Background Music

• Members

I saw a clip from B&B from the early 90s, maybe even the late 80s. And I heard some background music that they're still using now. (One of the more promently featured sounds) Do most soaps keep that kind of stuff around forever? Never really thought about that kind of detail until I heard it from such an old episode.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the grand old days of daytime drama, a soap's background music was a very important aspect of the production...certain shows were famous for their own distinct sounds, most notably Y&R and THE EDGE OF NIGHT. The sounds of each show were unique, and yes the cues stayed with a program for many many years. In fact, some of Y&R's more legendary cues are still used somewhat...that is whenever the show isn't blaring forgettable rock tunes and cheap pron-sounding music. B)

• Members

Here's an opinion which is bound to stir up a little controversy, lol. I actually would like to see a soap opera use no background music. None. I'm not talking about eliminating just the "stings" at the end of scenes, or the generic college-rock that tends to play under them. I am talking about no background music at all. Unless the scene occurs at a restaurant, or a mall, or any public place where it would make sense IRL to have music playing overhead (I think they call it "incidental music"?), you don't hear any music. And when the scene is over? You just...fade to commercial.

• Members
Khan sometimes no music works out really well (Maureen's death aftermath), but only when it's done in moderation. I like having Y&R's once classical orchestra playing over an intense Victor/Jack encounter, or the fun "Twin Peak-esque" music that used to play during the Phyllis/Drucilla barbs. Personally, the music adds more than it takes away when used correctly.

• Members

That's exactly how its done in a lot of international soaps.

However, I think background music and certain musical cues have worked their way into the fabric of American soap operas. It just wouldn't feel right to me to not have them there, you know? The organ was initially part of what made the American soap opera, a soap opera. Of course organ music is no longer used, but my dynamic orchestral arrangements have become apart of soaps since the late 60's or so.

• Members

Eh, I don't think I'd like that very much. It wouldn't change my opinion of a particular show or storyline much at all, but that silence would still feel like an itch that just needs to be scratched. They could definitely tone it down and use background music a little less (sometimes DAYS feels like a music video to me...just constant underscores throughout the entire show). There are many classic scenes that I've seen clips of from the glory days where I couldn't imagine having an underscore in it (Karen Wolek, for one), but there are also classic scenes that I can't imagine without underscores (anything on "Dark Shadows," basically).

But anyway, it's a good question. I remember listening to ATWT background music from the 1970s on WoST once and really liking one of them that was simply titled "Lisa." I saw an early 60s episode and lo and behold, there was "Lisa" playing during a Lisa/Bob scene. The one on WoST was an orchestral version with drums and even guitar, but the one from the episode I saw was pure organ cheesiness. So, I guess certain things like that, where the characters have their own identifiable theme, last for a long, long time.

• Members

I always think of the Buffy episode "The Body" (when her mother died) Joss made a point of not using ANY music in it.

I believe it was TOTALLY effective in that episode. But only for that show. I'm not sure if it would have worked for a whole season.

• Members

I'm not sure if anyone else was reading the "British Soap Award" thread. Toups mentioned that the 2007 EastEnders Christmas episode (which is posted in that thread) was emotionally heavy, but no background music was used, but it was extremely compelling and effective for him to watch nonetheless.

However, I tend to approach British and American soaps separately as a viewer, but that's a whole other topic.

• Members

Khan, did you ever view WORLD TURNS under Marland at his height? I LOVED how there was very little background music, especially as the drama reached a quiet crescendo coming up on a commercial break or the end of the show...it was breathtaking to see the characters pause and then the slow silent fadeout!

Compare that with WORLD TURNS under Goutman...simply too much over-the-top melodramatic music that overtakes the drama IMO!

• Members

Some scores exist since 1987 but in general most B&B scores are in use since the mid-90s the latest.

I guess it's due to Michael Amorosi who has been music coordinator since the series premiere, hence chooses the music... I like this consistency a lot because you sometimes associate a certain music with a certain couple or past event.

B&B and Y&R use(d) to a have very dinstinct music selection - especially for their soap-goodiness cliffhangers.

• Members

Yes and one reason it as so effective as wqe were used ot havign full scores everywhere else. If the show had always been silent--it wouldn;t have been (I know this is obvious but...)

UK soaps are always done as more "real" less fantasyt-no music works there. I don't think it would at lal on current US soaps.

AMC recently used a cue I heard in an episode from 1983 I have on tape. That said they recently replaced a lot of their cues, so...

• Members

UK soaps use, virtually, no background or incidental music. It's weird, British soaps make it work. It doesn't seem out of place. And when they do have music, it's usually because a scene is in a restaurant or party or church (or in the case of Tom King's memorable murder a group of Christmas carolers)

US soaps would seem weird without the music. Especially Y&R and B&B which, when true to their musical roots, have the best, most original, over the top drama scores out there. And what's great about Y&R's scores is that so many of them are really old. There is one used in Kay/Jill scenes from waaaaaaaaay back that's just damn good.

The ABC soaps have really overhauled their music. DAYS's music changes but yet remains the same (because Ken Corday arranges a lot of it!) while the P&G shows have horrible music (especially GL with all that pop rock/folk bullsh*t)

Speaking of. A notice to all music supervisors at soaps across the board. Moronic, bullsh*tty pop rock nonsense is just that. Nobody likes it. It isn't hip, it isn't cool, it isn't edgy. It's crap. Lazy, boring, crap.

And finally, does anyone think "Melrose Place" would have been even half as much fun without all those wild guitar riffs at key moments. Damn I loved that show!!!

• Members

LOL! Nothing screams MP to me more than those bumpers they added later on for when they went to commercial. It's be a black and white clip of the scene that just aired, but it's in slow motion with that quintessential MP guitar sound.

Another great moment that I can't imagine without background music. It's primetime and completely different, but if there was no music when JR got shot on "Dallas," that cliffhanger would have been much, much less intense. That music just heightened the "WTF JUST HAPPENED?!" of it all.

Archived