Days: Getting Better Or Worse?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's better, but it's been in a slump for a couple of weeks. It's becoming kind of repetitive and nothing is really happening. Fortunately, though, it's not silly or campy or entirely unrealistic (except this failing pancreas will kill you thing - ever heard of insulin shots, Lexie?).

• Members

As compared to a few months ago, getting better. It had a bit more strength during the sweeps, but I still find it compelling.

I love, love the way the different stories (in particular Bo's illness) are bringing so many characters together. Honestly, if there is a lot of that family interaction, layered stories and the characters are acting basically in character, I am pretty happy.

• Members

I think many of the things I'm loving about the show these days can be boiled down to one simple word: direction.

Whether you love the stories or hate them, there's really nothing involved in the actual writing that's ground-breaking, or getting me excited to turn on the TV at two o'clock every day. But clearly, the Ed Scott effect is working tremendously. The actors no longer look like they're grasping at straws in every scene. They definitely seem like they're given direction, are told how where their story is going and how they should play scenes. Also, the fact that the Big Four are on almost every day helps tremendously. But the Jawn story was set in motion pre-strike, so I really can't give the writers too much credit on that one. The Bo story (much like the Zach story) is setting emotions high, and that makes the show EXTREMELY watchable. But like Toups said, we all know Bo isn't going to die, so that does take some of the suspense out of it.

I like SC, but this Daniel/Chelsea story just rubs me the wrong way. One of the things I liked about Nick and Chelsea is that it made Chelsea a kid again. I don't mean "kid" like in a bad way - but we got to see her smile more, fall in love for the first time, enjoy life instead of pouting and sulking all the time. SC is old enough to be her father, and I think it really hurts her character if she dives into this older-man story, not to mention what it does to Daniel, who is already a newbie and therefore comes with his own set of problems.

Tamara Braun is a lot of fun to watch, but this role is so cookie-cutter. I'm seeing Margaret from OLTL (albeit with a stronger actress) every time she's on. I also see nothing redeeming long-term in this story. Yeah, it's fun to have a psycho on-camera, and yes, there's an incredibly talented beauty playing her. But I'm reserving judgment until I see where this story is in three months.

I don't even know where to begin with EJ and Sami. They might as well be furniture these days. I'm all for the show taking a break from these two characters, but they're both lacking sorely in any kind of personality these days.

I love Tony and Anna, and Thaao/LeAnn are doing a great job of balancing all the sturm und drang at the hospital. But again, it's not really going anyplace. It seems like mostly filler at this point.

The show is in a better place than it was last March, but let's face it - most of us were pretty content with the show in November and December, and the numbers were slowly climbing back then. I feel like it could be much better than it is. Stories we've seen before a hundred times, but being played by characters we've missed on the front-burner so it doesn't seem so cliche. Even though they kinda are. It just seems like treading water. Throwing people into life or death situations to up the suspense, but it's not really doing anything in terms of characters. People die, people get kidnapped, people give Emmy performances of tears and high-emotion - but it's not really having any kind of effect on me personally, because the big picture all seems so... shallow.

• Members

brimike is love. :wub:

Especially when it comes to the writing. I mean you can make a show as visually appealing as you want, see Y&R and B&B for example, but when the stories don't grab you, why should you invest your time in the show?

I mean, some people are comparing the show to last March or whenever, but if you look at the show right now all by itself, it's pretty average IMO. There's nothing really gripping and outstanding. The big 4 are back on the front-burner, which is good, but it all goes back to the individual stories, which aren't outstanding at the moment IMO.

Also, the dialogue has taken a turn for the worst, granted DAYS is still airing strike episodes. But seemingly from what I've seen from all the soaps airing strike episodes, the dialogue hasn't been affected tremendously like has on DAYS...

• Members

lol Funny this question was asked today. I watched DAYS on my TV today (which I havn't done for over a year). We're four years behind here and let me tell you, the US episodes are sooo much better!! I was rolling my eyes almost through out the whole episode (it was the episode when Alice "died"). Jan kept screaming out to Shawn and day dreaming etc, and the stupid special effect was just :rolleyes: . It was the dumbest thing I've seen in a along time. Then there was the bad acting from some people that shall not be mentioned (*cough* JC) .

Gosh, I'm really glad I get to see the US-eps every day instead of that crap.

