The Doctors

• Members

Was the decision to get rid of Mona last minute? Meg Mundy didn't want to leave, right?

Do you think any of the new characters brought in on the show's last few years were a success?

I have the issue right after this one if you want me to transcribe what's in that. If you already have it or it's already on here somewhere then I won't.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Natalie is ready to do business with Billy, trading a necklace she stole from him for the "option-to-buy" paper on The Medicine Man. Billy laughs, saying she'll "have to 'work' for it." Natalie plays along, sexily, "I want it, I want it so bad." Aroused, Billy is caught off-guard as Natalie flees, with the paper in hand! Billy then swears revenge, "once and for all," on Natalie.

Mike, meanwhile, finds Kit's fiery personality very attractive. Kit, calling herself a "radical Florence Nightingale," warns Mike that unless things improve at Hope, a nurses' strike could result. Mike had no idea things were so bad for the nurses, being preoccupied with yet another case of the "mystery bug." Stan, an orderly, complained of dizziness, then collapsed. "We might have an epidemic on our hands!" Mike fears.

Adrienne is ecstatic. A "special" friend, Jean-Marc will come soon. Philip is intrigued when she admits that her life wouldn't be the same without him. "What is he," Philip asks, "a modern day Merlin?" Adrienne says only that Jean-Marc has "found a way to 'enhance' his clients' metabolisms."

Losing the "option" paper to Natalie, Billy fears what'll happen when Philip finds out, since he plans to "get The Medicine Man." Philip thinks his scheme will be "like taking candy from a baby" since he "holds the 'options.'"

At Hope, Althea agrees to keep the secret of Matt's illness if he goes to Boston and gets the bone marrow transplant. Matt reluctantly agrees, leaving Althea as acting chief of staff.

Meanwhile, another fever victim is admitted. "Who is it?" Mike asks. A scared Carolee replies, "Mrs. Sturgess, Mona's housekeeper!" On the heels of this, an earlier fever victim lapses into a coma seconds before Luke rushes into the hospital carrying Natalie, unconscious and feverish!

Where Is Matt?

Maggie learns that Matt has simply vanished from Hope, and confronts Althea. "There's something I'm not being told," she says. "What is this new thing between you and Matt?" Althea responds angrily, "Nothing! I'm telling you Matt left town on a life and death matter." Before Maggie can pursue it, Mike rushes in. "One of the fever victims, Mrs. DeMarco, is dead!" he exclaims. Maggie begins researching treatment for what seems to be a growing epidemic.

Jean-Marc arrives and Adrienne tells him she's falling in love, with a young man. Jean-Marc is shocked. How is that possible? "This could be very treacherous to you, and very dangerous," he warns. But Adrienne is determined to have Jeff, and promises to make it worth Jean-Marc's while to help her.

Mona, critically ill, feels double-crossed and tells a shocked Billy he is a scoundrel, a thief and a liar, then drops the bombshell: "I've had it with you, Billy, I'm disinheriting you!"

Hoping to save his life, Matt is getting a bone marrow transplant to combat aplastic anemia. Events at Hope, meanwhile, veer out of control.

Mike learns that two of the fever victims are from Pride's Corner, a shabby part of Madison. A connection, perhaps? Later, Danny rushes to tell Mike to "come quick, it's Stan!" - an orderly in contact with other fever victims. "What's wrong?" Mike asks. "He's dead!" Danny answers tearfully.

A bedridden Natalie tells Billy, "You'll be singing soprano" when Philip finds out that she has the "option" paper. Later, Natalie hands Philip the paper, in ashes! Philip is livid. "How did you get that?" he asks. "From Billy," says Natalie. "He's stuck it to you, right in the back!"

Angry staffers demand Althea, who is chief of staff in Matt's absence, act now about the rash of mystery deaths. Before she answers, Kit rushes in and informs everyone that Mona's maid, Ruth Sturgess, just died! Mike is livid. "This is a state of emergency now!" he yells at Althea. What the hell is she going to do about it?

Philip berates Billy about the loss of the "option" paper. He's through with Billy completely, and he intends to make him pay for what he's done. "Poke your nose in where it doesn't belong," says Philip, "and I'll see to it you won't be there to blow out the candles on your next birthday cake."

Luke asks Mike if Natalie has the plague, Mike doesn't know yet. Luke goes to see Natalie, but not before Billy does, threatening to kill her for ruining things with Philip. Billy leaves before Luke comes, and Natalie, upset, can't breathe. As Luke holds her, she goes limp. "Natalie!" Luke begs, "you can't leave me! You can't die!"

