Best Comedic Actor/Actress?

JackPeyton

• Members

Last night on In The Zone we were discussing the idea of the Emmy's adding a new category - Best Comedic Actor or Actress. Now the prime time Emmy's have comedy and drama nom's for every category. The daytime Emmy's do not need that, but it could use one. Some of us were in favor of this and some were not. So what do you think? Would you like this new category or no? Should comedic and dramatic be up for the same award.

People like Carolyn H. and Bradford Anderson from GH. Tuc Watkins. Trent Dawson could go submit for this. People like Judith Chapmen, Ted S., Kirsten Storms, and others would either go for this or the dramatic.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the only problem with that is that it could end up being a filler award. Especially if it's during a time of year when no one actress is excellent in the feild of comedy. Sure we may have talented comedic actresses this year but what if next year there is no EXCELLENT comedic tape. Also there are several types of comedy. Bei t physical, witty, fantasy, and dark for example it would be really hard to judge such an award and it would be hard not to play favorites for example. All of those feilds may be "more" funny then the others it's all subject to interpretation. It's not really a show of "skill" persay.

• Members

I just think it would be a really hard award to judge and I also don't think it really specifies "talent" persay. One can be a "prop" in a scene and still be funny. Some types of comedy bleed into situational and physical comedy and I don't think those are really "acting" talents. Especially in those situations where it's not really the actor who is funny but the situation they are put in. The comedy award could also bleed into the drama category due to dark humor and comic relief situations. There is ALOT of things that could be considered humoress and I think overall it's just too broad. There are so many types of comedy, there's several key components of laughter. It would be really hard to due for daytime.

I think the best thing to do is get a group of over five hundred non-biased people and have them view tapes of the prenominations for the nominations and then do the same with a different group to decided the win.

Archived