Kay Alden's Age?

• Members

Knots was an ensemble, but it was centered around Gary and Valene, from Dallas. Joan Van Ark carried that show until LML arrived and had her feeding her children their pets!

I also disagree that JVA's run was cartoonish at Y&R. She added more depth and layers to that role than the one note cartoon Judith Chapman plays. She has chemistry with everyone, was youthful, truly felt like trailer trash and could be a total bitch when she needed, as well as a sympathetic character. I think the role of Gloria has been ruined without her, but she;d never return with LML at the helm.

BTW, yes her husband is said to be just as bad as she is. Lots of reports from major Y&R actors. John Pleshette, an original cast member turned writer, was fired to critiquing one of their scripts. Keep in mind he's the one who got Latham/Lechowick their first major job in Hollywood. They are VILE.

As for budget cuts, I doubt it considering their expensive plot coming up. Plus she's replaced everyone she fired with her friends. The budget is probably in worse shape now.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chris B is right, Y&R's budget has never been an issue, ever. The Bell family and SONY keep it running smoothly with plenty of money, Y&R is the most profitable soap on the air and not the most expensive one to produce (that distinction, sadly, goes to DAYS).

Joan Van Ark has said, on record, that she quit KL because LML and BL made Val 'the village idiot'. Here is a portion of an interview Joan Van Ark gave regarding LML and BL:

JVA: Oh right, right. That one did ask a lot of me. I think the writers tested me with that one. I think they were testing me, sending me up. Val’s going to stir-fry the kids’ pets … how much crazier could she have gotten? But I guess this person from Detroit enjoyed it and that’s what the writers were going for. Maybe he saw it as a fun variation on a constant, repetitive theme.

AS: So you really didn’t like what they were doing with Val at that time.

JVA: No I really didn’t. I’m thinking of two particular writers who liked making fun of Val. Before, I’d go to David Jacobs, who was the creator and executive producer of the show and I’d talk about certain scenes and tweak them, but in this case I didn’t object or confront the two writers … there wasn’t allowed to be a dialogue.

AS: Were these two just two writers? Did you talk to the head writers?

JVA: These were the head writers at the time.

AS: Oh, (Lynn Marie) Latham and (Bernard) Lechowick were the ones you didn’t like. That’s interesting.

JVA (hesitantly): I guess you know the behind the scenes things that were going on then.

AS: Well, I interviewed John Pleshette about a month ago and he couldn’t stand them.

JVA: They came into a show that was established and … I really don’t know if I should be saying this here … but there was a little bit of turning it upside down. God bless ‘em for going on and having successful careers (after Knots) but it became more and more challenging to play Val the way they wrote for her. (http://www.knotslandingonline.com/joan_van_ark_interview.html)

Surprise Surprise that Joan Van Ark quit Y&R when LML came aboard.

Donna Mills also hated LML and BL...she's stated numerous times that the loss of Peter Dunne midway through season 6 of the show (also the time LML and BL arrived) was the worst thing that happened to the show.

I also have no doubt that the Y&R set is not a happy one. Gone are the days when Y&R had a full rehearsal and then a few takes for each scene. Jess Walton noted in a Boston TV interview that now the rehearsals are taped and that 'if they are good enough' they go with the filmed rehearsal and don't film the scene again.

Archived