Writer's Strike Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If anything, I don't see Hogan wanting to come back and work for Corday. Corday will probably have to pay off the remainder of Hogan's contract, like he's currently doing with JER. Can you guys imagine the hostility between Hogan and Coday during meetings? I so can't imagine them working together again. The breakdown/script writers are probably another story since they have very short contracts and all....

• Administrator

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/0...-for-again.html

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wait -- What Are We Voting For Again?

For clarity -- and because not everyone could get to one of the meetings last night in NY or LA -- here's a handy little FAQ for some of the questions we're hearing.

What's the 48 hour vote for again?

It's a vote on whether or not to lift the strike (which in the Constitution is called "the restraining order".) If the vote passes, writers can go back to work.

It's not a vote on the contract, that vote is completely separate, and will be a 10-days' notice vote.

When does the 48 hours start?

It should start today, when we get notified. The notification is the trigger of the 48 hours. The Guild staff are all working like crazy today to make that happen by early this afternoon.

How will we be notified of the 48 hour vote?

By email and robocall. Also, the vote will be publicized on the WGA website, and obviously we'll be talking about it here at UH as well.

When will the vote itself take place?

The goal is Tuesday afternoon/evening. A meeting will be called for sometime Tuesday (48 hours from the time of notification) and will probably be at the WGA Theater.

But it won't be an informational meeting; it's just a time window to come and vote, like a polling place.

Do I have to vote in person?

You can vote in person or by proxy. (Proxy voting is usually by fax.) Because of the time limitations, you won't be able to vote by mail ballot.

If the vote passes, when's the earliest we could be back at work?

Wednesday. And if it doesn't pass, we'll continue striking until the contract vote is done (10 days.)

And what about the contract vote?

It's a separate vote. Voting on the contract will be 10 days' notice.

There will be pro and con statements on the proposed contract, mail-in ballots, and then a meeting for casting ballots in person or by proxy.

What if we vote the contract down?

It goes back to negotiation. As a practical matter, it's a gamble.

It could mean that we get movement on the streaming window (the area of most concern to most people.) It could also mean that the CEO's sweep everything off the table and demand to start over.

But these are considerations for the 10 day period, when we debate and discuss the deal and whether we want to ratify it.

So the most important thing: VOTE.

• Administrator

Just throwing this out there as speculation............There is a possibilty of a 3rd party taking over as Head Writer.....It depend on what will happen with Hogan and *the writer*. One thing for sure......it's a freakin mess behind the scenes at DAYS right now. Ken Corday f'ucked up badly and EVERYONE knows it.

• Members

You know, I think with all of this, Ken Corday is sending Days into a spiral of back-stage hell that Days has not faced in years, if ever.

This is just some fantasy now practically, but its time for Corday to go. I know it'll never happen, but he gets worse by the year.

• Members

Interesting. I'm not surprised. Corday just needs to get the hell out and have Ed run things. He has no idea what he is doing and the fact that everyone knows he messed up is a good thing. Maybe he will come to his senses and make the right decision and bring Hogan and co back. If not, then I hope if it is a third part, they are a better option then Higley. Based on what you said, Toups, are you suggesting that Hogan staying on board is dependent on him getting along with Higley (or *the writer*)? I know you can't say much. I'm just trying to understand what your saying.

As far as Hogan goes, he may feel a responsibility for him and his team to go back and prove themselves since many consider his reign a failure. I mean, based on what Tom Casiello said, they all were excited about what they were doing so maybe they figure they can go back and salvage things. I mean, JER and Corday didn't seem to get along and there was indications Corday only brought JER back due to NBC so that provides hope the same can happen to Hogan, regardless of what happened. Sure, there will be tension but who the hell knows is going down and why all this is happening. It's a big mess that I wish could be ironed out...like now :lol:.

I just wish we knew what the chances were of Higley (or *the writer*) staying on board now. I think they took a huge hit but I would love to hear news that she is at least on her way out.

• Members

It's funny to me how always picks the most crucial and important of times to make the biggest, boldest mistakes.

He never fails to completely astound me and boggle my mind. If the behind-the-scenes staff is in total disarray, it's eventually going to translate on-screen and it's just going to be a total disaster. Bad, bad timing for a shakeup like this. March is less than a month away.

This feels like the end to me. It feels like the ship is going down and the captain is just grabbing onto anything he can to stay afloat.

I hope that Corday gets his ass sued for millions. Yes, I realize he can't afford it. Yes, I realize that the show would probably be cancelled as result. But damn it... I want him to PAAAAAY. I want him to pay for all the stupid mistakes he's made over the last decade and a half, and I want him to pay dearly. I want him to be slapped in the face with the realizations of all his stupid mistakes, and I want him to be slapped HARD.

There's only one good thing about Ken Corday, and that's the fact that he keeps Days a show flourishing with veterans. That's where the positives end.

Archived