B&B/Y&R: Is Lesli Kay (headed for) Young & Restless?

• Members

This hasn't been posted yet???

Lesli Kay taped scenes for Y&R late last week for another crossover with Y&R.

But this is the juicy part: she could stay if things work out. Brad Bell doesn't want to lose her, but also doesn't have a storyline ready for her (Huh? Why not the logical: The only male she isn't related to and isn't Nick: STORM!???) so he ponders whether Y&R could use her talents...

Random comment: This article made me really curious how deep Brad Bell collaborates with his sis-in-law Maria Arena Bell. Maybe he was on strike for B&B but helped out a little bit at Y&R?

As for B&B casting news: Alley Mill (Pam) AND Tracy Lindsey Melchior (Kristen) are back. The latter for a limited three episode run but Mills for a meaty storyline involing her dog tiny and lots of torment for Donna (according to SOD).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LK is such a talent and should be utilized a hell of a lot more than she is. If she ends up on Y&R, all the more power to her. Maybe she will end up with a love interest. She's a sensual, smart sexy woman, use it!

• Members

There was some talk about it in the TV Guide Canada thread below, which had it lumped in with some of the other tidbits in there (like about Martha Byrne leaving ATWT).

On the one hand, it's good that Brad is doing this to keep Lesli in the Bell family so that he can bring her back as Felicia when he needs her. At the same time, though, I agree that he's missed storyline opportunities for Felicia by not linking her with Storm - can you imagine the fallout if she fell for him and then found out he shot her mom? He's also let other storylines go by for her (like never really dealing with Dante moving to Italy and the custody issue over Dominick) and wasted her with others (like linking her with Constantine, despite the fact that Lesli said she liked that pairing). I know B&B is limited as a half hour show, but it seems like the show can only juggle two stories at a time these days when it used to do 3 or 4, and the focus on the stories du jour is what's left no room for Felicia to shine IMO.

If he was, he'll never admit it, just like he'll never admit if he was helping out Kay Alden on B&B. When he was on strike, he wasn't just on strike for B&B. He couldn't do writing work anywhere without going Fi-Core like Maria and Kay did. Since he didn't, any work he did for any show would be scab writing which will remain buried deep in the shadows.

Of course, now that the strike is over, there is nothing wrong with Brad collaborating with his sister-in-law or with Josh Griffith (who some reports said is friendly with the Bells) to make this happen from a story perspective. It's even possible this was in the works during the strike, since Brad as Executive Producer could still work with his brother Bill Jr (who represents business affairs for the Bell companies that own B&B and co-own Y&R with SONY) and with Griffith (as Y&R's EP) to get the contract issues settled, but they wanted to wait until the strike was over to let the regular writing teams make the transition happen on screen.

The new SOD also says that Melchior had a strong audition at Y&R for a new role named Erin; maybe she'll wind up working with her B&B sister if she gets it. Although Tracy and Lesli only shared a few short stints together on B&B (including the three episode stint coming up), Y&R could still have one of those "have we met?" moments if Felicia meets Erin and it's Tracy in the role.

As for Alley Mills and Pam, I'm glad they're following up on this. While it was obvious they introduced Pam into the story as a red herring in Stephanie's shooting, Mills had lots of strong moments in those episodes before they had Ann summon her back to Chicago. Hopefully Betty White will come back too at some point.

• Members

Adrienne Frantz mentioned in an interview that Josh Griffith and Brad Bell were very good friends, coupled with Bradley's sister-in-law now at Y&R, I think that has with how much more closely linked the two Bell soaps appear to be these days.

Glad to have Ally Mills back, Lindsey Melchior not so much...

• Members

Tracy Melchoir already was on Y&R actually. She was a bad casting choice and was immediately recast. The role was Veronica Landers, crazy ex-wife to Nikki's husband Joshua who later shot Nikki. Odd that she'd even consider a role there given the history. Would be interesting to see her get it though. I wonder how it'll be on the B&B set since Heather Tom replaced her on OLTL.