Much to Luke's relief, Natalie doesn't have the mysterious disease, but a stomach disorder.

Meanwhile, word spreads that a nurse has died with the fever. Lt. Reed questions Steve about Mona, who is unconscious. Steve complains of being hot and tired. Carolee finds Steve is burning up with fever. "Oh no!" she screams, "you've caught the disease!" Althea and Maggie learn he has it. They are horrified, as Althea realizes it's an epidemic! She's got to order a quarantine!

Frankie, one of the grave robbers, plans to get his sick partner, Dennis, out of Madison before they are caught. Dennis is too sick to leave and tells Frankie to save himself, then dies, another victim of the mysterious fever!

Comforted by Carolee, Steve, now a patient, fears time is running out for the Aldrich family, with Mona, himself, and now Billy, sick with the fever.

Jean-March, meanwhile, darkly assents his domination over Adrienne, saying, "I neither love nor hate you. You are a specimen, and I could make 'it' happen anytime I choose, merely by withholding the serum."

• Members

Is that Oh Lord in a good or bad way :lol: Did you say you were watching at this time?

I have one from mid or late October if I can find it but I don't think I have the next one.

Was Mona's maid a character viewers knew or was she one of those servants who only appeared when it was time to die?

• Members

I was (watching at that time). Fortunately, my memories of THE DOCTORS aren't as...plentiful as those of other soaps, since my mom tended to follow RYAN'S HOPE more. Even so, I'm pretty good at determining how good or bad a particular story was or is by reading synopses, and that one...? Oh, Lord, lol. (Yeah, it's bad.)

• Members

A summary of SOD synopsis July 20th 1982 issue

Nola calls off her wedding to Billy because he tried to sell her shares in The Medicine Man.Billy pleads, but Nola says from now on Phillip will manage her finances.

Katy asks Billy to withdraw $50,000 and meet him in half an hour.Phillip authorizes the withdrawal and Billy says he misunderstood Nola's desire to sell the stock. Phillip OK's time off.

Billy hands over the money and spots LeeAnn with Katy in the limo but she speeds off before he can stop her.

Greta is hysterical that LeeAnn is missing and Theo is sure Katy has her,but Greta isn't convinced by Billy's story that Katy has taken their daughter.

Lee Ann's disappearance is publicized and Theo records a plea.He and Mike go through Katy's things for a clue.

Mona overhears Althea tell Jeff that as she can't give him a child,it's over.She tells Phillip and he is more determined than ever that his son won't marry a woman who cannot carry on the family name.

Jeff is insistent that they should be together,but Althea will not be swayed.

At Philip's party,Carolee is annoyed by Adrienne flirting with Steve.Adrienne says she admires career women like Carolee and Althea, but personally if she had a child she would devote herself to being a mother.Jeff says family isn't that important to him.

The next day Adrienne is at Hope for tests before surgery. She seeks assurances from Mike and Jeff but they can only say that her chances are good.

Katy is in Newport with her friend from hospital.Hermoine,a sculptress who buries herself in work.Katy claims LeeAnn is a friend's child and that they are heading for Europe.

Hermoine ignores radio pleas about LeeAnn.Katy takes Lee Ann out dressed as aboy.A policeman stops them,but they manage to avoid detection. Katy tells Lee Ann they're playing a game and that Greta is too busy to take care of her right now.

Katy realizes she needs Greta's passport to get LeeAnn out of the country.,so she tells Hermoine she has to return to Madison on business.Mike contacts Hermoine who says she hasn't heard from Katy.

Mike.Theo and Greta are frustrated by their inability to track down Katy.At least without the passport,Katy can't take LeeAnn out of the country.

Katy turns off the radio when she hears Theo's pleas.Disguised as a man she slips into Greta's house to get the passport but is disturbed by Mike who has come by to get recent photos of LeeAnn.Katy takes off but her cap falls off.Theo recognizes the label from a Newport store and concludes she's with Hermoine.He asks Mike not to tell the police as it might cause Katy to panic.

Theo travels to Newport and learns the cap was purchased by a woman with a little boy.Theo goes to see Hermoine and remembers her from 5 years ago when she was hospitalized with Katy. Hermoine again states she hasn't seen Katy.Theo explains the situation. and says Katy needs help.

Katy learns Theo is in town and Mike called and realizes they're closing in. She changes photos on the passport and makes arrangements to head for Boston airport.

Theo returns and threatens Hermoine,who convinces Katy to talk to her brother. Katy denies having LeeAnn.

Theo arrives with police and a search warrant and Katy and LeeAnn hide out in an old gardener's cottage on the estate.

