ATWT Casting News

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a bit tired of hearing how "vets" are being dumped in favor of newbies. ATWT with is rich history is full of vets ranging from Bob/Kim/Lucinda/Susan/Babs to Tom/Margo to Holden/Emily/Lily. Part of the problem with Carjack is that they've been through the ringer so many times over the past 10 years that is kind of old. Same thing with Lily and Holden. The ability to blend new blood (characters and recasts) is part of what has made soaps survive as long as they have. C'mon if Grey's Anatomy of DH had to produce 250 episodes a year with their boring characters they wouldn't have last a single year. I'm not thrilled with making Mike younger -- but they certainly don't need older characters. I, for one, am not rooting for shows to fail, but a single recast won't make a long-term difference.

• Members

Not affronting history? You mean like Meg's pregnancy? :mellow: Ask the gay viewers whether they're offended or not! 2008 is the death date because all indications suggest an outright refusal to fix what's broken, which wasn't the case in the 80's and 90's. A new year should have given ATWT a fresh start, but that will not be the case. There is no intention of replacing the writers or cutting the cast's dead weight. Most of the departing actors are voluntarily jumping ship. If Passanante was the writer in 1998, she would be gone by now. She should have been once the strike ended. P&G is not hands on now. Fan outcry means less than zero. Even with ratings on the upswing (due to weaker competition, not the show's strengths), huge opportunities are squandered. Scott Bryce's return. Cady McClain's return. A dignified portrayal of Nuke. 2007 was a chance to do many great things, and that alignment of possibilities probably won't come again. Hence the last rites.

• Members

I agree that P&G is not hands on now, and Goutman has more power than any other EP has ever had, but... Weren't we complaining 5-10 years ago about how hands on P&G was, how stupid MADD was, what a bitch she was? Now we complain that P&G is not hands on? I think we just need a better EP, not P&G getting their fingers back in the bowl. Maybe there is a bit of a refusal to fix what's broken now, but for much of the 90s what was broken was usually fixed with something just as bad or worse. Too many Grimaldis? Let's have the Kasnoffs instead. Don't like the Kasnoffs? How about all Molly, all the time? Don't like Molly? Here, have some Ravid every day for 18 months.

I don't know if the show is stronger or weaker now than it was in the 90s. But the show has been to low spots before and I don't see how 2008 is the end all of a sudden. Lucinda is still there. Bob and Kim are still there. Barbara is still there. Among other things, those three things are amazing and reason enough that this dry spell isn't really any worse than any other dry spell in history.

Passanante was really good when she took over in 2005. Who knows, maybe she was just burnt out, and with the last 3 months on vacation, maybe she will come out strong in 2008 like she did in 2005 (and the show WAS on a roll in summer 05.) I just think it's laughable to proclaim death now when this show has been on for 52 years, some of which were crappy.

• Members

^^ I agree. He just doesn't seem like the same guy that fell in love with Rosanna and worked on cars and rode a motorcycle and lusted after Carly... He just doesn't have that look to me. LOL!!

And P.S.--Perhaps CBS knew they'd get backlash about casting such a newbie and removed it from the site. Kinda like holding a gun as the cops see a dead body below you and then hiding the gun behind your back.

Archived