Days: Getting Better Or Worse?

• Members
lol I taped today's episode and it was even worse. Let's just say I can't wait to see Miss Lindell on my screen! And how annoying wasn't Sami screaming (or should I say barking) "John is the killer, arrest him!" every time he's around. Insane.

So maybe people should think back to these awful era and enjoy what we're getting now. It's not even the same show. lol

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA with the post on direction... but... the only real positive for me has been not having lucas on - and no other characters of that sort who are annoying at best, maddening most of the time, and tv smashing at worst. But in general the feel of the show has dropped to a level that might feel comfy but is also trite and downright boring.

Comparing the stike version of Days to the material we were seeing from September on (and a lot of what was happening thru the summer) is like comparing a 101 survey course to a post-grad seminar. One was well written, stimulated the brain cells, had a consistent level of excitement and passion and dialogue that was witty and refreshing -- that, btw, was Sheffer and Co's version. The current version... well the highlights were the episodes where Colleen's ashes were scattered and the plane crash / sweeps material. The in between and what's followed haven't impressed me at all. There has been no depth and plenty of bad dialogue; superficial character writing and too much focus on trying to pull the viewers in to watch someone die or almost die. Days might have a reputation for the sappy, depressing stories, but from what I remember they were spaced out or at least more solidly connected. (Bo's illness, imo, should have been slowed down. He could have still been sick during/after the plane crash, but maybe ok and some testing once they got back to Salem. But let things pick up a bit before they went to the hospital route.)

Jawn has been the only source of "humor" and his "wit" works sometimes but not always. Tony and Anna, as much as I love them, aren't doing anything for me. Steve and Kayla; I don't think higley has been much kinder to them than Sheffer was; Belle/Phillip/Shawn/Chloe - they lost my interest once MM and BB were let go. There's no reason to watch them anymore. Stephanie/Max - uh, no thank you; and the new doctor - sure if Billie was still there but as is he's a waste (a decent looking and decent acting character but not one I see a purpose in watching much less getting excited about). Sami/EJ - I don't mind them taking a backseat for a bit, plus I doubt their dialogue will be anything close to what we saw in the past... but their chemistry is still there so I might still enjoy watching them. Chelsea/Nick - I'm clueless on where they're going and don't feel connected to them anymore. So what does that leave?? Not much.

But I am happy to see the ratings go up / stay consistent - and I'm happy that a lot of people seem to be loving the show. I do want Days to stay on the air and if this is a way to get it there, I can tolerated it and go with the flow -- for now. But I'm not loving it - not even liking it much - and I'm surely not invested anymore. Again, that 101 fluff course feeling comes to mind... something one has to get thru, that requires little to no thought and tends to be boring as hell; but is a means to the end. With the end being Days either staying on NBC or getting picked up elsewhere -- otherwise they should have just ended the show with the plane going down.

• Members

Macon-Very well written post. I completely agree. Like you, even though I'm NOT enthralled, I'm thrilled that so many fans seem to like it. It means the show will survive. I don't want the "plane" to "go down". I think every thing about the show is really superficial, but if this is what it takes for it to stay on the air, then I'll just say "I'm in the minority" and retreat back to my corner. After all, I'm just one fan.

ETA: And one who doesn't own a Nielsen box, either.

Archived