MVP: New SOAPnet soap?

• Members

Im watching AMC on SN and I saw a promo for what looks like a new show called MVP debuting this week, I think. Anyone heard of this? Whats the deal? Is this some new original soap coming to the network? Anyone going to watch?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

haha, thanks. I dont even watch SN anymore but have to bc my AMC and OLTL didnt tape today.

So Frons is getting crappy Canadian shows to fill up the lineup? Why oh why when there is a plethora of great American stuff that has yet to air on the network

• Members

I actually think this is a smart move. It's a genuine soap to the core and that's the type of original programming they should be going for. Cheap, this was a successful show in Canada, but too expensive for them to produce a second season. If this is successful, SOAPnet would produce the next season and keep it on the air.

DaytimeFan said it was bad, but I'm hoping it can fill my Footballers Wives fix. I also love that SOAPnet is showing it with the Emmys. That's old school and gives me hope maybe CBS will air a Y&R special with next year's Emmys.

• Members

CHris B I apologize--I see that TVGuide Canada in their pimping of the show said this: "MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives, SOAPnet/CBC — Sneak peek!

— Want to learn why Canadians fell in love with MVP, the campy hockey soap? Head here to see what all the fuss is about. MVP premières on June 19. I urge everyone to check it out, or I’ll be seriously be disappointed! If the show’s a success, CBC and ABC will co-produce another season (while MVP was a hit in Canada, the show couldn’t afford its budget for a second season)."

The thing is from all I read, and the Globe and Mail covered CBC's decision to first try it on a different night and then to cancel it in much details, it just never got the numbers-- the ratings reported were DISMAL.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 27 2008, 06:04 PM)
I actually think this is a smart move. It's a genuine soap to the core and that's the type of original programming they should be going for. Cheap, this was a successful show in Canada, but too expensive for them to produce a second season. If this is successful, SOAPnet would produce the next season and keep it on the air.

DaytimeFan said it was bad, but I'm hoping it can fill my Footballers Wives fix. I also love that SOAPnet is showing it with the Emmys. That's old school and gives me hope maybe CBS will air a Y&R special with next year's Emmys.

Oh Chris B, I'm sorry to disappoint you....but MVP is basically the anti Footballers Wives. It's not campy, fun, wicked, melodramatic. Nothing. It's boring and slow and, essentially, utter crap. It COULD have been something, but the writers obviously thought Canadians wanted boring schlock instead of campy fun.

And it failed because it got HORRIBLE ratings, even by CBC standards.

• Members

I remember watching it once for like 5 minutes, then doing something else. Not a great show. It didn't pull me in anyway.

Does SN even still air classic Ryan's Hope or even Port Charles repeats anymore? There was a time where I wish I could get Soapnet in Canada, now not so much..... :huh:

• Members

Why the Hell don't they have even ONE show that focuses on classic soap episodes? even maybe once a week ONE random classic soap? it wouldn't be hard to do... Full us a bone! The marathons sometimes cover old soaps (though things like Sonny Fest don't) but that's IT. It's really shocking to wastte the resources they have

Why the Hell don't they have even ONE show that focuses on classic soap episodes? even maybe once a week ONE random classic soap? it wouldn't be hard to do... Full us a bone! The marathons sometimes cover old soaps (though things like Sonny Fest don't) but that's IT. It's really shocking to wastte the resources they have

Archived