DAYS: Joe Mascolo FIRED

• Members

There is a time and a place for everything - and what was done in the 80s cannot be done now. These are different soap times - the audience is proving that by not watching.

Taking the core families and deleting them from the soaps is suicide. I mean really. DOOL without the Dimera's or the Brady's would be a travesty and the show would lose their audience. Most who watch DOOL watch for the Dimera's and the Brady's. That's what the show is centered around. Same thing happened with GH - when did that show go down hill? The Q's are pretty much all gone, the Scorpios are pretty much all gone, the Cassadines are an endangered family - every family that WAS GH is gone. Without the core of your show, you can say goodbye to the viewer.

Shows need writers who know their show history, know the characters and know how to write compelling storylines. I don't see any of that happening with Higley. Sorry, I don't. DOOL lost the best thing they had when Hogan and his team were fired.

Firing the ONLY villain you have had on for 20 plus years? There are no words. Well, maybe one but ... nevermind.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, thats not just your opinion.

I don't think Corday will get a channce to launch his latest plan. Once Higley's stuff really drops this summer, I expect ratings to drop. I'm not a pessimist, I just know her history, see whats happening behind the scenes, and can deduce the way we are heading. NBC will cancel Days if ratings get below 2.0 again, and I'm afraid we could be headed that direction.

One last thing: Stefano washed up? That doesn't even need a comment. How could you think a character is washed up when there is so much he could do right now? Face off with John, wreak vengance on Marlena, turn EJ back to the dark side...just to name three. A character is washed up when the said character has no potential left. That is just not possible with Stefano. He's pivotal, and a HUGE part of this shows canvas.

If you doubt that, imagine the last 25 years without Stefano's presence. Pretty boring thought.......This show would have been a snooze fest.

• Members

No, Days should have fired Hogan long before they did. He was a horrible writer, worse then Dena. And I dont care what he did on some other show and won emmys, I only care about what he wrote on Days.

Victor has also been on for 20 years.

• Members

Yes, the shock and awe stuff is played out. I don't think the Dimera's as a whole are. I'm speaking more along the lines of the constant back from the dead, brainwashing, etc type deals. I mean, they have been responsible for everything and when they made Stefano responsible for what happened to Steve it reached new obscene levels. They should've at least mentioned Lawrence's involvement in this in some form. The Dimera's have been relied on as a crutch for too long IMO. I just think it's time to have some new blood. Don't wipe out all the Dimera's. Keep who you have but end Stefano's reign. They should not have had Stefano go out with a whimper like this though and that, to me, is probably what upset Joe so much and upsets everyone so much. I agree they should have at least given his character the sendoff he deserves and the sendoff Joe deserves and they should've done this more respectfully for sure. They handled it horribly, like so many other things of late. However, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the show. I feel Higley is doing a nice job. Not amazing but decent. She does know the history and she uses it. She knows the characters too. I understand not everyone likes her or what she is offering. I feel Days made a mistake letting Hogan and team go too. Hell, I defended the guy for a year. I knew the [&#33;@#&#036;%^&amp;*] Corday was pulling on him. Corday's interference destroyed everything Hogan had planned. As Ryan said, when you can't play the big 4 and you have to stretch stories out, they are bound to be boring and underwhelming and I really think Hogan did a good job during that time considering. I'm also sure Corday messed with the feud story too and made it all about Lucas/Sami/EJ <_< .

• Members

Christ.

This is so F'd up beyond belief.

On one hand, we have a talented EP in Ed Scott that is reshaping Days to be more of a soap that delivers powerful scenes, better interplay between the characters, and more vision in the long-term plots.

On the other hand, we have an EP in Ken Corday who believes that the old ideas work wonders. Hire Dena and watch her run the show into the ground yet again (I believe she's doing OK, it's just the consensus opinion of some on the board). Hire a talented writer like HS and let him twist in the wind while his plots are picked apart.

Great actors let go because there's no story left. Julie Pinson, who would have been a perfect love match for Shawn Christian's Daniel character, gone. Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer, who made a believable Shelle, fired. Now Joe Mascolo, fired OVER THE PHONE. Classless beyond belief, Corday.

You are sorely testing my patience with this show, NBC. I am sticking around because I am a loyal viewer. The only way you lose me is if you announce Reilly's triumphant return to the soap (I WILL walk if that occurs). I can't speak for the other fans of Days who are being jerked around.

• Members

Is it still possible to listen to that radio show ITZ . . . the one Roman referred to about Hogan's scripts? Is that show still posted somewhere? Thanks!

Nevermind . . . I just saw the URL on a banner. :)

• Members

I just found out about this! OMG. Are they friggin' STUPID? Hogan finally gets Stefano back and those dumbasses fire him? Over the phone?! WTH?! What now they're taking a page out of Goutman's book? This totally sucks! :angry:

• Members

I understand the outrage.

I feel it too.

But why attack people who don't see the big deal about it? Who have eloquently stated the reasons behind their attitude and views?

It kind of throws the "post your opinion freely without retaliation" theory out the window, doesn't it?

:rolleyes:

• Members

I adored DAYS for many years but stopped watching after the SSK plot, which was the most ridiculous thing ever, and I never really watched that much again, and I lost all faith in the show. I'm just waiting for it to be cancelled now.

• Members

just for the record. me and the top poster with the same first name are two different people..with that being said. DOOL's lost would be GH gain if casting can pull him in. but you have an excellent idea about him being claudias uncle Rooney. i almost forgot about that guy. she did mention that he was the one that showed her the ropes on mob life...i say right now is about as good of a time then any to bring JM onto the show. where the writers will utilize his villainess to his full potential. that will definitely send a message to ken corday/dena hacley to kiss his ass.

Archived