• Members

I am still watching everyday, however it is rather boring. I get this feeling that the writers are trying to find where to go with these stories. Nothing seems to be going anywhere, it's like its an endless cycle of pointless chatter. For example, Bo's illness. What is the point of this drama? I mean, I don't actually believe Bo is going to die or that his donor will either. So I guess I'm just watching to be watching. John's memory loss could be something really great, if they stop holding back. Why do John & Marlena have to be together all the time? Isn't this setback supposed to create the conflict with these two? I am not seeing it. Whenever John starts to do something really evil(which I think would shake things up a bit), Marlena thwarts him, such as today when he was about to do something that would affect Victor's business. That would have created major drama, yet all this situation has done is just made John walk around basically musing about all the things he's gonna do. Well...uh...let me see him DO it. Now essentially, these are potentially great stories. I even think the acting has vastly improved. However, I don't get a sense of any impending conflict to make me totally invested in what is going on. Everyone and everything is seemingly happy, and even impending danger(such as Ava)is only musing about what they COULD do. After the plane crash(which was also somewhat tame), now all Ava does is flip through pics of the Brady's in an obsessive manner. Dang, go push Hope down a flight of steps or something, if she upsets you *that* much. Something! I mean, do we even have any real schemers left on the show to wreak some havoc? I don't remember DAYS being this *safe* and *easygoing.* The acting has greatly improved, the production has improved, and the vets we love are front and center. However, I don't believe that just having them on my screen is enough. There needs to be some sort of actual conflict going on for me to care...really. I truly believe that some serious drama with potential payoffs is what is needed right now.

Let's say John starts doing all these evil *Dimera-like* deeds and everyone(including Marlena) turns on him, thinking that the John they all know and love is gone. She turns to Roman(however still in love with John), then all of a sudden before she sleeps with Roman, John finds the disc of memories. He plays the disc and the memories just slowly start coming back to him. He then has to get to Marlena, where he inadvertently discovers she is spending the evening with Roman--*alone.* So now he must race to her to stop his lady love from doing the deed, for the ultimate reunion after their time apart. Or, instead of Roman you could even insert that white-haired doctor(from AW)to be the person Marlena turns to after all hope is lost. By now Stefano is up and active, fully aware of what is going down, and is going to try to stop John from reuniting with Marlena. So Stefano plots to....

Well, okay, you get my point. That was just an example...not *a seed I'm planting.* Just an example to make a point, that there needs to be conflict. People need to be unhappy sometimes so we the audience can watch them fight for their happiness again. We'll no doubt be cheering for them, going through the troubles with them, watching every single minute to see what's gonna happen! Not seeing that right now though. So really, I don't know where any of these stories are going or where they are leading. I remain positive, however, but as far as it getting better? Perhaps. But it still doesn't feel any different from this past Fall to me, other than John is back IMHO. But now with a new writer on the horizon, it is too soon for me to tell if the *future* will be any different.

• Members

Some people are complaining about the show and stories being boring..I for one am not really finding the show boring, just less exciting than the high octane February sweeps we got..But i'd rather have an action packed Feb Sweeps and a slower March, than the reverse..Which is what Days used to do...Boring sweeps are just bad for the ratings..

Also i would much rather have slower/boring stories that feature Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla, Victor, Caroline, Lexie, Shawn Christian, and Tamara Braun.....than boring stories that feature EJ, Sami, Lucas, Belle, Shawn, Phillip, Willow, Duck, Gabby, Chelsea, Nick, Stephanie, Max, Jeremy, and Jett....I'm just very proud of Days for finally featuring the vets on a regular basis..Now just give me more Kate, and treat me to some Sami and Nicole when Ari returns and i'll be a happy camper..

• Members

HAH!!!!!!!

Although this does bring up a good point - Days fans certainly have a different standard to measure whether the show is "better" or "worse"... much more than any other soap, I believe. When we were in Melaswen, it was "It could be worse. Dena Higley could still be writing." When we were in the middle of Alex North, it was "It could be worse. We could be in Melaswen." When we were in Tinda Lau, it was "It could be worse. It could be Alex North" When we were in Las Vegas, it was "It could be worse. We could be in Tinda Lau" During the sorority story, it was "It could be worse. We could be in Las Vegas" DH came back, and then it was "It could be worse. Sheffer could still be writing"

Talk about different levels of suckiness. :lol:

• Members

I don't care about any of the vets except Steve and Kayla if they can be considered vets. I could possibly tolerate Bo and Hope but don't care for the story they're in now. Some of the characters that I like are leaving or have left while some that I don't like are front and center so I guess I would have to say that the show is worse since I'm not enjoying it like I had been.

Archived