Y&R: Week of June 9, 2008

• Members

We've been getting hints on a possible good umbrella storyline for months but nothing has happened yet. That could be the reason why I doubt they'll do anything this time around. Maybe when Hogan joins?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who wrote today's show? I thought it was very good in a soapy way. It had it's light moments with the Chancellor's, cute family moments with the Newman's, romance with Heather and Adam and suspense with Nikki and David. I will say I hope they don't SORAS Noah. Nick and Sharon don't need a teenage son and Hunter Allan was growing on me. When they write him like a 12 year old boy and not a 7 year old girl, he's very good in the role. I would've gone ahead and kept him for another few years and see how his talent develops.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 9 2008, 03:28 PM)
I will say I hope they don't SORAS Noah. Nick and Sharon don't need a teenage son and Hunter Allan was growing on me. When they write him like a 12 year old boy and not a 7 year old girl, he's very good in the role. I would've gone ahead and kept him for another few years and see how his talent develops.

I believe June 9 was his final airdate, but I don't know for sure.

• Members

How interesting! One of the pre-LML writers wrote this episode! This was pure soap and everything derived from the characters as opposed to the endless plot driven madness with all those pop culture references. I didn't feel like I was seeing an amateur script writer trying to impress me which happens often with LML's peeps. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her scripts (and others) from now on.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 9 2008, 04:41 PM)
How interesting! One of the pre-LML writers wrote this episode! This was pure soap and everything derived from the characters as opposed to the endless plot driven madness with all those pop culture references. I didn't feel like I was seeing an amateur script writer trying to impress me which happens often with LML's peeps. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her scripts (and others) from now on.

The script writer only adds the dialogue, I believe. James, one of Latham's cronies, was responsible for all the scenes and character interactions we got in this episode. The breakdown writers write the overall structure and outline for the episodes. That's proof that certain writers need good direction to write decently, though most of Latham's peeps need to be fired.

• Members

The dialogue is generally atrocious from most of these "writers" which is why I was most interested in who wrote the script. The breakdowns in general have improved, IMO, due to a mandate from MAB. No more three page scenes or a plot driven focus. With all her faults (having no stories) it does seem more character driven. There is also a more fluid tone with the show overall. I will give Stanley credit on a good breakdown. He did great work on Dragon Ball Z.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 9 2008, 04:28 PM)
Who wrote today's show? I thought it was very good in a soapy way. It had it's light moments with the Chancellor's, cute family moments with the Newman's, romance with Heather and Adam and suspense with Nikki and David. I will say I hope they don't SORAS Noah. Nick and Sharon don't need a teenage son and Hunter Allan was growing on me. When they write him like a 12 year old boy and not a 7 year old girl, he's very good in the role. I would've gone ahead and kept him for another few years and see how his talent develops.

I agree with everything here.

JILL IS BACK! Did you see her rip Gloria to shreds at the Chancellor doorway? And then put on her FULLEST haughty angry b*tch mode in the Jabot boardroom?

But here is what really took my breath away...and it had nothing to do with the writing :-).

Have you been noticing that they've been "Newmanifying" Jabot? This dates back to LML even, I think...big corridor, lots of motion. I like that.

But today, the Jabot conference room had a FOURTH wall. The usual three walls we saw were there: Doorway (I'll call it West), panelled back wall (North), and then a wall with windows/blinds (East). We've never seen South, because that is where the cameras are.

But today (in a rough edit...not so well done...because it is clear they had to set up the south-facing shot separately, like a feature film), the judge was then framed by another wall of blinds/windows, looking out onto a panoramic city (the same kind of bustling metropolis we see from Restless Style).

Now, a shot like that takes money and effort. I'm not complaining...I love it...but in this era, how does Y&R get the resources to build a fourth wall. AND WHY?? Is this solely to win a scenic/director's award, or what?

But hey--Kay and Jill had a fight today. And it was brilliantly scripted, right down to Jill knowing what Kay was going to say.

I'm not disputing the show has plotting problems. But the elements are just SO strong. Let me also join the Heather-Adam bandwagon. This could be an amazing couple if they let them be. (And I love Paul pining over Nikki).

• Members

Cane and Lily in a bubble bath? Alistair and Gloria skinny dipping? Who wants to see that? :( (Okay, the last one was funny---leaving tragic consequences for Sharon and Jack) But I hope Sharon and Jack will be able to persuade Alistair to leave Genoa City. It seems like the writers realized that Alistair wasn't productive, and that's why they decided to bring back John the ghost.

Gloria was featured in 7 episodes (out of 7) this month. That's just too much.

• Members

I actually think he's one of the most interesting on the canvas currently. Maybe it's because they don't know how to write each character in an interesting way, but he's one of the better ones these days.

Archived