Y&R: Week of June 9, 2008

• Members

The writers should know that happiness is antithetical to any remotely interesting soap. And they should be good enough to balance their vision with that of their fans.

And who the heck actually cares that Jana and Kevin stay together? That screams writers' fault all over it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only couple I'd REALLY love to see together are Nikki and Victor. And then let them stay together forever. Why are they the only ex-couple that fights these days? Everyone else is blah. Forever happy - I don't think so.

• Members

I loved Gloria's initial scenes at Lauren's tacky-ass "boutique" and actually felt sorry for her. But then Jill and Jeffrey showed up to harass her. Then I realized -- this is Operation Prop Gloria #5,458,379.

Don't TPTB realise? The only way to redeem this character is to 1. stop featuring her every day and 2. have her own up about the f*cking face cream. I know I'm in a minority of one, Judith Chapman IMO gives 110% to this character. But they are pulling a Claudia Zacchara on us by featuring her so often and it is getting on my tits. This week alone, we've had Repentent Gloria, Sad Gloria, Drunk Gloria, Nekkid Gloria :blink: Working Girl Gloria, As-God-is-my-Witness-I-will-Survive Gloria and About-to-be Fired Gloria. And it's only been FOUR episodes so far.

I did like the Kay/Jill scene that followed, though. I know everybody hates Jill & Kay when they are acting like mother/daughter, but the way Kay was holding Jill and whispering to her some home truths... I don't know, I found it pretty moving.

CRINGED my way through the Katy Perry stuff. OMG, Jack is like my dad trying to be all hip. "Hey! That Amy Winehouse person has a couple of neat songs!" And I was LMAO as Y&R tiptoed around the word "lesbian." That Katy Perry sure can be controversial, huh.

The fashion shoot made B&B's fashion shoots look like French Vogue. "Genius" Sharon offers to cut up an ballgown and leave it all deconstructed? Bwahaha! That's what we in the trade call "customizing." And by "in the trade," I mean anybody who has ever walked through a mall.

Adam and Sabrina are so going to pity-f*ck.

• Members

Overall Friday was a good episode... it seems like only special events bring some drama to the show...

Even though I like the fact that the writers are trying to give Michael a story, I ain't that invested in the Lowell stuff. If he'd be younger or something it'd be much more interesting, but it just isn't... Meanwhile, Nikki and David had a perfect lunch with the perfect Phyllis, Nick, J.T., Victoria... At least we got a cliffhanger on a Friday... the possibility of Sabrina getting kicked out would be perfect... of course, I'll have to wait a long time for it...

A question... if Victoria and Nick spent most of their childhood in boarding school, how come they suddenly have memories of painting "Happy Father's Day" on Victor's car (which he then drove around for days)? The writers are too lazy.

• Members

Best part about Friday: A Victor/Hope-flashback. That was about it, ok episode but still rather dull.

As for the Glo-"pitification" project, Cat summed it up perfectly. First it was ok, you felt bad for her - but too much is too much. Too much airtime, too much silliness.

LOL at dmarex comment about Jill bringing sth. to the table in light of what we've seen this week. I'd say she brought lots of sassiness to the boardroom table... ;)

• Members

I don't think they forgot. A new spoiler says that Victor and Sabrina's marriage hits the skids as soon as it starts. Either Victor finds out what a lying whore she truly is, or something else happens. I think most likely, she's been lying to Victor and screwing someone else that we haven't seen...

As I said before, it's time for Sabrina to go psycho...

• Members

The problem with Sabrina is not the actress, because I find myself warming towards her. Nor is it the fact that she isn't a raging bitch. A basically decent character doesn't have to be blank or boring.

Like that final scene in Friday's episode. WTF was that? Sabrina spends FOREVER telling Victor that she's pregnant. Certainly the previous episode's trailer led us to believe that she "lied" to Victor. So TPTB are obviously playing on the audience's built-in mistrust of the character! Then we get the longest ever pause in history as Sabrina gauges his reaction, and Victor looks... somewhat happy? He's gonna be a papa again? I just did not know how to interpret that final shot.

The scene did not work because TPTB have no concept of who Sabrina is. When she came on, they set up this whole thing where Victoria was bonding, possibly for the first time, with a female peer. In Y&R terms, this is quite an interesting twist. Victoria, alone, angry and away from the Newmans, reached out and found somebody she could bond with. Who did not care who her parents where and what her job title was at NE.

Now, if Jack Smith or Alden or William J. Bell were around, they might have chosen to go the "flirtatious friendship" route. This created an interesting dynamic during B&B's early days, when Kristen and Margo became friends. Given that Kristen was very close to her father (unnaturally close, according to a jealous Stephanie), she and Victoria had some traits in common. Lauren Koslow especially played up the flirtation, like Margo wanted to "initiate" Kristen into a more intimate relationship. My question is: why didn't Josh Griffith or a director give instructions to Amelia Heinle or Raya Meddine to play this up? Although, to be fair, RM certainly has tried her best, with the tactile hugs and kisses, pregnant pauses and the need for Victoria's approval in her relationship with Victor. Making us wonder why would Sabrina try so hard? Unfortunately, it is AH who seems to be playing it blankly and without feeling.

OR they could have gone another route: Victoria is jealous because she is possessive of VICTOR.

OR they should have gone the Adam/Sabrina route much earlier on. Given that both characters appeared on screen within two weeks of the other, I immediately wondered if they were in cahoots to scam the Newmans. An elaborately laid plan to ingratiate their way into their lives. Or, at least have Adam suddenly face to face with a past lover (Sabrina) and have coincidence play out.

IMO, the whole thing highlights two problems. Establishing as Sabrina as a more-rounded, nuanced character with secrets, secret desires (either linked to Victoria OR Adam) and shading. And reinvigorating Victoria as a character with more dimension. The first, I lay the blame at the writers' door. The second (though it pains me to say it) at the actress's.

• Members

She's had that.

Not as much as with Sabrina but she's definitely had it.

Victoria has ALWAYS been lesbianesque but AH isn't playing the beats. At All.

That's how HT woulda played it.

The biggest problem with Sabrina is TPTB not having her interact with the rest of the cast.

She should've already had a TON of interaction with Nikki, Nick, Sharon, JT, Neil, Katherine, Jill, Paul, Noah, Abby, Jack, David, Ashley & Phyllis at the very least.

Up until very recently she's only interacted with Victor, Victor Jr. & Victoria when she should've had a LOT more interaction with Victoria especially post-Victor relationship reveal & the love/hate relationship she has with Victor Jr. should've been the dynamic she has with NICHOLAS.

Archived