Emily was a little girl when she came on the show, Sonny knew her as a kid. Emily dated Juan, a kid Sonny thought may have been his. Then Sonny banged Emily. *vomit*

• Members

In Brad and Victoria's case, Victoria was a grown ass woman by the time Brad and Nikki hooked up in the mid-90s. That's not the same case at all.

I'm sure at some point before Casey was SORASed, he and Daniel were around the same age. The fact that they were probably playing together in a scene, and maybe Emily came by to pick up Daniel and saw Casey playing with her son, and a couple years later, they're banging. That's sick.

Maybe the chemistry between the actors would make me not care about the ick factor, but I haven't really ever seen Emily and Casey in a scene together since I gave up ATWT months ago.

• Members

I'm sure it's giving the actors great material.

But after the craptastic stories Emily's gotten for the past few years (psycho attempted murdering kidnapper / hooker) did they REALLY need to go with 'Emily sleeps with her son's barely legal brother' route?

I mean they haven't trampled her character enough?

Especially considering she KNOWS Tom will yank Daniel from her.

• Members

And here's my problem.

Is it me, or does EVERY FREAKIN' TIME Scott Holmes show up in ANY storyline, it's always to say "Emily, I've had it. I'm suing for full custody of Daniel"

I feel like this is the thirtieth or fortieth time in the last ten years I've seen that scene.

I WOULD take the threat seriously, except we've heard it OVER and OVER and OVER again, and it never amounts to anything. EVER.

I loved those scenes too, but the second it went to that, I was just terribly bored. Been there, done that, and I don't really give a damn where the Invisible Child ends up. Does it really matter in the end? No. It doesn't.

Archived