Pope to Visit NY

Shawn

• Members

Just what NY needs. This pope is an ex-knotzie (sp?) and a man who has pronounced to the world that any non Catholics will burn in hell. :rolleyes:

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynamic/sto...mp;SECTION=HOME

Pope to visit ground zero, Yankee Stadium, Westchester

By RACHEL ZOLL

AP Religion Writer

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Pope Benedict XVI will make his first visit to the United States as pontiff next year, including ground zero in Lower Manhattan, a Westchester County seminary and a Mass at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Archbishop Pietro Sambi told the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops on Monday that Benedict will travel to Washington and New York from April 15-20.

On April 18, the pope will address the United Nations and participate in an ecumenical service at a New York parish, according to the Archdiocese of New York.

A morning Mass with priests, deacons and members of religious orders will be held on April 19 in Saint Patrick's Cathedral, followed by a visit to Saint Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers, where the Pope will participate in an event with youth and young people.

Pope Benedict will spend his last day in New York by visiting ground zero, and by celebrating the Mass in Yankee Stadium.

The pope will visit the site of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York to show "solidarity with those who have died, with their families and with all those who wish an end of violence and in the search of peace," said Sambi, the Vatican's ambassador to the U.S.

The visit will take place on the third anniversary of Benedict's election to succeed Pope John Paul II, who died in April 2005.

An official welcome reception for Benedict will be held at the White House on April 16, Sambi said.

"The pope will not travel much, but he will address himself to the people of the United States and the whole Catholic Church," Sambi said.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep! I did not see Giuliani as a hero during 9/11. He used that moment as an opportunity to get into the good graces of New Yorkers who, by that time, were pretty fed up with him. He also did it for publicity and good PR. The real heroes behind the clean up of 9/11 would be Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and the police and firefighters and EMTs that day. Rudy is too much of an opportunist to get my vote and will say one thing and cut backroom deals to screw everyone else. He is interested in what is right for him as a politician rather than what is right for the people. I do not trust him.

• Members

Shawn I forgot to add this...you will not believe this but my friend in Long Branch, New Jersey. Her husband is former NYC Mayor, Ed Koch's, nephew. Apparently, Uncle Eddie is now selling graveyard plots to pass up the time these days and they have nothing to do with him. He has pretty much gone senile I guess, according to her ;)

I figure since we are discussing NYC mayors I might as well just throw that in there ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived