Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

It's been an incredibly long time since I posted here (very busy in personal life..), but these backstage ramblings have me pissed. Days was getting better. There was no reason for me to complain for the first time in over a decade. The show seemed like it had some momentum heading into the strike.

For that reason I almost understand Corday's need to hire a scab. He felt the need to keep the show moving, as 2008 is an important year. But Higley...Indian Goo, Bad D-Acting Villans, Tony/Sami/Lucas Loving Higley. I mean the extras hired for her silly GH Style storylines couldn't get a job in a small town theatre troup. She destroyed Days to the point I jumped up and down when Reilly returned. Whats even more Sad, the writers before her, C&B, were not that bad. SHE made the show bad in a hurry.

Now it looks like from post above that we MAY be avoiding total disaster since the rules of the WGA agreement force Hogan back upon Corday. I hope....

But as stated above, will someone, anyone, TPTB at Sony or NBC, or whomever, hold this man (Corday) accountable for once? He has destoryed an american Icon that his very savy parents worked on all their lives, and he hasn't ever been held accountable for any of his many poor actions regarding this show. Ted and Betty would have never forseen just how poorly their son would do, but just five years into the ninties, I knew he would kill this show. He didn't have the art or soap niche his parents displayed when they ran Days, , so Ken allowed JER to shock us into watching. It bought him ten years or so, but it just delayed the inevitable. This man never got Days. I knew that much fifteen years ago, and I still know it now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The big test will be to see how well Latham gets on with Josh Griffith when she returns since Griffith was given so much power during the strike. Will there be a power struggle that forces Latham out? Anyone remember what happened to AW during the 88 strike, when Donna Swajeski took and and when it was time for Harding LeMay to come back, he left after a month because Swajeski was used to her the power she had during the strike as Head Writer.

I really can't see all 18 of Latham's friends coming back, that's way too much of an expense and is the biggest writing team in daytime at the moment.

• Members

<----------Will give up Y&R completely if LML returns. I haven't watched that much of Y&R lately. But I plan on seeing it this week again. But if LML returns and stays I wont be watching Y&R anymore. I have successfully not seen the show with her at the helm.

• Members

This is the latest from the TVGUIDE website..I highlighted part could apply to Days..

WGA Boards Meet and Approve Deal: Showrunners Can Return to Work Monday

The boards for both branches of the Writers Guild of America on Sunday unanimously approved the tentative deal reached on a new contract. The boards are also taking the final decision on liftng the strike to membership in a vote on Tuesday.

In the meantime, showrunners will get going even sooner, heading back to work Monday to get crews set up and production facilities going again, as will writers who have producing duties on their shows. Ballots to ratify the three-year deal are also going out to members, and will be returned within a 10-12 day period.

Patric Verrone commented on the deal agreement, saying, "This is the best deal this guild has bargained for in 30 years."

Verrone also went on to praise the work of the three CEOs who stepped up in the decisive moments of negotiations, including News Corp. chief Peter Chernin, Disney head Robert Iger and CBS' top dog, Leslie Moonves. Until the business chiefs sat down at the bargaining table, Verrone said, "We spent about three months getting nowehere."

In light of the huge support among writers for the deals in members' meetings on both coasts Saturday, it's expected that they'll be in favor to end the strike in Tuesday's vote, and be able to return to work as early as Wednesday. For writers pushed out of contracts in force majeure situations, many will be hired back, but in a case-by-case scenario, in which the status of each show will affect the deals.

As the final logistical steps are taking place, as least most of Hollywood will start getting back into motion.

• Members

Listen All:

If Corday wants Sheffer gone,he's gone. Sheffer might be back because of guild rules etc, but it will only be for the remainder of his cycle.

At the conclusion of the 1988 strike, P&G had to rehire Harding LeMay who had been hired a few weeks before the strike started but his material hadn't really aired (Sheri Anderson was the headwriter pre strike). NBC brought in Swajeski and company and were thrilled with her work. They brought back Lemay for 9 weeks exactly then dumped him and installed Swajeski and a bunch of writers who had never written in soaps before (Mimi Leahey, Janet Iacubuzio, Nerissa Radel, Michael Zazlow and Susan Hufford). Swajeski wrote teh show for 4 years.

Sheffer was saddled with a lot of stuff beyond his control at Days, but the stuff he did have control over was god-awful. He didn't get Days according to Sony and Corday and they want him out.

Archived