AMC: TV Guide Canada Interview with Cam Mathison

• Members

Soap Idol

By Nelson Branco

2008-06-18

Is Cameron Mathison trying to dethrone Ryan Seacrest as the busiest man in show business? Are his soap days over? Plus: Emmy preview!

Who does All My Children’s Cameron Mathison (Ryan) think he is — Ryan Seacrest? After sneaking a peek into Mathison’s day planner, it would sure appear that way! Heck, the earnest Canadian actor/host is even giving Susan Lucci (Erica) a run for her money as soaps’ most recognizable and versatile star.

Along with co-hosting the June 20th Daytime Emmy Awards telecast — airing live this week on ABC and E! Canada (8 p.m. ET) — Mathison’s also busy fronting TLC’s Your Place or Mine?, and accumulating frequent flier miles traversing all across our gorgeous country in a new Canadian co-production, E! Canada/Style Network’s Instant Beauty Pageant. That sound you hear is Donald Trump sweating in his boxers…

And if that’s not enough to justify calling in sick a day or two, the Sarnia, Ont., native is still eliminating daytime wannabes on SOAPnet’s I Wanna Be a Soap Star, along with sweating through contrived and non-sensical scripts as the amnesiac rogue, Ryan Lavery. Whew — take a breath here, folks.

Below, Mathison and I dished about his future on AMC, what fans can expect when he co-hosts the Daytime Emmys, and why he feels Ryan Lavery is at his most critical crossroad ever.

TVG: Why are you talking to me? Shouldn’t you be sleeping? [Laughs]

Cameron Mathison: [Laughs] That’s what I should be doing, Nelson! Unfortunately, I have to wait until July to take a nap!

TVG: Are you busier now or when you were competing on Dancing With the Stars and filming All My Children on two separate coasts?

CM: Nothing can compare to being on Dancing With the Stars — that blows everything I’m doing now out of the water.

TVG: How’s your family dealing with your insane workload? Does your wife remember what you look like?

CM:I hear she’s doing well — and if you talk to my wife, Nelson, please send her my best!

[Laughs] My family still sees me; I haven’t sacrificed that part of my life and never will. Am I golfing, or working out as much? No. I’ve only given up my personal time.

TVG: John-Paul Lavoisier [Rex, One Life to Live] will be happy to hear that since he’s in awe of your workout discipline. Your career in reality TV is really taking off; any plans to pull a Kelly Ripa [ex-Hayley] and leave Pine Valley all together?

CM: I have no intention of leaving soaps. None — I could never give up acting. Having said that, I love hosting, so in the future I’d like to have a balance. Yes, I want it all… but I’d like to narrow it all down…

TVG: When do you find time to split the atom?

CM: I work on that when I’m flying across North America!

TVG: You’re hosting the Emmys with Sherri Shepherd this Friday. What can we expect? I’d kill for you to pull a Billy Crystal or Conan O’Brien and spoof the genre.

CM: Lots of comedy… [and that’s all I’ll say]. You can’t co-host with Sherri and not be funny. The Emmys are pulling a Golden Globes with dinner tables and lots of booze! It’ll add a lot of spontaneity, a lot of humour and fun to the event.

TVG: Will it be awkward to host the ABC telecast when your network only received two major acting nominations?

CM: I have a feeling that had something to do with us cutting the show down to two hours from three, but I am so busy right now that I can’t focus on all the politics this year. I’m living in the moment presently because that’s the only way I can survive this next month.

TVG: Let’s talk about AMC for a moment. Ryan’s amnesia is thisclose to earning 2008’s Most Contrived and Non-Sensical Plot Twist. Thoughts?

CM: Thanks for being so blunt about that! [Laughs] Truthfully, the storyline was a big miss, which is disappointing because it had potential. Barbara Esensten and James Harmon Brown [AMC’s exiting head writers] did the best they could, but I’m excited about the show’s new direction. For Ryan Lavery, this is the most vital period in his life because if the writers can’t find a way to rebound from this [maligned] storyline, then I’ll be seriously worried.

TVG: Hopefully, AMC’s new head writer Charles Pratt Jr. will write you a serious storyline. I’m so sick of AMC plotting such ridiculous stories for Ryan; you’re much better than that.

CM: Thanks… that means a lot. I don’t think I’ve been utilized to the fullest of my potential, for sure. Having said that, I’m excited about Chuck’s [appointment], and I’m both curious and anxious about what he has planned for all of us.

TVG: Ditto.

tvguide.ca

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mathison is excellent as a supporting player and also has chemistry with most of his colleagues. He is superior in romantic storylines. However he is weak in dramatic and comedic scenes. Is he great? Should he be on as much as he is? Is he a powerhouse? probably a big no all around but to be honest looking past the Canary's, Knight's, Willy's, Williams, and all of the other male vets on AMC who else is in his age bracket that is superior to him? Kaye is tired and hasn't put forth notable good work since Ethan died, Young is all but washed up, Egglesfield hasn't had the oppourtunity in over a year. Goldin might be the only notable alternative and he isn't believable as a Martin anyway. AMC lacks a great deal in the talent department and Mathison might not be the greatest actor but there seldom are on AMC anyway.

There are only a handful of actors/actresses on the show who are even half way worth their weight of talent on the show now. Mathison might not be top-notch but he is able to sell his dialouge alot better then atleast half the cast on the show.

• Members

I seriously can't remember the last good performance he delivered. I think it might have been back when he thought Babe died back in March of 07 or so. He isn't even trying anymore but neither is most of the cast. To be honest Miller eats him alive in most of their scenes and even last week he would have you questioning who the emmy winner was in those scenes.

• Members

Really? We must be seeing different scenes because Miller relies on grimiacing & grinding his teeth in every scene which I don't consider as "acting". I think Jacob Young is a much better actor, & I think his heartfelt scenes with Adam talking about losing Tad should be in his Emmy reel.

• Members

Compared to his scenes about Babe and Dixie's deaths last year that's basically child's play. Miller has much more energy and is far better in terms of comedic style and wit. Both know how to work their emotional silences but Miller is much edgier and also gives more meat to his portrayal. You just know and feel that Ritchie is unstable and that he is dangerous even behind his humor and his smirk. Miller has this ability to be both funny and menacing at the same time. I actually feel his excels as a comedian and reminds me of a young MEK. Overall Miller just gives more quality and polished performance as of late. He is easily one of the better actors on this show especially since AMC has such low morale acting wise. Young's best years were in mid 04-mid 06. He hasn't done anything to match that in years.

• Members

Skin, at least you admit Jacob has done great work over the years! Jacob Young has brought lost of depth into his his performances. I think even this year, despite the bad wirting, Jacob delivered good performances like JR delirious in the hospital, JR talking to Adam in losing Tad, are just two scenes that stand out for me. :)

• Members

I think Young has definetly peaked as far as acting quality goes. He either can't do any better or he has lost the hunger or the effort to really bring in quality and consistent performances. I will be the first to admit that I absolutely hate the character he portrays but Jacob does portray him with integrity. I just haven't been impressed with him since after the storyline with the Babe/Dixie death. He has put forth good work. His nomination in 04 for his work cements that. However he is no longer a front-runner for male talent as he was in previous years. As far as acting quality goes I would put him on the same level as Jeff Branson who portrayed the delusional homicidal Jonathan Lavery.

Archived