Giving in to LeeAnn's pleas to talk to Greta,Katy makes sure she calls when Greta would be at work. Maggie takes the call,but Katy hangs up.Matt calls the policeLater,.Katy leaves Lee Ann alone in the cottage while she searches for a public phone to make other arrangements to get to the airport.

Mike questions Billy as to where he went on his break but Billy is emphatic it had nothing to so with LeeAnn.Mike isn't convinced and tells Philip that he thinks Billy is conspiring with Katy.

As Mike prepares for Adrienne's operation.Theo calls from Newport asking for help.Mike cannot leave town at this time.

Philip tells Althea he's aware she can't have children and she tells him Jeff knows this also.She will not marry Jeff but will continue as they are.Jeff,says Althea, sees through Philip's plan to match him with Adrienne.Philip suggests Althea alienate Jeff by making him angry enough to break up.

Mona is disappointed she had to hear about LeeAnn from Philip ,but is comforted by the new that Billy and Nola are not getting married.

Danny urges Maggie to talk to Ivie before she checks out.Ivie states that doctors and medicine can't help her recover from the loss of her 6 year old daughter,Elvira, years ago. Maggie shares her worry about LeeAnn and advises Ivie to grieve and cry. Ivie returns to work at The Medicine Man,not ready for medical help,but surprised by the kindness of so many people.

Nola offers to throw Luke and Natalie a big party to announce their marriage.Nola believes its time to look forward even though she is saddened that her baby will be born without a father.She wants to keep her breakup with Billy a secret for now.

• Members

James Douglas,previously Grant on ATWT,Eliot on AW and Steven on PP played Philip. He replaced an actor named Alvin Epstein and I can only assume that Mr Epstein was a less attractive actor than Douglas.

I think Billy was pretty much a bad guy from when Alec Baldwin assumed the role. Billy came back with Natalie to get their hands on Greta's inheritance from her Aunt Theodora.

• Members

Thanks. It's interesting to learn that James Douglas played such a nefarious role, since James and Eliot were straight arrow.

So how long were Natalie and Alec's Billy around? I guess Luke and Natalie didn't end up together since the show at the end hinted he'd be with Ivie.

It turns out I have the next one of the Sept/Oct 82 so if you don't have it I'll type it up.

• Members

Alec arrived as Billy in August 1980, just as the Hope Memorial hostage story was winding down. Billy was killed off in October 1982. Natalie arrived after Billy, in November 1980. Luke and Natalie had ended their relationship before Ivy fell for him. Natalie had left Luke and moved in with Lt. Paul Reed, who was revealed in the final episode to be one of Billy's shooters. I was left with the impression that Natalie would not squeal on Paul.

Seeds of Billy's heelish behavior were sown before Shawn Campbell left the role. Billy slept with Greta and impregnated her. Greta fantasized that she and Billy would marry and live happily ever after, but Billy was not prepared for the responsibility of marriage and fatherhood. Primarily he wanted sex. He and Greta did move in together after Lee Ann's birth, but Billy started getting wasted all the time and would not help Greta with the childcare. They fought constantly, and Billy was tempted by Kim Langsworth, the rich, unwed mother Greta met when she went away to have her own baby. Billy got high and crashed his car in May 1979. He was comatose and later needed a brain operation to recover. While he was hospitalized, Greta became intrigued with Dr. John Bennett. A jealous Billy later declared that he wanted to reunite with Greta and make amends to his baby daughter. He asked Greta to marry him, but she was skeptical that he had really changed. When she refused Billy's proposal, he skipped town. This was in August 1979.

Billy returned a year later, played by Alec Baldwin. Initially, Billy seemed contrite about his behavior. Greta (played by Gracie Harrison, who succeeded long running Jennifer Houlton) was seeing Brad Huntington at the time and was considering marriage. Billy told Greta how much he loved her and Lee Ann and wanted to be a family. Greta felt her dream was finally coming true, and she went to bed with Billy. It was after this that Billy started receiving mysterious phone calls. The caller was revealed to be Natalie, with whom Billy had been having an affair while he was away. It was very quickly established that Billy and Natalie had schemed to get their hands on Lee Ann's fortune, which had been left to her by Theodora Van Allen. As part of the plan, Billy had to reunite with Greta and gain custody of Lee Ann, but he cheated with Natalie the whole time. So basically, Alec's Billy was rotten from the beginning. I remember one scene, probably written during the Harding Lemay period, in which an exasperated Carolee screamed at Billy that sadly he was more like his evil father Dan Allison than Steve Aldrich. Nice nod to the past.

Edited by saynotoursoap