EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Heather's probably still around because she's Shirley's only real friend. As long as they keep her as a secondary supporting character, she can be tolerable.

Some are saying that an American boyfriend may follow Lauren back to Walford for a bit...

Also, I hear Melissa's last episode as Lucy is this Friday (or next Friday if I mis-read it), and her last scenes are with Peter.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, it was the lack of character connections which did Minty in more than anything else. I think Heather could also go but I did like her scene with Abi a few days ago. I think they just need to grow her up a bit. I don't think anything could be done with Minty.

I actually think that they could have done something with Garry if they'd tried -- he was a good character in his first 3-4 years. He'd probably still be on the show if not for Kara Tointon being fired. I guess if it got worthless Dawn off the show for good then it was worth it.

I'm surprised they don't have Melissa there for the reveal of Lucy's abortion but I guess they were in a hurry.

• Members

I thought that Gary was decent enough when he was with Lynn, but he should have gone when their relationship was over.

I didn't realize that Kara Tointon was fired. EE seemed enthralled by her, seeing her as the hottest woman to walk the planet.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

They did seem enthralled by her, and bizarrely enough said she was the new Pauline Fowler (sorry but Pauline didn't dump her children off on anyone and everyone). The rumor was that she was fired because on what was rumored to be her official Facebook or Myspace or whatever, she spoiled Danielle's death months before the storyline aired.

• Members

She was also another one who had an awful voice and I think she kept trying to put on a fake accent.

The character was just nasty and unpleasant. I will never forget her having a meltdown because her latest meal ticket Jase spent money to replace his son Jay's rotting trainers.

• Members

She was hardly active on the show during her last year or so. I think they just naturally ran out of ideas for her.

Because I mentioned it earlier, the special version of Julia's Theme used for Kathy in her 1998 exit:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6mDJ9f31us?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6mDJ9f31us?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6mDJ9f31us?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

It occurred to me that Shirley has been sidelined exactly because Heather is her only real friend. This may be one reason that Shirley has not been well used by the writers. She has not been integrated into friendships with the other important women characters like Jane, Zainab, Tanya, Denise, etc. She should be spending time with these women, not babysitting Heather.

• Members

I think Phil and the show's need to have her obsess over Phil (while also letting us see that Phil would never truly care for Shirley beyond just using her) was the real damage done to Shirley, although the endless Shirley/Heather "comedy" scenes in 2008 also got on my nerves. GEORGE MICHAEL...HEATHER EATS...HA HA HA.