BTW SheilaForever, you need to read the Suds report for full details on Felicia @ Y&R and tons more for B&B. Nelson did a set tour and has a HUGE Susan Flannery interview coming up on Tuesday.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Mar 1 2008, 06:32 PM)
Tracy Melchoir already was on Y&R actually. She was a bad casting choice and was immediately recast. The role was Veronica Landers, crazy ex-wife to Nikki's husband Joshua who later shot Nikki. Odd that she'd even consider a role there given the history. Would be interesting to see her get it though.

It wouldn't be the first time Y&R had an actor playing multiple roles. Quinn Redekker was Nick Reed and Rex Sterling/Brian Romalotti. Grant Cramer was Shawn Garrett before his short run, years later, as Adam Hunter. Melinda Cordell was April's mom Dorothy Stevens a decade before she became Dru's ballet teacher, Madame Chauvin. And years before Lynn Marie Latham came up with her version of Brad's past, Marilyn Alex played Brad Carlton's mom in one or two episodes around the time Brad came on, and she came back a few years later to play Sheila's mom Molly. So Tracy wouldn't be the first. As for the history, maybe Tracy realized she was wrong for the role of Veronica after all, so she didn't hold a grudge, especially after having a positive experience with the Bell soaps after being cast as Kristen on B&B.

It's possible they may not have been around each other since Kristen's back for her parents' anniversary party, and I somehow don't see Katie on the invite list for that bash. And Tracy might not hold any ill will against Heather directly since it was TPTB at OLTL who chose to recast Kelly. Heather just happened to be the person who got the job.

• Members

This whole subject makes my blood boil. Brad Bell's excuses about not using Lesli Kay because B&B is a half-hour show are beyond pitiful. So, what, they were too busy revisiting Taylor/Nick/Brooke/Ridge for the billionth time? A SL that has been told and retold through the prism of Taylor/Ridge/Brooke since 1990? Spare me.

Oh, and when we didn't have T/N/B/R, we had waste-of-space Constantine and some sub-par AI singing stinking up the screen all summer long. LK was sidelined for that piece of sh!t story?

The truth is, Brad Bell doesn't have any new ideas. He's just retelling the same old ones. That's why he is finding it impossible to scratch up some material for an exciting and worthy actress who has the potential to be Susan Flannery's successor. At least he's offering Y&R a chance on her but that, too, makes no sense and is totally counter-intuitive. Why not just send Ashley, a proven fan-fave, back to rebuild the decimated Abbotts? What would Y&R want with a random Forrester?

B&B could be top-notch, as powerful as Y&R with its fine cast. I don't know why Brad Bell doesn't ask Alden or Mulcahey or even David Shaughnessy for ideas on how to best utilize LK, HT, ED, WdV and others. I'm sure they could come up with material that could take B&B beyond the past 20 years and into the next 20. Instead, B&B just feels like it is treading water. As usual.

Don't know why I'm all worked up about this but right now I'm so mad I could spit! (to coin an old Santa Barbara promo from 1987)

• Members

LOL at the Santa Barbara promo. Love those ads.

I completely agree with all of the above and have ranted myself in another thread somewhere. As much as I adore Eileen Davidson, she doesn't bring anything to B&B that couldn't be achieved through another actress and character if they insist on backburnering her. Y&R need her a hell of a lot more than the Forresters and the actress is much more likely to get a story over there. And I'm sorry but I've seen the same scenes repeated ad nauseum for months nay years. Trim out the repetition and write a bloody B story for the love of God! Even if we have to stick to one story, Lesli Kay falling in love with her mother's shooter could be explosive and the substitution could mean that Hunter Tylo might have functioning vocal chords at a week's end.

I just hope that now the writer's strike is over, Patrick Mulcahey will go back to shaping the story outlines. He's the only creative force of the past 5 years that really seems to influence Brad Bell in any positive way. In fact I really wish Brad would hand over the HW position because even great story ideas tend to be butchered in some way or forgotten about. There was so much potential in the Mulcahey influenced stories of Stephanie's heart attack/taking over FC. We should still be feeling the repercussions of that today but instead it was back to The Love That's Name Has Been Spoken for the Past 18 Years and American Idol: Rejects. I mean Eric remarried Brooke! That should have been huge but the whole thing was swept away with Lesley Ann Down pole vaulting over a bannister.

The only saving grace is that Bell has the cast in a good shape right now and if the show commits to it, it could really spin gold this year.

Archived