ATWT Wednesday November 21

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He will on the day that pigs begin to fly. I can see him, however, arranging to have the place raided on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. Hope Kit stays around for awhile--- Dallas needs a girlfriend, and Bonnie needs a sista on her case. For that matter Carly needs a sista friend. I just can't believe that Carly STILL has no conept of how to handle money. I guess asking Ro for advice was just out of the question.

• Members

My problem with Carly is that she's been known for years to be this hard-ass, take-no-[!@#$%^&*] character. She's gone toe-to-toe with Craig no more than one occasion. Her reputation is that she knows how to take care of herself. But how is she being herself if she is constantly allowing herself to come out looking pathetic every single time she comes up with some scheme to "get Jack back." Any self-respecting woman would have stopped after the first couple of tries because no man, not your soul mate, not your little "G-man," is worth making an ass out of yourself, time after time. I have no doubt that Carly loves her children. No doubt in my mind. But if making Jack think she was dying meant making the kids think she was dying, she would have done it without thinking twice. I firmly believe in my mind that Carly's idea of "getting the family back together" consists most importantly of getting Jack back first, then sorting out any problems she might have with Parker or JJ, or even Sage for that matter, because if these writers have any sense, they're gonna realize that one of these days, Sage isn't going to be so easy for Carly and Jack to lie to anymore. She's gonna start catching on to things and she'll end up just like her pal Faith, more worried about her parents' love life than about being a kid and enjoying pre-adolescence (because Faith should count herself damn lucky that she hasn't been SORASed to high heavens yet).

I truly hate to say this because I am by no means at all the kind of person who has to bring religion into everything and try to force it on everybody, but there's no better way to say it: Carly needs her some Jesus.

• Members

The only thing I'll dispute is that Carly is any different now, than she's always ultimately been. For all her "toe to toe" confrontations with Craig, she always made the foolish choice, ultimately trusting him when she had no business doing so. Trusting him always backfired on her. He married Babs, and tried to get her in at BRO behind Barb's back; Carly is nearly charged along with him for Barb's attempted murder. He "describes" Babs' line to a creatively blocked Carly, and she winds up humiliated. I can't remember how many times Carly has foolishly trusted someone when she shouldn't. Les and Rose are two who come immediately to mind.

Carly doesn't need Jesus, she needs better writers. Ones that will empower her, not continually make her dependant on anyone (whether that's Jack, Craig, Simon or even Ro) to earn a living or be "successful". Or give it to her, and then mysteriously "forget" about it, like when she got part of BRO after Barb's tumor, then it was never mentioned again. I've never experienced a character who was consistantly kept "down" and never given any meaningful success.

Ultimately, I have more problems with Carly's methods, than her values. I consider Carly a good mother and a loyal friend. But she always goes from "supportive" to "overboard". She knows what the "right thing" is, she just decides to help "at all costs". Helping Lily "cover" up Julia's death...bad. Keeping her promise to Ro to care for Rory/Billy/JD....bad. Nick...bad.

But, I give her all the credit as compared to someone like Katie or Meg, who are morally bankrupt. IMO.

• Members

With even Henry and Vienna collecting dust, I don't see a long shelf life for Oakdale's latest experiment in diversity.

All My Shadows: You hit all the right notes in your post. But as far as Jesus, think back to Carly sitting in church with Jack and the minister, never letting on that she had a lie bigger than Canada on her conscience. :blink:

Archived