EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some scenes of Whitney's upcoming story, with some scare quotes from publicity seeker Ann Widdecombe and one of EE's worst villains.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1351901/First-look-EastEnders-Whitney-Dean-takes-streets-teenage-prostitute-soaps-controversial-new-storyline.html#ixzz1CXeA6cZE

I'm glad Janine's role in this isn't as ugly as I first thought.

• Members

I loved Janine's prostitution storyline from the early 00's. It was so realistic and made so much sense. She was such a lost and abandoned child and such a big outcast and pariah in Walford society. Frank had left her, Peggy kicked her out of the Vic, and Pat was interested but too consumed in her own problems with Roy. There was literally no one on her side.

I remember a very sad scene from that storyline where one of Janine's former clients saw her on the street and opened his car door and tried to pull her inside his car almost raped her, but Zoe was walking by recognized Janine and he stopped before he got too far.

They've done a good job of building up to this story with Whitney. With Bianca gone, she feels isolated from the rest of the family, and given her past history with sexual abuse, I can see why she might consider herself useless already.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

The last few episodes have gone by just a little bit too quickly for me. In particular, the stuff with Darren and the Phil/Ian drama. IDK, I just feel like they could have done more with the Phil/Ian situation. Beginning of Thursday's episode, everything was normal, by the end of Friday's episode, Phil had had a massive heart attack, Ian stung him along for what had to have been at least an hour, Phil recovered and then asked Shirley to marry him. I know EE usually does a day per episode, but still, it seemed very fast.

And the Darren stuff. Sheesh! He wasted no time getting pissed about Jack becoming a partner, and the whole thing really just made both he and Max look bad, especially yesterday. They were both way over-the-top. And I don't even know what Jodie's point is anymore. I found it hard to believe she would be okay with being used a sex object to sell cars.

The Whitney stuff is good, though. I've been liking her for the first time, and I hope Janine stay clean throughout the whole thing, just so Ryan can shut his trap.

Boo hoo, no one gives a f!ck about your problems, Syed and Christian. Christian is ridiculous. They've been together for less than a year, but he demands they have a child? That's way too fast for any couple! But I guess they're on "gay time" just like Luke and Noah were. Anything that happens in real life over the course of several years is demanded by the fans to take place inside one year. Ridiculous. And Roxy is an idiot. I don't quite understand WTF is going through Syed's mind either. If he was against having a child because it's too early for that, then fine. But he's against it because of his religion? So he's okay with the gay thing, but he think he and Christian are unfit to raise a kid together. They are, but come on!

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I just flat out loved that last scene with Kat and Alfie. Finally, after years and years of stagnation and stageiness and way too much mythologizing, the Vic has a live wire again. I was so hooked when Alfie yelled "SO DID I!" and at Kat's gasp of pain when Alfie blamed her for the baby's death. I watched that scene three or four times.

I don't think the people at EE now "get" Kat, which is sad, because she's very special, but they do seem to know how to write very well for Alfie, and along with Max, he is probably the most complicated and interesting male character on the show at the moment.

No matter how flawed some moments are I am still more drawn into the current Eastenders than I have been in a long time because it has that jagged edge again, the lack of self-reverence which acts as some sort of veneer, and while this can sometimes be awful, sometimes it can be absolutely brilliant. That last scene reminded me so much of Julia Smith's Eastenders -- I can see Angie downing her drink and laughing/jeering/crying right along with Kat and Alfie.