2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

She's not the only one, Jonathan ;):( Many wish they'd gotten out sooner.

I remember Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans always talking about how Curtis made their scenes in the 80s better. She wasn't afraid to say in the middle of taping "Hey, this isn't working.." and would make changes. You saw that on screen -- the effort that was put in. Can you imagine a director/producer being able to do that now? Everything is (sadly) about staying on budget, not incurring overtime, etc.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shelley Curtis did so much great work and it seems she's just disgusted with how the industry has degenerated.

It's interesting to note that it was Shelley Curtis and NOT one of the Cordays who offered Suzanne Rogers her job back when she left the show in the mid 80s due to her treatments and surgery for MG. She's the producer who thought Suzanne had something DAYS needed back. So in my books Shelley Curtis is an A+.

Also, loved her quote that plastic surgery is 'to die for'. Good, honest answer. She looks terrific.

• Members

Yeah, I've heard similar things about her from the actors at GH. Maurice Bernard, Anthony Geary, Vanessa Marcil, and Lynn Herring have all talked about how giving and committed to the work Curtis was. She seemed like such an actor's producer/director.

The part where she said "a lot of us were so good that we stayed too long at the party" was very telling. I assume she meant too many people have been passed around from show to show and those people have let the power they've gained in the industry go to their heads. It also ties into how the industry doesn't appear to be welcoming of new blood.

• Members

Can I just say Amen?!! Although Richard Culliton is incredible with dialogue & has had some great character/storylines to his credit.

But, was also created by Wendy Riche. That was when Wendy's pitch beat out Claire Labine's show bible, amazingly enough!

But, yeah, you could just see Richard taking it way over the top, couldn't you? The recognizable hand of some of these writers, ... Wasn't he HW & behind the way that Katherine & Stefan met on GH? Totally absurd idea that that could've been turned into a romance from that beginning! Maybe it would've flown in the 80s, but not in the 90s.

Hmm? I dunno what's unclear, but I guess just that I am noting the information, from credits, not from news of what may be to come. Better?

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Sep 4 2008, 12:21 PM)
Hmm? I dunno what's unclear, but I guess just that I am noting the information, from credits, not from news of what may be to come. Better?

Yeah, well, that's what we don't understand: she's regularly in the credits, yet her departure has been announced quite some time ago. It probably has to do with he fact that she had to write tons of AMC breakdowns before leaving...

• Members

Tom Casiello's latest blog has an interesting tidbit. He waxes poetic about Tuesday's US aired Y&R episode and did some digging (probably calling his friend Hogan Sheffer) and found out that the breakdown (which Casiello thought was brillian) was written by Bell/Sheffer and the dialog by Janice Ferri (who's back at Y&R as a scriptwriter). She dropped the "Esser" name by the way, so I guess she's getting divorced.

So, Toupsy, now we know why there are so many days where the writing credits only list the scriptwriter. Not only is Marla Kanelos doing five to six breakdowns a month but Hogie is doing a bunch. That's great. He can really get a feel for the show that way.

• Members

Judging by the last 5-6 episodes, consistency of quality is up. There are still tonal differences between episodes...but each episode is CONSISTENTLY good. That is what I have been wishing for so long.

After Thursday's cliffhanger (Victor summoning Nick and Vic into his new "study")...I am now in AGONY waiting until Monday to see what he says. That is a PERFECT cliffhanger. No car crash or gun shot. A simple difficult (or happy?) conversation.... These writers UNDERSTAND what an audience wants.

I mean, I am literally jittery :-)...waiting until Monday's show. The three day respite seems torturous. That is a GREAT thing. That is what daytime should be.

So, for now (not making any long-term assumptions...not even having hope for anything but today...just like Tom Casiello counsels us), I am in bliss. My show is entertaining, history-based (sue me...I like the retcons...they are most based in historical possibility IMO), consistently written, with the suspense/drama based in relationships/conversations and not really events. THAT is what I love.

Moreover, the writing is slowly revealing characters in subtle ways (Adam banishing Zapato, Victor understanding Adam by what he does "when no one is looking", Heather stealing the letter and tolerating mild abuse).

I watch the show with people who have MUCH LESS commitment than I. But they watch, because it is my thing. In the last two weeks, they have been RUSHING to turn on the show...can't wait to see the next episode. BEFORE ME. That is a sign of a MUCH better show.

It could all be gone tomorrow...but that doesn't matter. For today, the show is great.

• Members

I wish someone interviewed Maria Arena Bell... Like a full, five-pages, from her beginnings onwards kind of interview...

P. S. This team is still insane:

Head Writer

Maria Arena Bell

Co-Head Writer

Hogan Sheffer

Associate Head Writers

Scott Hamner (currently multi-tasking around instead of being fired)

Beth Milstein (script editor)

Natalie Minardi Slater (on maternity leave)

Breakdown Writers

Paula Cwikly

Jay Gibson

Marla Kanelos

James Stanley

Scriptwriters

Amanda L. Beall

Cherie Bennett & Jeff Gottesfeld

Janice Ferri Esser

Eric Freiwald & Linda Schreiber

Thom Racina

Lisa Seidman

Sandra Weintraub

And the show needs a strong executive producer.

Archived