AMC: TV Guide Canada Interview with Cam Mathison

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*sigh* Just to see a relatively younger performer in the genre say something like that really, really makes me feel good. He's not going to kid himself. He doesn't have aspirations to be an Oscar-winning actor, writer, director, blah, blah. He's doing daytime, he loves doing daytime, and he's going to continue doing daytime. I wish we had people who were as devoted as he.

• Members

Well to be fair he DID try to do his thing outside daytime, the pilots, etc, it didn't work and I guess he decided that was that--with most young soap actors--now and as far back as at least the 70s--it's not a new thing--the same thing has been true. They get starte don a soap, after a while break away to try to break out, more often than not don't and they're back on soaps--think Michael E Knight, etc, etc

• Members

Adding my opinion to the Young Debate that kind of hijacked this thread, I think he's overrated. He went to the Tony Geary school of "SCREAMING TO SHOW EMOTION EQUALS EMMY CALIBER ACTING!" which is co-taught by Maurice Benard. I can take him or leave him. Even as Lucky on GH, Jacob always seemed to have a red hot poker stuck up his ass.

As for Cameron, I'm not impressed. He had every bit of potential of being the next "Tad the Cad" when he first came on as the scheming con man who was trying to woo Gillian Andrassy. But then, somehow, he became the hero and given all of these weighty dramatic scenes and storylines and... I was bored. He's not as versatile as he wants to believe. I think hosting IS where his bread and butter can be found, because it's more about personality and shine rather than emotions and believablity.

• Members

IA. Ever since his first day at AMC, I've always gotten this angry vibe from JR. I don't think I've ever seen Young's JR happy, ever. If he is, it's because he's pulling [!@#$%^&*] on somebody else. Whether its the writing or his acting choices, the character just comes off as asshat material all the time.

*longs for the days when Jesse McCartney played teenage JR*

• Members

I flove how you quote other posters, All My Shadows. (As you can see below, lol.) It's so awesome-looking to me! Hope you don't mind that I've...appropriated it (he asks sheepishly)?

Okay, topic.

I hear what you're saying - and if he were a better actor, I'd agree with you, too. However, I think CM is exactly the kind of actor I wish soaps would rid themselves of once and for all. In the past, AMC has handed him both dramatic and comic material to play, and (IMO) CM has bombed at both. Try as he might, the guy just. can't. act.

Heckuva guy, though, probably; and definitely cut out for hosting gigs and the like.

Archived